Doctor Who

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Doctor Who

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

I hope you had fun :) . One of these days, I'm going to get over there for a visit - I've wanted to since puberty and I'd better hurry before my adultery runs out!

Thanks for all you've do, Candy :hug: . Looking forward :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:23 am

Oh it is brilliant! Ah well, back to work. I'm giddy with excitement over Dr. Who's return to the screen, though. It's a part of me that hasn't grown up — and I don't want it to.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Oh, for sure! Actually it's a little known fact that weekly watching of Doctor Who keeps the viewer in a perpetual loop of youthening :D ! It's a Tardis thing...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:17 pm

...Run, you clever boy...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:42 pm

I hate those things! Give me a Dalek any day over one of these!

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Yep, those Weeping Angels give me the creeps.
Those destroyed-not destroyed-destroyed-not destroyed-destroyed-not destroyed etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum not so much scary but just a bit annoying.

I still can not get into the current Doctor.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I finally did (but it wasn't until this last episode, and without Clara.)

It's the women, as far as I'm concerned. The best companion, imho, since Sarah Jane Smith, was Rose Tyler and after that it's just been - well, annoying, to borrow your word. I never really warmed to the Ponds, and Clara - I won't even go there, I don't trust myself. And THEN they get the chickee-babe from Game of Thrones involved (btw, never watched it, don't care to, the father of one of my neighbors is a dead ringer for George R R Martin and when I told a friend of mine that, she said I should run!) So now, MMW, there will be a whole host of fanfics about Clara and Ashildr in William Hartnell's TARDIS, cluttering up the web! But I digress.

I like him when he's unencumbered. When it's just him and he's not glomped on to a particular human, I think he's fantastic. It's when he begins caring for a person and it shows, that he's weakened. That air of detachment is what makes him - even with Sarah Jane (who traveled with three of the Regenerations) there's this bit of a wall. So when that starts to go, and the mortar begins to crumble and the bricks to fall, it stops being about The Doctor, and the Universe. It becomes about the relationships with the companions instead, and there can't be ever be. The 'mofattication' of the Doctor has done this, and to the point where it doesn't matter who writes the scripts. The virus has completely taken hold.

I was prepared for Matt Smith to be the last. I thought it's time, he's Number Twelve. It's been half a century and by then, isn't it said that both guests and fish something something? Anyway, I can't stop watching; call it a weakness. My hope for this last Doctor had been that they might make this wonderful leap and cast Idris Elba (can't you just see him, despairing that he's "Still not ginger!")

So...all that being said, I've got the DVR set to record the Christmas Episode next week. Who is with me!? And I do mean 'myself' here, and not, you know.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:53 pm

So the writer for Broadchurch is going to take over. :?
Might have to start watching Doctor Who again. Need something for some sleep therapy. :roll: :P
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Well...he's leaving - which is good. That it's one. more. season. is not, BUT I did like Broadchurch (just pretended there never was an American version)...Why, God, why?! What is up with the yank-i-fication of perfectly good British programmes?!

Case in point...the original Traffik. Saw it on Masterpiece; wonderful - absolutely stunning piece of work. I still think about it. So, what do they do? Americanize it, with Michael Douglas, and then it all becomes about him, his family, his daughter - sheesh!

(and while it wasn't BBC, I will never forgive Elijah Wood for ruining Wilfred. I loved the original, Aussie version - if you can still catch it on YouTube, please do. But I digress.)

What were we talking about? :? Sorry...http://billykaplanofficial.tumblr.com/post/137836682403

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Finally they're showing the old episodes, starting sich Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor. They are actually trying to well it as "New" episodes. Last week it was still Peter Capaldi.. So much for "New".
Nonetheless, I appreciate it.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 am

I don't know if it's true or not but Capaldi's leaving (maybe?), and there was some talk that the next Doctor might possibly be...

Frances de la Tour

...which would be perfectly fine by me! A friend suggested that she might be traveling with some hot boy companions.

To that I say: Is it too much to ask for some mature people to accompany the Doctor for a change? I actually dreamed that the 4th Doctor pulled me away from my desk at the envelope manufacturers, to visit the planet Seamonkey - which was long before I knew they were humble brine shrimp. I was barely 30, but way older than most of the children that went off with him.

And then there was the famous Arizona episode (another dream) where the TARDIS landed the 10th Doctor and me in Little Rock after fleeing a cardinal's henchmen in 16th Century Venice...at least I think it was Venice. I was over 50, but that didn't slow me down. The translator broke, so we couldn't stop speaking Italian, and Governor Jan Brewer had us arrested as illegal aliens. I woke up before it ended, so I still don't know if we're still there or not.

Surely there are plenty of chubby middle-aged ladies who could fill the bill. I'm looking into self-defence with my cane - couldn't that be worked into a plot? Hmmm?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I like Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. He's believable. I'm glad I have the opportunity to watch the older episodes now.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:53 am

I love him too. He was absolutely perfect to reboot the franchise. I finally found this again, and it just gives me chills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Return to “Sci-Fi”