ashbow's weighty journal

Create and maintain a daily journal here.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: ashbow's weighty journal

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Still on a roll :lol:. I have this vision of you as an acrobat, rolling your 'roll' around the ring and juggling apples!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 am

Or taking a flying leap through a rolling pastry. ;)

Ash, you are absolutely right, regarding picking the right date to start. There's wisdom there.

I am VERY impressed with what you've accomplished so far- it's inspiring!!!!
:)
Though I need to make incremental small changes- I am overwhelmed by the big (pun intended) picture. ;)
I have started to reduce/restrict my intake of sweets, and instead of rewarding myself with dessert after dinner every single night, I have instead begun having a small cup of decaf flavored coffee - hazelnut or french vanila, for example.
I put a bit of artificial sweetner in it and a smidge of fat free milk.
And I sip it slowly and enjoy the taste- and that seems to satisfy me as much as that bowl of ice cream used to. I find that I am sleeping better at night without having something so heavy and fattening at the end of the evening.
I am also eating smaller portions and supporting this with small healthy, inbetween snacking.
Have also cut off eating out for lunch or dinner. Decided to set specific dates once or twice a month where we will splurge on a meal out at a restaurant.

Geez- look at me! Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Ashbow. :D

Your progress, again, is amazing and I am thrilled for you! Keep going!
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:12 pm

194 today. "slow and steady wins the race"...only 29 more pounds to go.

All the comments and chat here are welcomed Ms B. My posting here is how I keep remembering that I am on a diet. I like your plan to slowly get into the idea of a diet. I will need to do something similar when I have hit my goal, and want to slowly go back to eating what I need just to balance out and not lose or gain anymore.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Maintaining has always been my problem. Losing never was until recently, but I could never keep it off longer than a couple of years once I did. When it came back, it was always what I lost plus another 10-15lbs.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 pm

192 and I feel it! I am starting to notice a difference.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Great!!!
Keep it up. :)
— Worf

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm

I had a bad day yesterday..The snow kept most people out of the office, and it was boring...so I hit the snack table at work a few times. Snow makes me restless to get out, and since my little one has been sick, I couldn't get outside much after work. I hit the snack cabinet again at home.

Today has been a little better, and I did cave in to a small pack of cookies, but I hope I got it out of my system now.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 pm

:hug:

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:10 pm

194...up 2 :um:

Thursday and Friday were not good diet days.

Saturday and Sunday I did better, but Sunday evening I had two large slices of pizza. Maybe my portions are going up a bit again, and that is what I need to watch, even when it is healthy food. The calories sneak up on you.

I thought I would still be 192 today..I did 3 1/2 hours of sledding with the kids on Saturday, and took them bowling on Sunday, which our local lane runs a special (3 hours all you can bowl for $10 per person including shoes).
With the snow on the streets, I have not been able to safely walk during the week at lunchtime though.

I guess knowing I was getting all that exercise let me believe I could eat more and not worry. I guess I was wrong.

January was a great month overall. I started at 212 and ended at 194, so I lost 18 pounds. Those were the easy pounds though, and I have a smaller goal for February. I would like to lose 9 pounds and start March at 185.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Way to have a good attitude!

It is SO hard...... and portion control is not easy.
I know that I tend to eat from boredom, so I have to keep busy or just not have snack-y things in the house.
I am doing a lot better with my portion control.
Still- the hardest thing now is to begin some kind of daily exercise routine. It's tough when your workday is about 14 hours (which mine's been lately). Not enough hours in the day to work, connect with family, manage dinner...besides- too tired, dammit!
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Our bodies go through cycles - we gals so much more than guys because of the whole child-bearing thing (even when we're all done with that stage, our hormones tend to want to keep us on the plus-side.)

Even so, if you go up a pound or two and you've been ever so good, if you're weighing yourself very consistently, what you're seeing is your body re-adjusting. Chances are that extra smidgen on the scale is water - which you will shed provided you don't cut back on drinking it. You want your metabolism to stay even, so eat and drink before you get really hungry and thirsty. It keeps you in control.

And btw, if you want a cookie - have a cookie!!!! Not a carrot, not an apple - one cookie will not bring down the house. Just make sure it's the best damn cookie you can get your mitts on, not some crappy "value-brand", unless that's what you're craving. That goes the same for anything. Have it if you want it, let it be exactly what you want and enjoy ever bit of that slice, scoop or dollop you've been craving.

Now - go forth and enjoy! :D

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 pm

191 today! lost what I gained back, plus an extra pound for good measure.
I was really vigilant and I would have been dicouraged if I hadn't seen any results.
I only need to keep losing 2 pounds a week to reach my 'end of February' goal..185.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Very wise advice, shireling.

I've found that if I am craving something sweet at night, instead of cookies or ice cream, I can be satisfied by having a cup of flavored coffee - hazelnut or french vanilla- and I have it with a touch of low fat milk and an artificial sweetener. Or I'll have some hot chocolate. And that will satisfy the craving for something sweet.

GREAT job, ashbow- you are close to your goal now. :)
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 am

MsBrandybuck wrote:I've found that if I am craving something sweet at night, instead of cookies or ice cream, I can be satisfied by having a cup of flavored coffee - hazelnut or french vanilla- and I have it with a touch of low fat milk and an artificial sweetener. Or I'll have some hot chocolate. And that will satisfy the craving for something sweet.

Those are my favorite bedtime snacks! The cats, me, my flavored-coffee (just like you make yours, but I do well with caffeinated), in bed with the remote. *dreamy sigh*

GREAT job, ashbow- you are close to your goal now. :)

So true! :yes: I'm very happy for you!

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

189 today :8

I found a major part of my weight loss has been avoiding large treats like cake, ice cream, pies...and also eating less bread, bagels and rolls.

With my old way of eating, I would take large bites, and barely chew or taste the food before swallowing and taking another big bite.
I wasn't really enjoying or tasting the food. It was more like transferring it from the plate to my stomach.
Now I take the time to chew, taste, and enjoy.

Snack small...a few walnuts, almonds or peanuts will do. It is better if they are in the shell and you need to work to get the reward.

I also allow myself 2 of the miniature Dove dark chocolates a day. Letting them slowly melt in your mouth will get one of these to last as long as a candy bar. Little snacks like this trick your body into thinking you are eating like before, and it stops your body from slowing your metabolism.

Return to “Journals”