Old Favorite TV shows?

Halasian
Crimebuster

Re: Old Favorite TV shows?

Postby Halasian » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:31 am

I was cracking up watching an episode of 'Barney Miller'. typewriters and old telephones... it was only in the 70's!
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:39 am

Did it make you feel old? I've watched television programmes I used to love when I was a kid and was disappointed at how dated they are now.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:41 am

Yeah, rotary phones. I wonder if some of the people now would know how to use one of those. :D
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:24 pm

LOL! Dang, I remember using those. I had a friend who kept one as an antique. In 2001!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I remember - or misremember - this one episode of Columbo with Bill Shatner. He taped a football (?) game on his VCR, or maybe it was a Beta then. It was supposed to be his alibi?

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I can believe it. Betamax? Oh, that takes me back!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

There are so many shows - and movies, now that I think about it - that are plot driven by communications.

Like Dark Shadows. What if Willy Loomis had a cell phone? Makes me think...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 am

TomCotton wrote:Yeah, rotary phones. I wonder if some of the people now would know how to use one of those. :D

Reminds me of the movie "In and out" with Kevin Kline and Matt Dillon. Matt Dillon's girlfriend (a model) was at a motel and tried to use a rotary phone. Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lmao:

One of my old favourite shows is probably "Mission impossible". Kinda loved the spy game. :)

Still haven't bought Due South, because it's pretty expensive :roll:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:32 pm

:yay: 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' Creator Raises $500K Toward New Season!!!!!! :yay:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... new-season

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:01 pm

All right, MST3K back on. Joel, Tom Servo, Crow T. Robot, &ca. Some more Deeeep Hurting. :D

Kickstarter Bring Back MST3K
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:29 pm

MST3K is on PBS! Last night's offering was Cave Dwellers with Miles O'Keeffe, Lisa Foster and Chen Wong as Thong :D !

It looks like it'll be on Saturday nights; I don't know when they plan to start new episodes. What I saw was a repeat, but that's okay.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 am

Well, that was quick :lol: ! I guess there wasn't much call for it, because after little more than a month Mystery Science Theater 3000 was pulled from PBS. I enjoyed it. I'd forgotten how many cultural references could be shouted out during the movies, and I was chuckling through the whole thing. It's a shame, but there it is.

On the other hand, Have Gun, Will Travel has been moved from a subscription channel to the local "TV Land" variety network. Set in the post-Civil War West, it was a much more enlightened show than I remembered - 224/30 minute episodes - with lots of co-stars that would later show up as regulars on other series and sitcoms. Like Morey Amsterdam, who knew? Not much in the way of violence - Paladin (Richard Boone) would try to avoid it, if possible, and issues, like sexism, war, domestic violence and racial hostility, were touched on, even if ever so lightly, and in a time when some folks didn't think we had problems with any of those. There's a stereotypical Chinese character called Hey Boy (even writing the name makes me wince), who interacts with Paladin whenever he's at home in San Francisco, and there's a cordiality between the two men that's commendable, but still, ya know?

Anyway, I used to watch this with my dad every Sunday after Bishop Sheen, and it's a wonderful memory to have.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:40 pm

There are rumors abroad that Dark Shadows, the gothic soap opera, may be coming to a network near me.

No, not the remake with Ben Cross - Jonathan Frid!!!!!! The original reluctant vampire!!!!! :yay: Long before they were shiney, Barnabas was sad, not as apologetic as Johnny Depp, but you knew he'd really rather not bite anybody. I sure hope this isn't somebody's idea of a joke. I would love to see this again.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16 am

Have Gun, Will Travel has been a revelation.

Ever since it was first brought back on the air, I have seen every episode. Richard Boone's Paladin is a gentleman, and scholar - who loves theatre, routinely quotes Shakespeare, Lao-tzu, and even Sun Tzu and Machiavelli, should the appropriate occasion arise. He knows more than a smattering of precious metals, mineral ores and their market values, and how to treat a horse. He's an enforcer who will laconically share the amount of pressure his Colt Single Action Army Revolver can bear before firing, but will also work diligently towards not having to use it.

Though there are instances when he has no choice but to 'put down' an incorrigible - the times being what they were on the frontier - his regret is clear. All people are equal in his eyes, and I'm glad I can watch it again - now that I'm more than old enough to appreciate it.

Return to “Other”