The White Queen

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

The White Queen

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Sorry that it took so long, and also sorry, that I won't be able to write more than just a couple of lines, now. :/ I'm drowning in work... I've been trying to write a list, but I keep getting distracted. :/

I liked watching the show, although I have to admit, that – due to the late hour and watching 10 episodes in 3 days (Saturday and Sunday 3 episodes in a row, and on Mondy 4 episodes in a row) – I fell asleep a couple of times, even though I didn't want to... :paperbag:

I liked the actors. The cast was great. Of course I liked that Richard wasn't portrayed as the villain of the story (I think Aneurin would have caught my eye anyway, LOL. There is something about him stat sticks out :redeyeroll: ). What bothered me, though, was that even though the story span about 20 years of time, the characters hardly aged (especially the Queen). I noticed that when they were in the Tower of London. Apart from a few streaks of grey and a slightly paler make-up, she didn't look much older than in the beginning). The men didn't age much as well.

I don't know how much of it is Philippy Gregory's fiction, but I assume she did some thorough research and wove her story around the historical facts. For my part, I'd like a re-run soon. Or get my hands on the DVD.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: The White Queen

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Padfoot wrote:Sorry that it took so long, and also sorry, that I won't be able to write more than just a couple of lines, now. :/ I'm drowning in work... I've been trying to write a list, but I keep getting distracted. :/

That's okay. I understand. Work is the curse of most women, and not a few men :) .

I liked watching the show, although I have to admit, that – due to the late hour and watching 10 episodes in 3 days (Saturday and Sunday 3 episodes in a row, and on Monday 4 episodes in a row) – I fell asleep a couple of times, even though I didn't want to... :paperbag:

That is just plain crazy. The show recycles here every three months or so, and they do two episodes a night, five nights in a row. Who decided the schedule? I'll bet they're Lancastrians :( - sounds like them, diabolical.

I would love to see the European one, because there are scenes in the music videos that just don't appear in the US version. And they're wearing clothes!

I liked the actors. The cast was great. Of course I liked that Richard wasn't portrayed as the villain of the story (I think Aneurin would have caught my eye anyway, LOL. There is something about him stat sticks out :redeyeroll: ). What bothered me, though, was that even though the story span about 20 years of time, the characters hardly aged (especially the Queen). I noticed that when they were in the Tower of London. Apart from a few streaks of grey and a slightly paler make-up, she didn't look much older than in the beginning). The men didn't age much as well.

Aneurin caught my eye right at start - well, playing Richard made me want to see who it was - but then the kid has such presence. Once I noticed he was in the scene, I couldn't take my eyes off of him :paperbag: .

It's true, they don't age, but beginning late in Episode 4, you see Richard's forehead revealed for the first time. That means that he's achieved sexual maturity and from that point on, the forehead is ever present and signals that he's seeking a mate :) !

I don't know how much of it is Philippa Gregory's fiction, but I assume she did some thorough research and wove her story around the historical facts. For my part, I'd like a re-run soon. Or get my hands on the DVD.

She's not an historian, Paddy - Lord, no. Her books are written from the women's point of view - Margaret Beaufort, Elizabeth Woodville, and Anne Neville. It's historical from the standpoint that these were real people, but there's not much known about these ladies' lives, and she could say pretty much whatever she wants, and does. They're fan-fics, and there's nothing wrong with that. She just can't tell me she's an historian, and make it stick.

I'm glad for Richard's portrayal, too, but Anne and he didn't live at Warwick Castle - they lived at Middleham. The only reason I could see why that change, was to give George of Clarence another thing to be angry about (he married the eldest daughter, he had the title, so he should have the estate. Makes sense to me.) But, the relationship between Anne and Richard (who were my favorite couple), really suffers from that point on and I can't stand it :bang: :comp: !!! It's like she's trying to channel her dad - she's all "I'm the Kingmaker's daughter!" - and I just want to scream!!! The paranoia, more paranoia, and - did I mention? - the paranoia :lol: !!!

Why couldn't this have been based on The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman instead? Like you, I liked TWQ's cast. I just don't like the books that were used. Sunne is also a novel, but Penman spent twelve years, researching and writing it (the book is her second attempt; her first manuscript -400 pages- was stolen from her car, and the trauma left her unable to write for the following five years.)

Anyway, I'm glad you got to see some of it, Paddy. And I hope your work soon becomes more manageable :hug: .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 pm

shireling wrote:That's okay. I understand. Work is the curse of most women, and not a few men :)

How right... :lol:

That is just plain crazy. The show recycles here every three months or so, and they do two episodes a night, five nights in a row. Who decided the schedule? I'll bet they're Lancastrians :( - sounds like them, diabolical.

Yes, Lancastrians! Or maybe Tudors (but „The Tudors“ was airing right afterwards, and I'm sure they'd gotten better ratings if it had aired before midnight...) :D I have no idea who came up with the schedule. I would have been happy watching 2 episodes in a row, 5 days a week.

I would love to see the European one, because there are scenes in the music videos that just don't appear in the US version. And they're wearing clothes!

There are music videos? I bet they picked the few scenes when they actually had to wear clothes :lol:

Aneurin caught my eye right at start - well, playing Richard made me want to see who it was - but then the kid has such presence. Once I noticed he was in the scene, I couldn't take my eyes off of him :paperbag:

That's quite my reaction, too. Some guys just have that effect :paperbag: :lol: :slowblush:

It's true, they don't age, but beginning late in Episode 4, you see Richard's forehead revealed for the first time. That means that he's achieved sexual maturity and from that point on, the forehead is ever present and signals that he's seeking a mate :) !

I have a reason to re-watch it!!! :lol:

She's not an historian, Paddy - Lord, no. Her books are written from the women's point of view - Margaret Beaufort, Elizabeth Woodville, and Anne Neville. It's historical from the standpoint that these were real people, but there's not much known about these ladies' lives, and she could say pretty much whatever she wants, and does. They're fan-fics, and there's nothing wrong with that. She just can't tell me she's an historian, and make it stick.

I know :lol: I read „The other Boleyn Girl“, and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not. To be honest, it's pretty soapy. I didn't like the movie as well (Ben Cumberbatch never looked more ridiculous!) and I guess it's just a time (Henry's time) I wouldn't really want to have lived in. There was so much manipulation and plotting going on, and women being very much treated as a merchandise, to buy power and gain influence through marriage (or if not through marriage, then by becoming a mistress). I saw a documentary the other day (forgot about what it actually was), but one of the interviewed persons was Philippa Gregory, and she does know a lot about her history, so I suppose she does her research of the characters, and then creates her fan-fiction around the facts. Of course there's nothing wrong with it :D

I'm glad for Richard's portrayal, too, but Anne and he didn't live at Warwick Castle - they lived at Middleham. The only reason I could see why that change, was to give George of Clarence another thing to be angry about (he married the eldest daughter, he had the title, so he should have the estate. Makes sense to me.) But, the relationship between Anne and Richard (who were my favorite couple), really suffers from that point on and I can't stand it :bang: :comp: !!! It's like she's trying to channel her dad - she's all "I'm the Kingmaker's daughter!" - and I just want to scream!!! The paranoia, more paranoia, and - did I mention? - the paranoia :lol: !!!

I know. Besides, Warwick Castle is far more south (south of Leicster) then Middleham Castle. I suppose that's part of Gregory's „poetic license“ :D I did have some problems with Anne's character. She seemed to be kind of undecided what she really wanted. One day she obviously disagrees with her father and his doings (and is obviously afraid of him and her mother), then all of a sudden there's a complete U-Turn and she's „the Kingmaker's daughter“ ? Maybe I missed something here because I dozed off :paperbag:

Why couldn't this have been based on The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman instead? Like you, I liked TWQ's cast. I just don't like the books that were used. Sunne is also a novel, but Penman spent twelve years, researching and writing it (the book is her second attempt; her first manuscript -400 pages- was stolen from her car, and the trauma left her unable to write for the following five years.)

You know what? I went straight to Amazon and added the book to my wishlist. I intend to order within the next 3 weeks, so I can read it during my summer holidays! :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Padfoot wrote:
shireling wrote:Why couldn't this have been based on The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman instead? Like you, I liked TWQ's cast. I just don't like the books that were used. Sunne is also a novel, but Penman spent twelve years, researching and writing it (the book is her second attempt; her first manuscript -400 pages- was stolen from her car, and the trauma left her unable to write for the following five years.)

You know what? I went straight to Amazon and added the book to my wishlist. I intend to order within the next 3 weeks, so I can read it during my summer holidays! :D

Oh, I am so glad :yes: :yes: :yes: ! I've read numerous accounts of individuals insisting that the book come with a box of tissues, and oodles of phone numbers for Ricardian support groups, and I agree. I mean it, Paddy, it will seriously break your heart.

Whatever you do, don't let that stop you from reading it!

I feel the same way about We Speak No Treason, but there's something about Sunne, and meeting him first as a little boy, and I'll shut up now...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 am

No way you'll keep me from reading it, whatever Dr. Who says :lol: :lol: I'm grateful for every tip! Thank you for the warning, so I can buy enough boxes of tissues beforehand. :lol: :lol:

I found out that Mrs. Gregory actually studied history and English literature, that explains some things.

*Now off searching for We speak no Treason* :D

Found it and also added both volumes to my wishlist. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Padfoot wrote:*Now off searching for We speak no Treason* :D

Found it and also added both volumes to my wishlist. :D

It's actually my favorite of the two books :) .

I really should say why. It's four separate tales, all based on the point of view of three characters (The Maid and The Nun are the same person, at different times in life, and they bookend the piece. Her narrative necklaces The Fool and The Man of Keen Sight.)

You rarely hear Richard speak in this, and I read it when I was less inclined to having others put words into his mouth; it was the first of the two novels that I read, and you know what they say about your first love :paperbag: .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:08 am

:lol: I have ordered "Sunne" today.

Martin Freeman is going to star in Shakespeare's Richard III on stage in London from July to September. I'd love to see this as much as I'd love to watch Richard A. as John Proctor in "The Crucible"!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 am

Both Martin and Richard are getting excellent reviews for their respective portrayals!!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 am

I can believe RA as Proctor :) , seriously. Oh, I love theatre, and I never get enough of it :( .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm soooo itching to go over to London... :D :P I just need to find the funds... :/

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Me, too, but I need more than money :lol: . A dependable set of limbs, some thirty years off my age, and a passport would lovely as well! Just sayin' ...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:59 am

The Sunne in Splendour has arrived :D I have put it aside until my summer holiday (3 weeks to go...)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:47 am

I've been wanting to pick it up again. Let me know and we'll make a club of it, if you'd like :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:10 pm

I will! :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Good :D ! The Wars of the Roses have not faded from memory.

I was getting a mani/pedi today, and I'm sitting next to a very English-looking lady (having been immersed in MasterPiece Theater since its inception, I felt safe.) The nail spa is inside of a Wal-Mart, so you can see the registers, and right at the end of one, was an entire exhibit of bagged candy.

There were Reeses, Snickers, Hershey's, M&Ms, and York, the cartons all stacked upon each other, but with none of those new Tudor caramel creams in sight. So, I lean over and say, "Finally, a place that knows you shouldn't display York and Lancaster together." And she laughed, saying, "I just came from Kroger, and that's exactly what they're doing!"

Oh, how this has cheered me :D !

Return to “Other”