Stargate Universe

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Stargate Universe

Postby Padfoot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:09 pm

What do you think about the new Stargate Series? It started to air in Germany in February, and I still haven't made up my mind about it...
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Keith
House Elf

Re: Stargate Universe

Postby Keith » Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

I've been watching this almost since it started (missed the pilot), and I like it, overall. It's more serious and "hard sci-fi" than SG-1 or Atlantis, which to me is a good thing. I find most of the character-driven parts of the plot reasonably engaging, though some of the more soap-operatic stuff can be annoying (almost every major character seems to have some kind of traumatic past or interpersonal drama thing going on).

My favourite characters are Dr. Rush and Eli (it's funny how he's so obviously there to represent and provide wish-fulfillment for the sci-fi geek portion of the fanbase :D ).

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I keep watching it to see if something significant is going to happen, but so far they seem to be sticking to the space opera BS.

[Spoiler]They also now have fallen back to the age old bad guy cliché of being chased by aliens. The use of that makes it easy to write episodes since you don't have to work at it much.

This latest episode with the lost sheep showing up the way and at the time they did does not make much sense. Seems like something might be rotten in the state of Denmark.

How convenient that someone can sit in that chair and save the day in the nick of time. :roll:
[/spoiler]
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 am

I agree with Keith, I like the show overall, but some of the soap stuff needs to be erased... I'm also a bit irked by that unsteady, zig-zagging camera, it's almost like everything's filmed with a hand-held camera, and watching it is giving me a headache.

So far, I think, Rush is the most interesting character.. my least favourite is Chloe, IMO she's most unnecessary :roll:

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 am

I just watched the episode 'Sabotage', the one where they bring in the cute, disabled scientist who has a crush on Rush using the communication stones. Now, I don't normally do this, but...

SQUEE!

The premise seemed potentially a bit tacky/cliched (indeed, the Wikipedia article on the episode chronicles a storm in a teacup over the badly worded casting call for the character), but I thought it was handled well and ended up being rather sweet, both in how happy she was to be able to walk around for a change and in her relationship with Rush. (Eli's reaction to her saying she liked Rush was hilarious. :D ) I hope the character returns. Interestingly, I've been writing fanfiction recently that focuses on a disabled character.

TomCotton wrote:[spoiler]This latest episode with the lost sheep showing up the way and at the time they did does not make much sense. Seems like something might be rotten in the state of Denmark. [/spoiler]

Yeah, I wondered a bit about that as well, but it seems like it was just a case of stuff happening offscreen, like the resolution of 'Time'.

TomCotton wrote:[spoiler]How convenient that someone can sit in that chair and save the day in the nick of time. :roll: [/spoiler]

Although at the end of the episode [spoiler]he appears to have vanished into thin air[/spoiler].

Alata
Mome Rath

Postby Alata » Wed May 19, 2010 5:19 am

I'm having such a hard time getting into SGU. I loved SG1 and SGA, but there's too much space opera in this for me. I think I can honestly say the only episode I've enjoyed was Time.

Although I agree about Eli being a/the favorite character.
There's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Oh, that is bad. That is extremely very not good.
-The Doctor

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu May 20, 2010 7:01 am

I completely agree with Keith's post about the "Sabotage" episode (I watched it yesterday)! :lol:

Never thought I'd ever see you doing a "SQUEE", Keith! :lol: :lol:

Jon
Mome Rath

Postby Jon » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Alata, I am also having a hard time getting into 'Universe' as well. It's more serious than SG-1 and Atlantis. I'm glad they tried to do something different with it, but for me so far it's not working.
Cassie's #1 FanBoy!

Alata
Mome Rath

Postby Alata » Fri May 21, 2010 5:30 am

Yeah, my roommate and I have concluded that it is Star Trek Voyager in new Battlestar Galactica style masquerading as a Stargate. =/ I'm still trying though.
There's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

-The Doctor

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri May 21, 2010 9:33 am

I can relate to those thoughts!

I always liked the humour (and sarcasm) of SG 1 and Atlantis, this one is far more serious. And I'm reminded of Galactica as well. But I'll continue watching...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 pm

It would be a lot better if THEY COULD LEARN TO HOLD THE D**N CAMERA STEADY!!!!! :evil: :roll: :P
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Alata
Mome Rath

Postby Alata » Sun May 23, 2010 5:40 am

Agreed wholeheartedly. Shaky cameras detract from a show, in my opinion, even when it's a stylistic choice.

-The Doctor

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 am

*slips from the shadows* (Alata, I love your siggie. That is my favorite current quote from DW.) *returns to the depths from which she sprang*

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Alata
Mome Rath

Postby Alata » Tue May 25, 2010 3:15 am

(Haha, thanks! Me too.)

I just checked what episode we're up to on Hulu and realized I'm very far behind. I'm going to try to catch up with SGU in the next few days. :roll:

-The Doctor

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:25 pm

I have to say I liked the season's finale. Lots of threads, lots of questions. I think L. D. Phillips did a great job, and I hope his character didn't die and returns (now that he's returned to his true self, he might be a likeable guy, :lol: ).

I just wish they'd leave those communication stones and focus on the important matters... that is the crew, the ship, and what's ahead of them...

Return to “Sci-Fi”