Zombies!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Zombies!

Postby Candy Kane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:37 pm

There have been a few tv shows about zombies recently. Here in Britain we've had Dead Set, and now it seems there's a new American one based on the Walking Dead comics that's available on Sky.

Does anyone want to talk about Zombies?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Zombies!

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:40 pm

I'd like to know why they're liked enough to have some popularity.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 am

Maybe it's because they're not sparkly. I mean, how do you make a zombie sexy and cool? You can't.

The idea of zombies is basically twofold. They play on our fear of death and they mock our consumer society. They also make us question just how "civilised" we are. I mean, do we really need a government and a set of laws to make us behave, or could we get along well enough without them?

Zombie movies, and indeed TV shows, make it clear that the writers think society is more likely to fall apart because we won't cooperate than because of the zombies themselves.

That, for me, is the appeal. I'm interested in the characterization of the survivors and the way they turn out in the aftermath of the outbreak.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Maybe it's because they're not sparkly. I mean, how do you make a zombie sexy and cool? You can't.

:lol: That's certainly true!

The idea of zombies is basically twofold. They play on our fear of death and they mock our consumer society. They also make us question just how "civilised" we are. I mean, do we really need a government and a set of laws to make us behave, or could we get along well enough without them?

Death is not something I fear myself, but being a zombie is and I believe laws are necessary - mainly, I think, because we need to know where the lines are drawn.

The best laws, me again, are based on justice and fairness from the moment pen is put to paper, not the other way round. Zombies have no sense of right or wrong, they cannot be reasoned with. The best thing you can say about them is that they don't discriminate - brains are brains, and they don't care who they come from.

They eat brains - me again - because they have none of their own and brains, in a soul-filled human, do behave - putting the care and compassion for others ahead of oneself, wanting to treat and be treated with love, dignity and respect.

Zombie movies, and indeed TV shows, make it clear that the writers think society is more likely to fall apart because we won't cooperate than because of the zombies themselves.

That, for me, is the appeal. I'm interested in the characterization of the survivors and the way they turn out in the aftermath of the outbreak.

I've been in emergency situations and I'm never surprised by the nobility - and some of the selfishness, too, unfortunately - that I've seen. Maybe I've gotten this wrong, but I guess what zombies represent is the total lack of humanity shown by some when most have to pull together.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Well, yes. And by holding up a mirror to it in a non-accusative way (zombies are just "there"), we can take a closer look at ourselves and ask, "What would I do?"

I did a bit of research into this and found that pre-Romero, zombies just lurched around aimlessly until they were ordered to do something. Romero is the one that got them eating people. He didn't even call them zombies -- other people did -- until the second movie.

In zombie lore, then, there's plenty of scope for having a creature that is not necessarily undead and is basically not a threat unless their controller commands them to be one.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Are you familiar with the Golem legend?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Not really. I'm vaguely aware that certain Jewish rabbis made big clay models that they were able to bring to life to protect the Jewish people, and that's it. I'd love to know more about it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

You pretty much got it. They'd feed a piece of scripture into the statue and that would bring it to life until it had accomplished its mission. What made me think of it was that zombies are sometimes brought to life for a specific purpose - often evil - by a witch doctor.

I must admit I do love Shaun of the Dead...but I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was 7. Some genius in our school district ordered it for a Saturday afternoon movie, at school. I remember it was cold because we were all in hats, coats and gloves. Our folks would drop us off, there was soda and popcorn, and we saw this. I had nightmares for months.

*sigh* I'm just not a zombie person.

And I'm sure it's because the first zombies I ever saw never knocked before entering, had deplorable table manners, killed & ate their nearest & dearest without asking, and were poor conversationalists to boot. I know it's not their fault - they can't help being disgusting. Also, I'm probably the only person on the planet who's never seen Thriller.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Aged 7????! :wtf: :? :help:

Someone needs a slap!

Actually, Thriller just has zombies dancing. They're not that scary. I can dig up a link if you want to see some dancing zombies.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Nope,nope,nope,nope,nope...I can do that myself, thank you very much - I don't think so. I don't like horrible horror; I like - maybe like isn't the right word - but anyhow, the monster in our midst I find is much scarier.

Those are the ones you don't see coming - like the neighborhood Gacy whose crawl space was lined with obscenely-murdered young men, or the motorman Christie, who stacked his "miss-takes" behind the kitchen wall. At least zombies let you know what they're up to.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:43 pm

shireling wrote:Nope,nope,nope,nope,nope...I can do that myself, thank you very much - I don't think so. I don't like horrible horror; I like - maybe like isn't the right word - but anyhow, the monster in our midst I find is much scarier.

Those are the ones you don't see coming - like the neighborhood Gacy whose crawl space was lined with obscenely-murdered young men, or the motorman Christie, who stacked his "miss-takes" behind the kitchen wall. At least zombies let you know what they're up to.

Woah, we're on opposite ends, here. I like monsters that look like monsters. I don't like slasher movies or ones where the monster is your kind, friendly neighbour. I guess I like identifiable monsters.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Candy!!!! :lol: Monsters aren't identifiable!!!!...for the most part, I don't think (btw, The Thing from Outer Space is on TV right now in my living room. Go get'em, Carrot! Darn, his fingers just got snapped off in the door...)

I don't like slasher films either - more e horribilus unum, or having neighbors that think Swift's A Modest Proposal is just recommending another protein supplement. That's why real monsters are so scary - you can't identify them until it's too late. Or you're part of the movie audience.

If we ever get the chance to meet, Candy - and I would really like that someday if we can ever make it happen - can we agree right now not to go to any zombie movies/plays/sporting events/readings/ballets/operas/symphonies/dinners/luncheons/kabuki theatre/dramas/design weeks or worship services?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:24 pm

ROFL!

Well, you were traumatised at age 7 by some idiot, so fair dues. I prefer fantasy by a country mile, anyway. I'm a lot more likely to get out my LOTR special edition or a Harry Potter DVD, unless you tell me you have never seen Shrek or Ice Age.

One more thing about zombies: once you've seen the Thriller video, you just can't take them seriously any more.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Candy Kane wrote:ROFL!

Well, you were traumatised at age 7 by some idiot, so fair dues. I prefer fantasy by a country mile, anyway. I'm a lot more likely to get out my LOTR special edition or a Harry Potter DVD, unless you tell me you have never seen Shrek or Ice Age.

Love all of those.

One more thing about zombies: once you've seen the Thriller video, you just can't take them seriously any more.

Well, if you say so. I might put it down as the very last thing on my Bucket List...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Good call. Chat thread?

Return to “Other”