Outlander

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Outlander

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Might be due to translation - I'm referring to the *cough* dialogue during the more intimate scenes between Jamie and Claire. *cough*
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Ohhhhhhh! *cough* You mean the ah *cough* from the...ah...what're they called? Oh, yeah, horses...yeah...uh-huh...yeah...*cough* like that. :redeyeroll: (I don't know what I was expecting to see, but it was a whole lot more than I'd ever have thunk when I got up that morning.)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:47 am

Yes, exactly that. :lol: :lol: Credits to Sam and Caitriona for managing not to make it look and sound ridiculous. Though I imagine there was a lot of giggling going on during rehearsals and shooting...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 am

I love that Jamie was such an innocent - such a cutie!

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 am

shireling wrote:I love that Jamie was such an innocent - such a cutie!

Yes, and Sam pulls that off perfectly. There's not a single moment he looks ridiculous. :yes: This show really has some great (new) actors (and Graham outshines them).

Poor Tobias has been passed the buck. :lol: One just loves to hate him as Black Jack, and as Frank, he's great as well. His desperation, frustration and anger are clearly showing. I could understand why he beat the guys to a pulp, who tried to set him up. Understandably. At first, he was defending himself (though he came prepared, so he probably expected it to be a set-up in first place). And all of a sudden his Black-Jack genes got the worse of him and he couldn't stop beating the guy. I'm not sure how Frank turns out to be (whether he'll turn into a bad guy), but this show really has got me hooked.

I'm not sure whether I can stand watching the finale - I read what's up ahead, and I suppose it's incredibly hard to watch.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

Padfoot wrote:
shireling wrote:I love that Jamie was such an innocent - such a cutie!

Yes, and Sam pulls that off perfectly. There's not a single moment he looks ridiculous. :yes: This show really has some great (new) actors (and Graham outshines them).

Poor Tobias has been passed the buck. :lol: One just loves to hate him as Black Jack, and as Frank, he's great as well. His desperation, frustration and anger are clearly showing. I could understand why he beat the guys to a pulp, who tried to set him up. Understandably. At first, he was defending himself (though he came prepared, so he probably expected it to be a set-up in first place). And all of a sudden his Black-Jack genes got the worse of him and he couldn't stop beating the guy. I'm not sure how Frank turns out to be (whether he'll turn into a bad guy), but this show really has got me hooked.

I'm not sure whether I can stand watching the finale - I read what's up ahead, and I suppose it's incredibly hard to watch.

Oh, yeah, it is, very. They give you a heads up at the beginning, but nothing prepares you for this.

What keeps crossing my mind is the whole time travel paradox. At what point is it okay for Black Jack to take a one way trip to the Promised Land? Does he have children, at this point, one of whom will grow up to be the ancestor of Frank? And if Claire dies in the past, she ain't coming back to the future...man, this is so complicated! Added to that the second season ender, and those best-laid plan - it's mind-boggling!

And there's that tug of war between the Laird and Dougal. Clearly, Dougal resents his physically-impaired brother (as if to say, "I'm the one with a healthy pair of legs - I should be chief, not that cripple!") The guy is one big walking kilt-full of arrogance and ego, but I still don't think he'd go for the ring if it meant betraying any and all that he holds dear.

Anyway, it is one beautiful show :) ...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:04 pm

I read a few Amazon reviews, and they all in unison complain about the German translation (so much for cheesy). Which means, I need to get my hands on that DVD as soon as it's possible... The second 8 episodes will be available in December. It's a shame!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 pm

I love the brogues - gotta have the brogues (how do they dub the brogues in German?) I'm also wondering, if the actors that are doing the dubbing, are speaking Gaelic or are you hearing the actual voices of the original guys? Geeze, I want to hear your version so much!

I gotta tell you this: When I was high school, the movie Cabaret was playing, and a handful of my friends in the drama club wanted sprung on this one Friday afternoon to go to the matinee.

So, Ruthie Klepek - true name - calls my house, pretending to be my daughter, and complaining of food poisoning (this was after lunch.) So, I pick her up, pick up the rest that were hanging out at another kid's house, and we went to the movie.

And I'm translating the German - which was not that great, but a whole lot better than it is now. Oh, it was hilarious! There were no subtitles for that (not a one), and my all-time favorite scene was with Michael York, confronting a bunch of Brown Shirts at their kiosk.

He looks pointedly at one of them, and says, "You and your organization are pure crap, sir!"
Upon which the dude saunters on over, hands behind his back, pauses and says, "Was?"
To which Mr. York responds, "Dieses Alle Scheiße!" - which was not an exact translation, but I did learn a new word :D . Those were great times *sigh* .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Brogues are shoes, right?

The Gaelic is a mix. The parts where the Highlanders talk to each other in Gaelic are clearly the original voices. But sometimes - the wedding vows - it's definitely the actors who do the dubbing.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Padfoot wrote:Brogues are shoes, right?

They're both shoes and a manner of speaking. As for the shoes, they were made of untanned leather, of a kind that used to be worn in Ireland and the Scottish Highlands. They're still made, but, of better quality and appearance - these are really comfortable shoes. It just also happens that the word refers to Irish and Scottish accents, too.

The Gaelic is a mix. The parts where the Highlanders talk to each other in Gaelic are clearly the original voices. But sometimes - the wedding vows - it's definitely the actors who do the dubbing.

I don't think I'd like that :/ . But if it were all I had for the time being, I'd go with it.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Ah! I know brogues only in terms of shoes. The accent is non-existant in the dubbed version :cry: another reason why I want to watch the original version. And I very much prefer the original actors' voices when it comes to the Gaelic parts.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Padfoot wrote:Ah! I know brogues only in terms of shoes. The accent is non-existant in the dubbed version :cry: another reason why I want to watch the original version. And I very much prefer the original actors' voices when it comes to the Gaelic parts.

Oh, Paddy! :hug: I prefer the original actor's voices, too, even if it means reading subtitles. There's nothing like their interpretation of the characters - even if I don't understand the words.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Exactly!!!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Preparing for tonight:
Whisky, and coffee... :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:19 pm

OOOOOOOO! Where are you in the series now?

Return to “Fantasy”