Doctor Who

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Doctor Who

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 am

Who's your favorite Doctor?

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

Hard to tell. I know I'm supposed to say, "David Tennant," but Matt Smith has really made it his own.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 am

The first one I ever saw was Tom Baker in Genesis of the Daleks. Public Broadcasting was running episodes on weekdays in the afternoon, and I saw them when I woke up (I worked night shift back then).

Then they ran all of them from the beginning, so I saw Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee - all the way through. And the movies with Peter Cushing, the one with Paul McGann. Each time he'd regenerate, I'd think well that's it, I'll never fall in love again :lol: . But it works, and it's all due to the folks that do the casting. I swear I'm watching the same spirit of the same guy in eleven different bodies over 47 years. Matt Smith is a sweetheart; first the President, now Doctor Who - though I think Eccleston is the first to be younger than me, Smith could be my kid!

I was never scared of any of the aliens on the show until I saw Blink - now that is scary. One of our two cats, our grey one named "Kess", is like those weeping angels. One second she's sitting across the room, washing her face. Close your eyes, and snap! she's nose to nose in your face! She defies the laws of physics routinely.

Love this show! *gives it a hug*

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 am

I thought the casting of Eccleston was a brave choice. His accent is completely different from the Estuary (Sarf Landon) accents sported by the other Doctors (Tennant is Scottish).

When Smith came on, I asked my hubby if the Doctor would come out as a toddler on his next regeneration because the actors are getting younger!

Dang, but those angels are scary! Gotta love them. Have you seen the most recent episodes? In the last of the season, River Song revealed who she is. I won't spoil it for you, but I never saw that one coming!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

No, I've not seen that one about River Song. I think it's on next Saturday - cannot wait!!! I know I have to, but I am really looking forward to it!

I wish Tennant would have used his native accent. I love to listen to him and Alan Cumming. This is a little off topic, but speaking of accents, I heard John Noble out of character one day and it just blew my mind. I haven't a clue what he said and it wasn't long enough to really get the feel for it.

Did you know that when Time Lords turn 8, they are to look into the "Eye of Time" and it determines how they'll get on in life? That is so cool!!!! And if you turn an 8 on it's side, it's the symbol for infinity!!!! God, what I wouldn't give for a jelly baby about now!!!!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Will these do?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:31 pm

They come in licorice!!!!!! And dusted in powder sugar!!!! *does licorice/powder sugar dance*

There's a specialty shop in Huber that caters to ex-pats from the UK, and they do tea in the afternoon. I definitely have got to get myself over there. *adds to Bucket List*

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Have a nice cuppa and think of me. Do they do bacon? You know, PROPER bacon rashers with actual meat in? I understand that where you are, it's mostly fat with the odd streak of meat in it. Have a go at the full English breakfast. Yum!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 am

Candy Kane wrote:Have a nice cuppa and think of me. Do they do bacon? You know, PROPER bacon rashers with actual meat in? I understand that where you are, it's mostly fat with the odd streak of meat in it. Have a go at the full English breakfast. Yum!

Then I've had improper rashers all my life :( (I suddenly had this odd picture in my mind of fat rashers, standing in alleys with trench coats full of faux-brand watches and chalk boards that look like Kindels in street-lamp light). I've been deceived!!!! :bang:

Must have full English breakfast!!! (I do have marmalade in the fridge :D).

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 am

Marmalade? That's a start...

Ye fulle Englyshe Break of fast:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am

O...My...Goldilocks and the Three Cats from Mississippi!!!!! *drool/swoon/drool/drool*

Are those tomatoes fried? And mushrooms? I could do this! I have a frying pan! What's under the egg and the tomats on the toast? *eyes fill with tears* Kiss me twice and call me "Shirley"! That is the sexiest breakfast I've ever had the misfortune not to be able to eat.

Hairy feet or not, I am a HOBBIT!!!!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 am

It looks like Red Leicester cheese. The cheese is not obligatory. Mind you, that's what I usually have for breakfast: grilled cheese on toast. Yum!

Edit: I just noticed that the sausages and baked beans are missing. And the black pudding.

The difference between the English and Irish versions is that the English like to add baked beans, and the Irish like to have white pudding instead of beans.

Back on topic, the Doctor has eaten some weird things, hasn't he? In this incarnation, I mean.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 am

He has...fish fingers and vanilla custard.

In past regenerations, he rarely ate or drank anything - it was just runrunrunrunrun from beginning to end. Never seemed to take the time to take care of himself. But with his cardio-vascular system, he could go on for longer.

Sorry, but I must know...what is white pudding? I've had black (and, again, it's hard to find unless you go to a proper butchers. The last time I had it, my dad had found some and we finished it off) and I like baked beans on toast. Also, where do kippers fit in?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:33 am

I can't eat pork, it upsets my arthritis, so I have kippers instead.

See white pudding details here.

And this is how it's done.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:27 pm

*sigh*

Return to “Sci-Fi”