Outlander

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Outlander

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:39 am

Skipped the whisky, I was much too fascinated to leave the sofa – I might have missed something. :lol: :paperbag: Unfortunately, right in the middle of the first episode, the phone rang and there was no one but me to answer it... fortunately, I didn't miss too much.

Where are we? Well, Jamie rescued Claire from Randall's hands and the big quarrel afterwards, including Claire's punishment by Jamie's hands (or rather, belt). When it comes to temper, these two are on an eye-to-eye level, and I like that. Claire is giving Jamie some great fights :lol:

Dougal's wife died and so did Geillis's husband. What I wonder is: Did Dougal know in advance? Obviously, it was clear to him the moment the old man died, and it was also obvious that he wasn't sad about it, and he knew about the child. I just don't know whether he knew about Geillis's plan in advance and whether he approved of her poisoning her husband.

I knew that Laoghaire would be trouble, I just didn't expect her to go that far, I underrated her. Having Claire and Geillis arrested for witchcraft was about the most stupid thing to do. But love makes you blind, and so does hate.

Oh, and the Duke of Sandringham is a two-faced coward! :mad:

What does make my head spin is this:
If Jamie had killed Randall when he had the chance, would Frank have ever been born? If he hadn't been born, he wouldn't have married Claire. Claire would have never got to Scotland, would have never gone to the stones and would never have travelled in time, so none of this would ever have occurred... gosh, those time-travel-stories really make me dizzy.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Padfoot wrote:Skipped the whisky, I was much too fascinated to leave the sofa – I might have missed something. :lol: :paperbag: Unfortunately, right in the middle of the first episode, the phone rang and there was no one but me to answer it... fortunately, I didn't miss too much.

Where are we? Well, Jamie rescued Claire from Randall's hands and the big quarrel afterwards, including Claire's punishment by Jamie's hands (or rather, belt). When it comes to temper, these two are on an eye-to-eye level, and I like that. Claire is giving Jamie some great fights :lol:

I like how she's made sure he doesn't do that again :yes: .

Dougal's wife died and so did Geillis's husband. What I wonder is: Did Dougal know in advance? Obviously, it was clear to him the moment the old man died, and it was also obvious that he wasn't sad about it, and he knew about the child. I just don't know whether he knew about Geillis's plan in advance and whether he approved of her poisoning her husband.

It's hard to know with those two; it's never clear with Dougal, always scheming and probably was so from the womb. (You are moving along really fast - I don't envy you, because the episodes are so heavy and I, at least, got a break between the seasons.) It won't be long before you find out this one really interesting tidbit about little Miss Geillis.

I knew that Laoghaire would be trouble, I just didn't expect her to go that far, I underrated her. Having Claire and Geillis arrested for witchcraft was about the most stupid thing to do. But love makes you blind, and so does hate.

:roll: Yep. But if she were my daughter, I'd have taken her out by the ear and married her off to the next man to come down the road! Well, maybe not; infatuation can be tough, too, but then I have to remember that there wasn't a lot for young women back then. They married young, to somebody who cared for them (if they were lucky), and then tried to survive one pregnancy after the other. Making it to age thirty-five, and with a goodly number of teeth still in your head, was considered success :( .

Oh, and the Duke of Sandringham is a two-faced coward! :mad:

And here I was thinking, Thank God, Jamie's got such a friend! - right up until I couldn't any more :/ .

What does make my head spin is this:
If Jamie had killed Randall when he had the chance, would Frank have ever been born? If he hadn't been born, he wouldn't have married Claire. Claire would have never got to Scotland, would have never gone to the stones and would never have travelled in time, so none of this would ever have occurred... gosh, those time-travel-stories really make me dizzy.

Not only that - there wouldn't be these books, or by extension, this series!

Yeah, it's a form of Asimov's Grandfather Paradox - you go back in time, and kill your grandfather before he's had the chance to sire your mother or father, which causes you to disappear from the timeline :lol: .

What I would really like to know is Black Jack's history - was he oxygen-deprived at any point? where was he educated? How was he treated by his parents? Were they more deferential to his brothers? We already know that he was going to have to make his own way (just as did his younger brother, but not everybody's cut out for the religious life.) There are some people who are born sadists and others that are made such, while yet others are surrounded with cruelty from birth, and never take to it.

This is what I found out about B.J. in Outlander Wiki:

"Born Jonathan Wolverton Randall on September 3rd, 1705, he" was the second son of Sir Denys Randall and Jessica Wolverton. His father was knighted in the late 17th century, and was awarded a baronetcy by King George I. His elder brother, Edward Randall, inherited the family estate in Sussex, while his younger brother, Alexander, became a curate.

In the mid-1730s, Randall bought his commission and served as a captain of dragoons. In late 1739, he became garrison commander at Fort William, succeeding Captain Buncombe. (So, when we meet up with him, he's about 40-years-old.)

With a levy imposed on the farms surrounding Fort William to oblige officers with supplies and food for the garrison, Randall and his men were on such a mission in October 1740 when they stopped at Lallybroch... - end of the Wiki piece

And that is when he meets Jamie Fraser for the first time, and not long after, Randall's blinding obsession with this Highland boy, is born.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:41 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:14 pm

What a great interview! Thanks a bunch for posting it, Paddy!

So...I guess you know now how the Second Season ends *and I have no idea what smiley to put here*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Yes, I know - it's almost impossible to escape it, since there's been so much talking about it - and I'm trying to prepare and steel myself for what lies ahead. Part of me wants, to watch, part of me probably can't stand to... :paperbag:

I also know about Geillis's secret (I suspected from the beginning that she's a time-traveller, too).

Yeah, it's a form of Asimov's Grandfather Paradox - you go back in time, and kill your grandfather before he's had the chance to sire your mother or father, which causes you to disappear from the timeline. :lol:

Like in „Back to the Future“ :lol:

What I would really like to know is Black Jack's history - was he oxygen-deprived at any point? where was he educated? How was he treated by his parents? Were they more deferential to his brothers? We already know that he was going to have to make his own way (just as did his younger brother, but not everybody's cut out for the religious life.) There are some people who are born sadists and others that are made such, while yet others are surrounded with cruelty from birth, and never take to it.

My theory is that apart from being a born sadist, he's also gay and hates himself for it. We know he's been a protegé of the Duke of Sandringham, and I suppose that he was more than just that. It also might explain why he has the Duke under his thumb (Though it is obvious and of course rumoured and talked about behind his back, being openly gay would break the man's neck, personally as well as politically). It might also explain why Black Jack hates women so much.

It seems his brothers didn't turn out as bad as he. I did some reading and found out that his younger brother Alex is supposed to appear in Season 2, and that he's quite the opposite of Black Jack (but then, maybe he's the brother that did never take to the cruelty that surrounded him?). His older brother hasn't been mentioned at all (so far).

Ah... all that deep-digging... I can't wait for tomorrow evening :lol:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:33 am

I suspected Geillis to be a time-traveller from the beginning. It was something about her demeanour that gave her away. Since we didn't see her burning, I dare to make an educated guess and say she wasn't killed. Dougal somehow may have found a way to save her.

And I really, really like Jenny! She's quite a handful :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Oh, I love Jenny too :) , for the exact same reason. She is one tough cookie!

Geillis was burnt - and you find that out over time, from the conversations between Claire and Dougal, they bring that out *sigh*. In the south, it was common to let the woman come to term and give birth before execution, for theft and other capital crimes (it still blows my mind that they'd actually hang somebody for stealing a loaf of bread.) Sometimes, the sentence was commuted to life in prison, after the baby was born, but with Scotland's witch trials :roll: ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_tri ... n_Scotland

Those poor, poor people :( .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:47 am

Oh my gosh. The season finale aired last wednesday. Due to prime time airing it was heavily censored, though. At least 15 minutes were missing out of each of the 2 episodes. Some things didn't add up or didn't make sense. So I stayed up late and watched the re-run after midnight, which was uncut. That was intense. Hard to watch, but incredibly well acted. One could feel Jamie's physical and mental pains.

I doubt that Geillis was really burnt. I doubt that because the episode guide in the TV paper gave it away. It said there something like "the witch Geillis supposedly got burned". The same goes for Black Jack, who was "supposedly killed by a herd of cows". I guess that means we'll see both of them again. They didn't need to give that away, though. At least they could have given a spoiler alert.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Padfoot wrote:Oh my gosh. The season finale aired last wednesday. Due to prime time airing it was heavily censored, though. At least 15 minutes were missing out of each of the 2 episodes. Some things didn't add up or didn't make sense. So I stayed up late and watched the re-run after midnight, which was uncut. That was intense. Hard to watch, but incredibly well acted. One could feel Jamie's physical and mental pains.

My gosh is right. Since it was on cable here, it hasn't been censored at all. I watched it without the sound though, just captions. Still get chills - a couple of my friends have read the books, so we talk about them from time to time, but we haven't been able to go near that episode. Have you seen the finale finale, where he's been taken to a monastery to recover?

I doubt that Geillis was really burnt. I doubt that because the episode guide in the TV paper gave it away. It said there something like "the witch Geillis supposedly got burned". The same goes for Black Jack, who was "supposedly killed by a herd of cows". I guess that means we'll see both of them again. They didn't need to give that away, though. At least they could have given a spoiler alert.

I take all that back that I posted earlier:

http://outlander.wikia.com/wiki/Geillis_Duncan

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Yes, I've seen it. He was caught in such a nightmare. Lucky for him to have such a strong woman at his side.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:03 pm

I am really looking forward to the next season of this.

It's one of my favorite imaginings - to go back in time and change history, which is just what Claire and now Jamie, hope to do with Bonnie Prince Charlie. Lots to look forward to, with a baby on the way as well.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:38 am

I can't believe that Outlander only received one Emmy nomination for music. :wtf:

Don't they ever get tired of Game of Thrones?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Padfoot wrote:I can't believe that Outlander only received one Emmy nomination for music. :wtf:

Don't they ever get tired of Game of Thrones?

:wtf: is right! I guess they don't :roll: .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:47 pm

...and speaking of GoT...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Fantasy”