Postby MsBrandybuck » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 am

"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: The Big Bang Theory

Postby TomCotton » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Ha, figured that would get a rise out of MsB. :cheers: :yes:

TBBT finally addressed the death of Carol Ann Susi/Mrs. Wolowitz. Very nicely done. I did not choke up. No, not me. Nu-uh. Didn't happen. Move along now. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Mine too! Apart from Tolkien nerdness, I can't think of anything else I do that's nerd-worthy. I'm very dull.
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Vairë wrote:Mine too! Apart from Tolkien nerdness, I can't think of anything else I do that's nerd-worthy. I'm very dull.

Oh, I don't believe that for a minute, Ms. "Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time." Sounds pretty nerdy if you ask me, lady.

And, I'll bet you have one of these tees in back of your closet, too!

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:56 pm

:lol: Oh I wish, Shireling! I tend to spend my money on my pets rather than clothes, so the closet is pretty slim pickin's! Sadly, I had the last of my pets put to sleep a couple weeks ago (my beloved rabbit). :cry: Broke my heart. I'm not getting any more pets now, my heart is shredded. Besides, Hubby wants to be free to travel at the drop of a hat. Our daughter is back living at home with her two chinchillas so I can love them up and get my "small furry animal" fix without all the responsibility. I guess I could say I get pretty nerdy about animals! I have two bird feeders in the back yard, as well as a hummingbird feeder, and a heater in the bird bath. Also tend to toss things like lettuce leaves, etc. for the feral rabbits in the area, even though we're not supposed to feed them...
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Vairë wrote::lol: Oh I wish, Shireling! I tend to spend my money on my pets rather than clothes, so the closet is pretty slim pickin's! Sadly, I had the last of my pets put to sleep a couple weeks ago (my beloved rabbit). :cry: Broke my heart. I'm not getting any more pets now, my heart is shredded. Besides, Hubby wants to be free to travel at the drop of a hat. Our daughter is back living at home with her two chinchillas so I can love them up and get my "small furry animal" fix without all the responsibility. I guess I could say I get pretty nerdy about animals! I have two bird feeders in the back yard, as well as a hummingbird feeder, and a heater in the bird bath. Also tend to toss things like lettuce leaves, etc. for the feral rabbits in the area, even though we're not supposed to feed them...

:cry: :hug: I am so sorry! I had a bunny once, Waylon, an agouti so he looked just like a cottontail rabbit. He was litter box trained and just so cool...yeah, you need a break. I'm glad the chinchillas are there for now - they are precious, and so soft.

I guess there are different varieties of nerd. My husband's the only sports enthusiast I know among our friends; none of the guys follow any national teams - maybe the ones from college if they make it to the championships, but otherwise, nada. So, we're lots of different boxes, with different interests and we make for an interesting bunch. No wonder life gets better for us geeks as we age; I fully embrace the graph.

And I never thought I'd be saying this to anybody, but you are one of the loveliest nerds I know, and every time I find something from TBBT, I think, "OOOO I gotta post that for Vaire!" I makes my day to see you here, to know that you found it :) ...

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Aawww, thanks Shireling! :hug: That's so sweet of you to say! I always look forward to hearing from you too!

Your Waylon (love the name!) sounds like he was a beauty! I Googled agouti rabbit and oh, what a pretty creature! My Barley was a lovely black ordinary bunny that my daughter merely picked up at the university (one of the feral bunnies that populate our area) as a baby bunny. He adapted immediately to life as a House Rabbit, litter trained too, and had the run of the downstairs tv room and my office, once it was all rabbit-proofed. He seemed to develop a lot of health issues over the past year or so and the vet ultimately was unable to figure out the problem and my poor Barley was miserable with no signs of improvement, no matter what we tried. I enjoyed him for almost 6 years though, and sure miss him tugging at my pant-leg or putting his front paws on my knee for attention. :(

My Hubby is quite the sports buff as well. In fact, he's laid up right now with a broken ankle from playing tennis. He loves tennis and squash, and watches tennis and hockey on tv. I'm not at all interested in sports and prefer English murder mysteries. I also enjoy reading, drawing and painting. Opposites do attract!

Speaking of TBBT, Hubby and I both got a good laugh out of the recent episode where Amy was found to be secretly experimenting on Penny and Leonard and comparing results to chimpanzees! :lol: I love Amy! She was a fabulous addition to the show. And I was very sad to learn that Howard's mom had passed away - the actress - I had to Google that after watching the show. Only 62! :(

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:58 pm

I named him for this song...it's for all the rabbits, really.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:22 am

It's a pretty song, but I don't get the lyrics. :/ I'm terrible with poetry and lyrics though. Things have to be spelled out for me. :blushy:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 pm

It's about the relationship between a father and a son (which mirrors mine with my own dad to a great extent.) And there's a time, when the man sees the world in a more just and compassionate way (being sad upon finding the dead rabbit, but suddenly realizing that the slow numbing cold was kinder than the fierce hunt of predator's claws.) He explains this to his boy, who acknowledges the truth of this over time. But, by the time the son comes of age, the father no longer sees the world as he once did, 'things are not like they used to be'. And his now grown child reminds him of what he'd said upon the death of the white rabbit, '...and you said that the owl would never have been so gentle, and God's been so kind.'

Rabbits are so much a part of ancient lore. They are symbols of life, fertility in the ancient Irish religion - the very essence of eternity (which is why they fit in so nicely at Easter, and how I would love for somebody somewhere sometime to depict the risen Christ paired with a rabbit, but I digress.)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

In Watership Down, the hares escaping from a warren destroyed by developers, regale each other with tales of El-ahrairah (literally, 'the prince of a thousand enemies'.) He is their Robin Hood, their Zoro - their Jesus, if you will - and those parables remind them of their place in the world, of the gifts from their god, Lord Frith (the Sun), and how they will never be destroyed as a people because of his blessings (long ears to hear the approaching enemies, and a swift long-legged bottom with which to flee them.)

Gogol Bordello uses them on their 'Underground World Strike' CD (drawn rabbits armed with shields and spears, and depicted dragging away a captured web-footed judge - would make a great tattoo, any of them would; I have been searching everywhere and can't find a single image of any of them :( ) and in 'Gangs of New York', Priest Vallon's gang was the Dead Rabbits (led by a pelt crucified for a standard.)

Ah...now I see that all of this is hell and away from Wayland the Rabbit - I'm so sorry I get carried away :paperbag: - but what I'm really trying to say is how much I love them, how sorrowed I am that your sweet Barley is gone and that I miss my bunny, too. Btw, I got him because my lease wouldn't allow a dog or a cat :lol: . Do these people have any idea just how destructive rabbits (unsupervised) can be? Don't anybody tell them, please.

It's been over forty years, but I can still see him, sitting up on my living room floor and washing his ears, that song playing in the background. It's a sweet memory, and I thank you so for reminding me :hug: .

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks so much for the explanation, Shireling! I hadn't realized the role of rabbits in ancient lore so I've learned a lot this morning! I read Watership Down over 35 years ago and don't remember it much at all, but it would be worth another read. I remember being quite shocked with the tale though. Didn't think rabbits could be so fierce! It must've been in the back of my mind when Barley was around, however, because I always respected his "space". He lunged at me once when he was on medication and was getting fed up with the whole situation, so I left him alone until the circumstances allowed for an easier "capture" and we got along very well. They are utterly charming creatures and I never quite got over the awe of having one living in the house with me. They do indeed have a certain magic about them, hard to describe, but it's there, so I'm not surprised to find they feature in ancient tales and religions. I always had to stop and watch him wash his ears too! Cutest thing EVER!! Reminded me of a woman brushing her long hair! And yes, the destruction! I put up fake baseboards everywhere (after doing a LOT of repairs...) AND wire panels to keep him out of further trouble.

I laughed so much at Raj's line in TBBT about rabbits: "They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do" He's so right!

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Conies are good, especially when stewed with taters and herbs. :D
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 am

Very funny. :razzzzp: However, I'll play along:

What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:24 pm

*playing along, acting Sam*
:lol: :lol: po-ta-toes... :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear about Mr Barley, Vairë, we all love our pets as family members! :hug:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks, Paddy, we sure do! Each one, no matter how small, leaves quite the impression on our hearts.

Sam continues: "Gaffer's delight, and rare good ballast for an empty belly."

Return to “Other”