Old Favorite TV shows?

Halasian
Crimebuster

Old Favorite TV shows?

Postby Halasian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:01 pm

I have a few... Star Trek, Combat, & Twilight Zone from the 60's. Mash, Barney Miller, and WKRP in Cincinnati from the 70's. China Beach & Tour of Duty in the 80's, VR-5 and Pretender in the 90's. Over There, and Kojak with Ving Rhames, and Burn Notice in this century. Also, a local Seattle comedy show called Almost Live which aired after Saturday Night Live from 1984 to 1999 was excellent for Seattle Humor.

I'll have to add to my list later. Anybody have any faves that were say, cancelled too soom
Last edited by Halasian on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Old Favorite TV shows?

Postby TomCotton » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Here are some of the shows I enjoyed in me youth and still do when they show up on TV. Some lasted for many seasons, some did not.

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Beany and Cecil, Combat, Twilight Zone, Star Trek, The Andy Griffith Show, Hogan's Heroes, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Barney Miller, Dr. Who, Night Gallery, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, China Beach, Northern Exposure.

That is all I can remember for now. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I wish they kept Freaks & Geeks a little longer.
There was a show called Connections, that used science and history to explain how things were connected to each other. I think it was renamed before it was canceled.

Time Tunnel
Tales of the Unexpected

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 am

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Outer Limits
- the original, please!
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (btw, does anybody know what THRUSH stood for?)

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:45 am

Ah yes, The Man From Uncle... my older sister wouldn't miss it as she had a crush on David McCallum.

Also as a kid I wouldn't miss The Invaders!
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah, the Alfred Hitchcock show was another good one. :yes:

THRUSH stands for Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity

Note that the shows producers said it didn't stand for anything, but the above definition was given in "The Dagger Affair" - the 4th (6th in the UK) in the series of paperback MFU novels in this case written by David McDaniel. This will probably be the nearest we'll ever get to an "official" definition although for accuracy one should probably side with the producers of the original series and say it stands for nothing in particular.
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:44 pm

TomCotton wrote:Yeah, the Alfred Hitchcock show was another good one. :yes:

THRUSH stands for Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity

Note that the shows producers said it didn't stand for anything, but the above definition was given in "The Dagger Affair" - the 4th (6th in the UK) in the series of paperback MFU novels in this case written by David McDaniel. This will probably be the nearest we'll ever get to an "official" definition although for accuracy one should probably side with the producers of the original series and say it stands for nothing in particular.

Thanks, Tom! I remember reading that THRUSH meant nothing, but in an interview years later I think it was Robert Vaughn who spelled it out but I couldn't swear to it.

One of my cousins would buy those paperbacks, along with Fleming's 007s, and I read a few. Among some of the first fanfics, I think they were.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Due South, Pushing Daisies, My Name is Earl, American Gothic...

I know they're not old, but still.

Oh, and Top of the Pops.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:57 am

Star Trek, M*A*S*H, Twilight Zone, Creature Feature/Chiller Theatre, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Outer Limits, Thunderbirds, Superman, Batman.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 am

I never knew there was a Superman show, but I did love Batman. I can get links for recordings of those shows for anyone who is interested.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:30 pm

MsBrandybuck wrote:Star Trek, M*A*S*H, Twilight Zone, Creature Feature/Chiller Theatre, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Outer Limits, Thunderbirds, Superman, Batman.

Oh, yes!!! And there was one where a guy was trapped in a spaceship, showing movies with robots? I can't remember the name to save me, but I can see the three of them sitting down-front in silhouette watching these really cheesy sy-fy/horror movies...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:09 pm

shireling wrote:Oh, yes!!! And there was one where a guy was trapped in a spaceship, showing movies with robots? I can't remember the name to save me, but I can see the three of them sitting down-front in silhouette watching these really cheesy sy-fy/horror movies...

MST3K or Mystery Science Theater 3000, with Joel, Crow T. Robot, Tom Servo, Gypsy, Pearl. One of the best shows ever. :D

Joel and the crew have a stage show where they recreate MST3K.
Audere est Facere

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm

YES :D!!! O God, I miss that :(!!!

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I know it was corny, but as a kid I really liked Wonder Woman. I may have been young, but I just couldn't look away from Linda Carter in that outfit.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:12 pm

It still fits her. I loved the show, too, and that reminds me of other foxy but tough women characters - with and without lariats :D:

The Big Valley (Barbara StanwycK)
Honey West (Anne Francis)
Cagney & Lacey (I love Tyne Daly)
The Avengers (with the incredible Diana Rigg)

Return to “Other”