Doctor Who

Halasian
Crimebuster

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Halasian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 pm

The "new" Dr is alright. Matt Smith has some big shoes to fill following David Tennet, but so far, I think he's doing alright. Karen Gillan as Amy Pond makes a great side and I think helps Matt along.

And as with any version of Dr Who... there is a certain bit of corn-cheese, but you expect that.

I see Dr Who season 7 will be in two parts.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm loving it very much too- when I can see it, because the BBC channel is on the front room TV and not mine in the bedroom :(. I missed the change-over episode and I can't wait until it starts over on Syfy.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Shuggy
Wyvern
Location: Navigating Defecation Creek Without Any Oars Whatsoever.

Postby Shuggy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I remember going to Longleat Safari Park back in the mid 80's when they had a Doctor Who exhibition on; the FX and costumes on show looked even cheaper then! :lol:

But it's amazing what they managed to do in the 80's and earlier with so little and technology in its infancy.

I remember being terrified by some episodes of Doctor Who - now my son yawns his way through it if it's on TV! :roll:
"Your Mother Cooks Socks in Hell!"

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:06 pm

I just found out last night that Elisabeth Sladen died :(. Sixty-three-years-old, from cancer, on April 19th...

I'm so stunned. She was the first companion I ever watched, the first time I saw her was in "Genesis of the Daleks". I know, that in light of all the seems-to-never-end nonsense that mankind insists on putting itself through, this loss can very easily get lost - I nearly missed it myself. But I'm crying and I don't know why.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Aw, sorry dear Shireling. :hug:
63 is a bit young to be facing life's end. :(
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I love Matt Smith as the Doctor. It took me a while to accept the batty boy, but I find his obsession with fezzes (sp?) amusing, and I love the tension between him and Rory. The Doctor appears to be jealous of him!

The latest series is looking good, and I see they've got some investment from US backers. Bigger budget = cooler stuff. Bring it on!

Edit: I wasn't familiar with Elizabeth Sladen, but a part of TV history is gone now and that's worth being sad about. *Hugs*
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks, sweeties :hug: :hug:. Just been blubbering on and off all day, every time I remember a scene with her in it.

Over here, they played the show from start to finish at least four times through so I got to see her with Jon Pertwee, and all the specials. Both Pertwee and Tom Baker were responsible for a solid twelve years of the Doctor, and she bridged the two. I was just mush when she showed up in that David Tennant episode, and my husband thought I was nuts to be so excited over her having own show (with the irrepressible K-9. I saw him once! He's a big dog!). *sigh* Good times...

You're right, Ms.B. Sixty-three is young. And now she'll stay that way... :cry:

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 am

:kiss: Candy...you're precious. Thank you, honey.

Found a big article from http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree and a whole slew of comments filled with everything I've been thinking and feeling since I first heard. Btw, I had - have - a crush on her too, Seth.

I'm not embarrassed to grieve for her any more. I do, JeepersCreepers, feel for her family and friends. I can't imagine how rough this must be for her daughter, having lost my own mother when she was seven years Lis's junior. That was 20 years ago, and easier now. But I am, after all, only a fan (short for "fanatic") and sometimes, like now, fans can be selfish - especially when they have no earthly connection to one they so admired.

She was young, she looked young - damn, she looked good! - and that' why it's such a shock. Of course, most of us didn't see her in her final days. I know what cancer does to people - or maybe it's what's done to try to cure the cancer, I can't decide.

Anyway, I love you Sarah Jane Smith. You were my Sarah Jane, too, and always will be. Now I'm off to read what other people said better than I did...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 am

And I'm sorry, Ms. B, for losing it. I didn't mean to be mean to you. You've always treated me with such affection, and I apologize from my heart. :hug:

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Aw sweetie- I didn't take it as you being mean. I don't think you have a mean bone in your body. :hug:
I took it that my words stung and you were hurting. I say the wrong things sometimes... it's a "gift." ;)
Seriously- you have not wronged me in any way.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Thank you, sweetie :kiss:. I needed to hear that...ah, the rest of what you told me, not that you say the wrong things sometimes :lol:. As you know, I've also been blessed with the gift...often. Thank you, again for being here :hug:.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Ah, here it is. Dr. Who -- did anybody see the River Song thing coming? They caught me out so completely I'm still going "Whut?"

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 pm

I won't see the mid-season finale until next Saturday...gonna be a long week... :(.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am

I can dig up some links if you like. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Who.

Return to “Sci-Fi”