Zombies!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Zombies!

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 pm

okay :)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Candy Kane wrote:I did a bit of research into this and found that pre-Romero, zombies just lurched around aimlessly until they were ordered to do something. Romero is the one that got them eating people. He didn't even call them zombies -- other people did -- until the second movie.

In zombie lore, then, there's plenty of scope for having a creature that is not necessarily undead and is basically not a threat unless their controller commands them to be one.

The Vincent Price movie "Last Man on Earth" came before, and Romero admited to getting ideas from this and the book it came from.
In "Last Man on Earth", the zombies are organized as they are trying to catch and kill the last man alive, who goes around during the day, killing sleeping zombies. The book "I am Legend" was named so because the man was a legend to the zombies, in the way that Dracula or Frankenstien's monster is to us humans.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Oh, wow, that is interesting. I need to watch that. I saw Omega Man and the Will Smith version, in which they were working on trying to cure, not kill the zombies.

Yeah, I remember reading something about that. I'd forgotten all about it.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 pm

AH! Sid the Sloth is my hero! I love those movies.

And zombies, what can you say that you already haven't? Shireling- I recall watching Night of the Living Dead on TV when I was younger... I'd need to know the movie release date to be able to extrapolate what year I'd seen it, but I recall it was in black and white which made it just a bit less scary.

OK- it came out in October 1968, so maybe it was late 1969 or '70 that I watched, which would have put me at 10 or 11. Was I scared? Yes. Though not traumatized.

On Halloween a couple of years ago the kids on my daughter's college campus began playing a game called Zombies vs. Humans.
They'd get a group that wanted to play.
The group would meet where they'd all get to eyeball each other. Slips of paper were put into a hat and each would draw. All but one slip was blank- but one paper said "Zombie."
The person that drew that slip was zombie prime, wouldn't let anyone know their status until they 'ate' their first human. Once that happened, then the zombie prime and the new zombie would have to wear a bandana around their necks to identify them as such.
The 'humans' in the game had to wear bandanas on their arms to identify them as being in the game.
The 'zombies' would try to tag the humans. Humans could repel them with either a smack with a nerf (foam) sword or pelt them with a sock grenade.
And yes- humans carried their nerf swords and balled up socks around with them on campus.
Once hit with either of those things- the zombie was 'out' for 15 minutes- could no longer pursue a human for that time.
Once a human was caught, they had to then wear their bandana around their necks and they became zombies and went after the other players.

The classrooms, the chapel and the dorm rooms were safe. All hallways and outdoor areas were fair game for the zombie attacks. Game over when there were no humans left.

They had such fun with the first game that they played it two more times that year, and they play about 3 times a year now. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Now that sounds like fun! I would have loved playing that. :)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm

That does sound good. I remember one year I dressed up as a zombie. My other half took me out to a concert in which the audience was invited to dress up. I said to the trolley dolly, "Can you take a picture of us, please? It's the last time I'm going to look like I've just eaten someone!"

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Night of the Living Dead and some other zombie, monster, or alien invasion movies seem to be more about group interaction under stress than true horror.

Once the zombies/aliens/monsters have been revealed, and have the survivors confined to a house/spaceship/research station/summer camp, there is not much left to do but to examine how the characters deal with fear/suspicion/trust/greed/self preservation, until they are all picked off one by one.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm

That's true. I'm working on one at the moment, and am trying to avoid all that. I reckon the I Am Legend/Omega Man movies went against that thread because the survivors cooperated and there wasn't any conflict between them.

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:17 pm

They had to be different. There was only one uninfected survivor through the first half of these movies. They dealt more with inner turmoil and conflict...keeping up a regiment of normalcy, to stop from going mad as a hatter. It was just a matter of time before they slipped up and were caught. They knew it, the zombies knew it, and the audience knew it.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:54 pm

That's true. I still think Charlton Heston's demise at the end of Omega Man is one of the best movie moments ever.

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 pm

I saw Omega Man on TV, probably in the early/mid 70's, when I was maybe 8 or 10.
After I saw it, I couldn't stop thinking about it for months. I just kept thinking about what I would have done, where I would have lived (surely not in the same city as the Family!), and if I would have tried to contact other humans or not. It was a powerful movie for little kids with big imaginations!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm

I was about that age when I saw if first, too. Great film, great moments, powerful ending. No wonder it's been redone over and over again!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 am

If there was a zombie apocalypse the best place to go would be Target...

http://fuckyeahrichardiii.tumblr.com/po ... arcadiaego

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Halloween is coming up and it's easy to dress up as a zombie: just pat some flour onto your face to make it pale. Now get some soy sauce and rub it around your eyes to hollow them. Get some red food colouring, add it to golden syrup and a dash of soy sauce. Splash it around your face and (preferably torn and dirty) clothes. You're good to go!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Nice, Candy! :yes: *puts on helmet to protect brain* Image

Btw, the neighbors have already decorated here!!

Return to “Other”