STAR TREK 11: Rebooting the Franchise

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

STAR TREK 11: Rebooting the Franchise

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 pm

The universe as we know it is again in peril and it is the Starship Enterprise off to the rescue with young, fresh actors stepping into established characters.

First, I think the actors did a brillaint job with channeling the original actors' portrayals of the characters and also injecting a bit of themselves into the parts.

I think it may be a successful attempt to reboot the franchise because as an example my 14-year-old daughter proclaims herself to be the "Number One Trek Fan of her generation.: LOL! She had had no interest in the Oringal Series, S.T.:Next Generation, or any of the movies until she watched ST11. It was new, it was shiny, the actors are hot :D, and she fell in love to the point where she then watched the entire Original Series (on YouTube) and all of the previous movies starring the oringinal cast. :D

There is already another movie in the works, and I look forward to seeing it.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

barkybree
Mome Rath

Re: STAR TREK 11: Rebooting the Franchise

Postby barkybree » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:54 pm

This was a purely brilliant rebranding of the most important science-fiction series of all time. This was a great film and I can only hope they can keep up a high level of quality.

I do fear the next film in one aspect: there's been talk of bringing back Khan. Ugh. They need to go boldly in a new direction, and not simply rehash plots with iPhone consoles....

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm with you Barky, Khan has run his course. Plus, they are in a separate timeline, so there may not have even been a Khan in their version of the universe. It would be better to bring in something new and unheard of, under the timeline excuse.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next movie though :D My husband was saying he read something about someone saying that McCoy was great but needed to be less pissed off, but thinking back to ToS, McCoy was pissed off most of the time.....at Spock, at Jim or at the unfair universe in general :lol: He was the Quincy of Star Trek :D
[Under Construction]

Chaser
N00b

Postby Chaser » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Loved it, brilliant movie....

KHAN......KHAN = NO......NO

barkybree
Mome Rath

Postby barkybree » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 am

Talk of McCoy reminded me: it was so brilliant on how the director coached the actors to channel, but not imitate or parody the original actors' take on those roles.

-- Pine's Kirk was arrogant and cocky but also quick-thinking, tough & charismatic. But he did it without resorting to Shatner-esque :ahem: "acting"
-- Quinto's Spock was intelligent, thoughtful, (mostly) emotionless, but he clearly delivered his lines like Quinto and not like Nimoy
-- Urban did this the best IMO. He not only channeled the grumpy yet supportive nature of McCoy, but he also was scripted to explain the origins of so many of McCoy's famous lines, including why he was called "Bones". I missed this on the first viewing, but on later ones, I realized that McCoy's character was written to channel, not parody, the best out of all of them.
-- Sulu was cool and confident but also ambitious. You saw that fire only a few times in TOS, but here, they really went for it. He's definitely a future captain now, something you might not have guessed with Sulu in TOS.
-- Scotty was very interesting. First, I'm a huge Simon Pegg fan, he's wicked brilliant at roles like this and was a perfect choice. But it doesn't appear he actually channels the TOS Scotty ... or does he? I think I've grown too used to Doohan's fat & slow Scotty from the movies, and forgot what a character he was in TOS. A boozer with a big heart, a brilliant engineering mind who really can't get his point across, but will break the rules to get stuff done. On reflection, Pegg does channel that pretty well.

So that leaves two characters I felt didn't "channel" well. First was Uhura. The sad truth is, there wasn't much to channel. Yes, Uhura was the first black female supporting character on TV that wasn't a maid or other lowly profession. But still, she was so underused back then. This Uhura rocked the screen, I'd say she was the third most interesting character on the screen. Terrific job!

The only one who left me cold was Yelchin's Chekov. He irritated me through most of the movie. It's sad, really. Koenig's Chekov was a weak character, too, primarily put there to attract Monkees fans to TOS. So they had to figure out how to do New Chekov. But they had to do it so he didn't come across as Wesley Crusher. In the end, I think he was written the worst of all of them. They just didn't make it work very well.

But hey, can't have everything I suppose. :D

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 am

Ohh Ms B your daughter might have competition for #1 fan of her generation, depending how old she is. I'm no trivia buff but i was RAISED on both TOS and TNG ^^

The new movie was AMAZING. I saw it twice (wanted to more, but am le broke) in theaters and left both times with my face hurting from my 'happy nerd grin'.

I liked most of the character's portrayals, though the Uhura-Spock thing sorta BROKE MY BRAIN first time round. And Barky, i do agree with Chekov not being like the original, but he was also hilariously adorable.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:43 pm

Elvira, my daughter is 14. :)

Barky, I would have to agree with your assessments on how well the actors channeled their respective characters. I think that the fab-four (Scotty, Uhura, Checkov, Sulu) were portrayed as they were meant to be from the original series if the show hadn't have turned into an ego fest between Shatner and Nimoy over who had the most lines to say in each eposide (documented fact.)

They caused the show's writers to cater to them and thereby pushed the other actors farther into the background with less speaking lines and less character development.

I think Pine's acting of the cocky womanizer was just right- not enough to fall over into parody.

Quinto was a very good, reserved Spock. I loved how they showed us how difficult it was to him to act Vulcan while struggling with his human emotions- his 'relationship' with Uhura underscored that dichotomy in his soul.
— Worf

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm with you, Urban's Bones was the absolute best! Bones was always one who sopke his mind, although much of it was muttered under his breath.
I think Urban was a bit more unleashed, which was great, though he still had some muttering to do as well.

Simon Pegg's Scotty was brilliant. As he's standing beside Kirk while Kirk and Spock are in the midst of a heated arguement, in the lull of their exchange Scotty exclaims, "I LOVE this ship!"

Sulu- agree with you barky. You could see his Captain ambition more and he wore it well.

Checkov- don't discount this performance. Somehow his 'cute factor' seemed to have registered with young women. :D I found his performance endearing. Very young, very intelligent, but still wet behind the ears. I think it was done well.
— Worf

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon May 24, 2010 2:28 am

barkybree wrote:... Uhura. The sad truth is, there wasn't much to channel. Yes, Uhura was the first black female supporting character on TV that wasn't a maid or other lowly profession. But still, she was so underused back then. This Uhura rocked the screen, I'd say she was the third most interesting character on the screen. Terrific job

As long as they put Uhura in the stockings & mini-skort on the bridge with prominent background camera angles like they did in TOS, it's all good. ;) :mrgreen:

They best not screw up this re-boot with Khan. Get some new and creative writers on this. It can go well, yet they can still screw up a good start to this re-franshise.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

CaptDon
Mome Rath

Postby CaptDon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 am

I could not disagree more with many of the opinions of this movie. They managed to take a lot of what Trek has always been an dumbed it down. The villain was, I want to say poorly acted, but I am going to say poorly directed. The only high points in the movie for me were McCoy, Scotty, and Pike. I wont even begin to describe my opinion of the Enterprise herself... My son likes it, he is 8 so I get why. I like it as a good popcorn action flick but it lacked the substance and social commentary of a well written Star Trek movie, but what was well, well, it was taken from past success, so there is that.

Now maybe it was the fact that I liked the Scotty & Uhura angle from V but I thought the Uhura & Spock storyline was terrible and reflected poorly on the characters. I also found nothing redeeming about new Kirk. Though Pine is a fine actor.

Ultimately this movie requires just the right amount of beer for me to enjoy, but it is better than Nemesis & Insurrection, so there is that.
"Hello, I am your ship's chief medical officer, we don't know what is wrong with you. Please follow me to the airlock..."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

One Spock, Two Spock, Red Spock, Seus Spock

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/po ... spock-blue

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Loved that!!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 26, 2017 3:10 am

I miss him so much :( ...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Sci-Fi”