My dear Joon...

Create and maintain a daily journal here.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: My dear Joon...

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I went to my last Franciscan meeting yesterday. I'm sure now that I can't be an Affiliate.

No matter how you slice it, the affiliate program, reads as catechism. And it was fascinating to me yesterday, to see just what it means to be a conservative Catholic. The current on-going formation person is worried that I'm Muslim, and she is the one who, I'm convinced, who has raised the alarm that I'm there to convert them.

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now. Know what you believe. Study, pray, meditate and learn how to stand up for those beliefs no matter what you hear from others, because you know in your heart what speaks to you. Don't be afraid to hear what others believe; if you've done the work, you'll find it so rewarding. That has been the greatest gift the Baha'i Faith has been to me. I love knowing about other religions and philosophies; it's an avid curiosity that I've maintained all my life. When I was younger, I could be hurt by people who would mock my beliefs and feel inadequate when I couldn't answer the questions that were put to me. Yesterday, I felt much more like we were equals, having a passionate but respectful discussion. I wasn't out to convince her that I was right or she was wrong. I had hoped to show how we can still work together, that we have much more in common than not.

I don't think I was successful :lol: with Jane, but Joan does understand. Anyway, I am a Friend of Secular Franciscans - a FSF (we just came up with that), or maybe it was GFF (Good Friend of Franciscans.) So, I've got my own little niche, officially :D .

:)
sara

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm

There are two things that have been on my mind that I want to address. One is Trump's decision (!) to make Jerusalem the capital of Israel. The other is the taking to court of individuals who refuse to provide services to the LGBTQ community - in this case, to bake a wedding cake for two grooms.

The second, I think, is more easily dealt with. Why, my beloved brothers and sisters, take that route? There are so many tradespeople who not only support, but are members of our own community, who would be honored to bake our wedding cakes and cater our weddings that, forgive me, it's silly not to seek them out. Yeah, so it's against the law to discriminate. Let them, and take your business elsewhere. These are folks who are looking to be 'persecuted' for their religion; do not play into that. Please. I can't bake to save my life, but if you guys came to me, I would ask what do you have in mind?, and get you to a pastry chef who would make the cake of your dreams. As for these, who seek public applause for their bigotry, I think this says it best.

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. - Matthew 6:5

Now. As for the first...

This is so painful. Jerusalem is the third Holy Site of Islam. Mark that. The third. The first two are Mecca and Medina. How many such sites do the Jews have? I'll tell you a story - and these are my words, to the best of my ability.

In the beginning, the followers of Muhammad faced Jerusalem as the Qiblah, the Point of Adoration. Everyday, they would stand behind the Prophet and follow Him as He led. But, as time went on, Muhammad became discontented with the choice, and one day, the Angel Gabriel, the Source of the Holy Spirit to Him, appeared and said, "Come, and We shall give thee a Qiblah more to thy liking."

So, the next time the Call to Prayer was given, and the Muslims were assembled, facing Jerusalem, Muhammad turned toward Mecca. Some of His followers were deeply dismayed, and lost their faith; but there were others, who followed the example of their Lord, and were content. - from sara

What that tells me, is that Jerusalem should not be held in such regard that the people die for it. That Jerusalem has not had the stature for Islam since the days of the Prophet Himself. It's not that Jerusalem is not a Holy City; it most definitely is. But, the Prophet Muhammad Himself - may peace be upon Him - turned from it in His lifetime, and it has gone from first to third.
Either take it as your capital, no matter the name of your nation, or let it go. But do not shed blood for it. And that's all I've got.

sara

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 am

The Honey's doing better. We saw the NP and she's got him on Adderall for attention deficit. That's what he really wants to be treated for. When he can't concentrate, he can't read and then he can't post what he wants to say in the forums. It was either that or Ritalin - which he's had in the past. That worked really well, but then there was some sort of shortage (I can't remember but it had something to do with the manufacturer not wanting to go generic, I think) - anyway, there was a great hullabaloo and he was without his prescription, along with God knows how many other people, mainly kids.

They only do this with neuro/mental health, because, I figure, if you complain, they'll just say you're crazy - who's gonna listen to you? But enough of that. This is working so far and I'm happy that he's in there, typing away, with Maler on full blast, busting his eardrums.

I talked to my sister yesterday. My brother-in-law is better heart-wise, but now he's Type II. If he can lose the weight, like some 80 lbs or so, he'll be like Duane and can manage with diet and exercise. He's on Metformin like me; I hope it works for him. It has a tendency to upset your gastrointestinal tract. This one guy said it felt
like a moose was loose

in his gut - nobody has been able to describe it better. Anyway, they're going to a class - a diabetic cooking class, for Bev. It's so droll. You've been cooking since you before you were in the double digits, and now you're going to be told you're doing it all wrong. I love visiting my sister. She makes chicken paprikash; she can make pierogies from scratch, she's had more practice. MIne will nail you to your seat, they're so heavy - I could never get the dough right. Mom used to say, make sure you do before you serve them to company. They eat kielbasa, sauerkraut and potatoes at her house, boiled in the pot. I'll bet she even makes stuffed cabbage, the twerp. It's this time of year that I miss all that. Besides the nut and poppy seed roll, and all those cookies, damn.

Oh, and Duane has decided that he no longer likes pizza. Made by anybody - he's not into it anymore. No Papa John's, no Donatos, nothing store bought. *sigh* That was my go-to meal when I got caught short. It's not a bad thing - it's not really good for us. But, on a cold night, it could be wonderful. And that's mainly from when I was a kid, and there were five other people to feed. The connections to the past are mainly food, but that's what's so easy to remember. The smell, the texture, the taste - just a whiff and back you go.

Speaking of going back, the DNA kits went into the mail today. I hope we did them right. It'll be 6-8 weeks before we get our results. I wonder if we'll know sooner if we screwed up? I told Bev; she doesn't care. Ain't that American? :lol: What the hell - we're here! I'm just not that pedestrian, I guess. But I did check off that I don't want to be contacted by people that match; Duane does. I said, okay, you talk to them. I do want the genetic, anthropology, etc. - anything that will help science I am right on board with. Anyway, I had tears in my eyes as I pushed them through the slot at the post office. All those people I don't know who made me what I am - it is beyond cool. I'm so excited.

And then, on Saturday, a Franciscan priest gave a talk on the life of Saint Francis. He's done all kinds of research on him; he is convinced, and he may be right, that Francis suffered from PTSD (he was a soldier, which is easy to forget, when you're filling those birdbaths with the little tonsured/brown-habited statues standing in the middle.)

Boys in Assisi were put to work killing pigs for practice. You'd get a knife, and stab in just below the ribs and up into the heart. Eleventh century city states were fighting each other - the word about nationhood, from Muhammad, hadn't gotten around to there yet - and Francis killed people. He suffered for it, doing penances that he's never put on anybody else, fasting four times a year for all the men he'd slaughtered in battle. And this went on until an angel appeared, and said, that's enough.

Father also thought that the stigmata came from Francis's worry over his friend, the Sultan Malik al- Kamil. Things got a bit dicey for him, and there was nothing Francis could do. These two guys really hit it off; I could feel, right away, that they became wonderful friends, brothers from other mothers if you will. And Francis could do nothing, but internalize his fear and concern for his best friend, and it came out in these bleeding wounds of the Cross. *tears* I've really come to love this man, and that program Saturday just made it all the more so.

Father Quigley didn't pull any punches. He stated that the Church was going through a really evil time; it was making money hand over fist from the Crusades. Sign-up, sign-up your farm, get a plenary indulgence! Cut your time in Heaven's waiting room! Or, better yet, buy them! When you get back, if you get back, sign-up again! And if you die, the Church gets your farm! We'll put your wife in a convent! Lies were told that should have shamed the Hierarchy. But, they didn't.

I've known these things, but I couldn't tell my friends in the Fraternity. It really took a cleric, with the parish priest sitting right there. I don't think it ever occurred to most of them why there was a Reformation. Luther wasn't a bad man; he was a disgusted man, and he had ever right to be. How much of this will stick and stay with them - I don't know. But it seems to me that the people who needed these facts, who should hear these truths, are never around to hear them. Always, always present at gatherings, conferences, programs, but let the cell phone ring and they leave the room, missing the most important points. Always on the phone, from landline days in my community, during Feasts, Assembly meetings, and firesides! Made me want to scream! It still does. But, there were some thirty people in that room on Saturday at Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, all of them part of the Secular Franciscans in some capacity, and I know they will not soon forget.

sara

Return to “Journals”