What are you currently reading?

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

What are you currently reading?

Postby Padfoot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:36 am

Since we're all (more or less :D ) avid readers, and I'm always interested in new input, I'd like to keep up the thread about what we're currently reading. It was always a good piece of information and advice for me, I found a couple of really interesting books this way.

So, here we go...

I'm currently reading Marlee Matlin's autobiography "I'll scream later", which makes quite an interesting reading.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Currently reading "Pillars Of The Earth" by Ken Follett.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:13 pm

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Llarsson. Emotionally scarred young woman an independent, highly intelligent loner with trust issues who suffered from horrific chilhood trauma in an engaging thriller. Young woman also kicks major ass. Good stuff.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 am

I'm trying (and failing, though not through any fault of the book) to get through a compilation of Roald Dahl's adult stories. The stories themselves are excellent, if truely disturbing in places. I had no idea that Dahl even wrote anything non-childrenish. Reading this book has really spun a new light on The Twits et al, I have to say :/
[Under Construction]

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 am

Me, on the other hand, didn't know (until a couple of years ago), that Dahl wrote anything that was kids-related... :lol: Although I have to admit that my knowledge of Dahl's works is veeeery limited.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm mostly doing reading for the literature classes I'm teaching. So that means:
The Magicians Nephew by C.S.Lewis (for the umpteenth time) and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (for the 3rd time).

And in my spare time I'm listening to The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas for the 2nd time.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Speaking about that, Paddy, do you want to know what audiobooks we are listening too? I have a long drive to and from work and O and I are very much into audiobooks to pass the time :)
[Under Construction]

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 am

Yep! I love audiobooks, too. (In this case) unfortunately, I have only a 5-minute-drive to work, so listening to audiobooks while driving to and from work isn't worth it - but I do like to listen to audiobooks when at home!

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:58 pm

I am currently re-reading The Time Machine by HG Wells. It has someting to do with time and a machine. :D
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:32 pm

I own the Narnia books in audio format, but I can't listen to them. I'm very visual and I can't keep up with the story (even though in this case I already know it), unless I actually read it myself.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 pm

TomCotton wrote:I am currently re-reading The Time Machine by HG Wells. It has someting to do with time and a machine. :D

And "The" ? :D

I'm currently listening to The Host by Stephanie Meyer (yes the Twilight woman but don't let that put you off, this story is far superior IMO).
[Under Construction]

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:16 am

I started reading "The Help" this weekend while at my sister-in-law's house because it was on her coffee table. I need to go to the library tomorrow and pick up a copy so I can finish it!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 am

I finished the biography and now I'm reading "The Mozart Conspiracy" by Scott Mariani - my niece gave this to me. It's a pretty wild story....

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:31 am

Kraken by China Mieville now...
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Sand in the Wind by Robert Roth

Stanley Kubrik has some out right blatant rip offs from this book in his Full Metal Jacket movie, almost down to the puncuation marks. :roll:

Roth is not given credit anywhere that I have been able to see. I first read the book in the late 1970's then saw the movie when it came out and thought some parts sounded very, very familiar. They were.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Return to “General Fiction”