British TV shows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: British TV shows

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 pm

I saw Mr. Armitage as that guy Guy yesterday! My brother-in-law found a dvd with the last two episodes of Robin Hood and I finally got to see him :) . Granted it wasn't much, but up until then, it'd been absolutely nothing, so I am content for time being :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:29 am

Did you enjoy it?

I still think he was the show's best asset. :D (and the reason I'll buy it eventually... :D :lol: )
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 am

Yeah, I did - all three of us did :) . I won't spoil it, but we were all teary there at the end, and all we saw were the last two shows. It felt as though it could have stood alone, as a movie, with just a smidge more expo - like which king which side was for.

I also thought that the Saracen characters were far more balanced, than I'd seen before, though the first time I really thought that was in the Orlando Bloom film Kingdom of Heaven. For Ghassan Massoud - the Syrian actor/filmaker who played Saladin in that - it was the role of a lifetime. Because he's from that part of the world, a fellow Muslim who loved the and respected the historical figure, there's dimensions there that I just don't think you could have gotten from a non-Muslim Westerner; even actors the calibers of Alec Guinness, Charlton Heston, Anthony Quinn, and Laurence Olivier (who'd all played Arabs in quite memorable parts) just didn't do it for me.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 am

I won't spoil it, but we were all teary there at the end, and all we saw were the last two shows.

I was tears all over when I watched it. :paperbag: :lol:
IMO the last season was the best. The characters were more balanced, and compared to season 1 + 2 Jonas Armstrong was a completely different person (boyish at first, but in season 3 he's definitely grown up. Physically as well as a person).

I also thought that the Saracen characters were far more balanced, than I'd seen before, though the first time I really thought that was in the Orlando Bloom film Kingdom of Heaven ... Because he's from that part of the world, a fellow Muslim who loved the and respected the historical figure, there's dimensions there that I just don't think you could have gotten from a non-Muslim Westerner

I noticed that, too. Ridley Scott really did pay attention to that, and this is part of what makes me like the movie. Maybe the black-and-white thinking has changed?

I don't know, but maybe we can compare it to Native Americans being portrayed by white actors in the early Western movies whereas nowadays there are great Native American actors who give a much more subtle and deeper performance that IMO no white actor could give.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Padfoot wrote:I was tears all over when I watched it. :paperbag: :lol:
IMO the last season was the best. The characters were more balanced, and compared to season 1 + 2 Jonas Armstrong was a completely different person (boyish at first, but in season 3 he's definitely grown up. Physically as well as a person).

It was very well done!
I noticed that, too. Ridley Scott really did pay attention to that, and this is part of what makes me like the movie. Maybe the black-and-white thinking has changed?

Oh, that is Ridley Scott! I love his work! And I believe that the black-and-white thinking is in its death throes, across the board. That doesn't mean, I think, that it won't rear its ugly head from time to time, but it's lost its staying power. People can avoid diversity up to a point, if that's what floats their boat, but sooner or later, they have to come to shore :) .
I don't know, but maybe we can compare it to Native Americans being portrayed by white actors in the early Western movies whereas nowadays there are great Native American actors who give a much more subtle and deeper performance that IMO no white actor could give.

That's exactly it! But, I think more than that, all people of color should be cast in roles from all places and all times, because they were always there. White folk are recent arrivals; the first pair of blue eyes appeared about eight thousand years ago, so...:)

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:34 am

I like The White Queen and will continue watching. Aneurin Barnard makes a fine Richard. I think he looks a lot like Elijah, doesn't he? :paperbag: To top that, the german dubbing is done by the Same guy who does the voice work forf Elijah...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:42 am

Padfoot wrote:I like The White Queen and will continue watching. Aneurin Barnard makes a fine Richard. I think he looks a lot like Elijah, doesn't he? :paperbag:

Other people have said that, but I don't see it so much. Maybe in this one film he made, called The Citadel. There he looks a bit like Frodo; from all I've heard about his performance in this, it really makes me want to see this one! Btw, his eyes are green, and they mirror emotion; they get dark and stormy when Richard's angry, they lighten when he's happy - a lot like his hair does (this man has the most emotive hair I have ever seen!) I'd swoon if I knew I could pick myself off the floor without needing a crane.
To top that, the german dubbing is done by the Same guy who does the voice work forf Elijah...

That is really interesting; I wonder how they decide these, because I've seen Elijah in interviews where his voice was dubbed (in this one Italian one, the guy they cast was a bass :/ .) Now, you won't get to hear his sweet Welshie voice, so here's this :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Nice voice sample!! :thud: his german voice is fortunately the same range as his own :) It's quite close.

I really can't imagine Elijah as a bass... :/

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I wish I could find it! I've been looking all over for it, but it's probably well buried by now (the movie came out in 2008.) The interview was for The Oxford Murders, and that voice was just so jarring! At first I thought, maybe it's our speakers, but then everything else seemed perfectly fine.

Dubbings come a long way from when I was a kid. The last dubbed movie I ever saw was Das Boot - which was just terrific; an amazing piece of work. Ever since, all the non-English speaking films I've seen are subtitled, and I like that better (the first one of those was a comedy in Arabic! I went to see it with a Syrian co-worker of mine and her family :) .)

Return to “Other”