What are you currently reading?

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby resoundingjoy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm oh so slowly plodding through E. O. Wilson's "Sociobiology." I read about 8 pages the other day and had to stop. It's very dense science stuff, but I really enjoyed his "Social Conquest of Earth," so I figured I should attempt to learn some more.

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:09 pm

"W" is for Wasted, by Sue Grafton.
She's been writing the alphabet mystery series for some 23+ years now.... "A is for Alibi, B is for Burgler," etc.

Her main character is private investigator Kinsey Millhone, with a couple of regular supporting characters. You come to know them over the years and they are very comfortable to be around.

I was thinking that the author may have gotten a bit tired of her formula, as it seems that the plots from the last few books in the series was phoned in. Like we'd all been through this before, ho hum.
But I have to say that this latest story was very engaging and enjoyable.
I do wonder whether the author will retire once she's published her book on the letter "Z," or if she has other plans up her sleeve.
I wonder what will become of Kinsey?
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

The name Sue Grafton rings a bell... but I don't think I have read any of her books, yet.

Just finished "Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet" by M.C. Beaton (took me 1 day to read :lol: ), and currently reading "Eloise" by Judy Finnigan. After that, it'll probably be "Just one evil act" by Elizabeth George. I just bought it.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Paddy - what's the plot summary on the book you just finished... it sounds interesting!

I just finished reading "Things That Matter" by Charles Krauthammer. I don't know how well he's received as a regular political analyst on the Fox News network, however, he's been a political insider for over 30 years and has unique insight into the workings of various gov't admins over those years. It's fascinating to read his take on things, as well as tidbits about his personal views on life and such.

I just started a Clive Cussler book: "Zero Hour" It's a Dirk Pitt story. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm

MsB, here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Raisin-Vicious-M-C-Beaton/dp/1849011354/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1395665403&sr=8-16&keywords=Agatha+Raisin
It's the second book in a series of about 20 books. I liked it, it made me laugh out loud sometimes.

This one is the first book in the series (which I haven't read yet, but will soon!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Raisin-Quiche-Death-Beaton/dp/1849011346/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_z

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 am

Been reading some books lately:

The Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (I found it difficult to read, since I couldn't warm up to any of the characters, not even the good ones).

Deadly Heat by Richard Castle (love the show and the books are fun to read).

A particular eye for villainy by Ann Granger, an OK book, but nothing special (IMO this "Lizzie Martin/Ben Ross" series is too similar to Anne Perry's "Thomas Pitt" series, the constellation of characters - police inspector, his wife and their maid - is very much the same).

and I'm currently reading Blind Justice by Anne Perry.

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 am

I've started reading the X-Men comics -- found a collection of the first 24 volumes of "Uncanny X-Men," and am trying to go in this order: http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-b ... ogy/#order

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm currently reading "Blood on the Water" by Anne Perry.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

I joined two book clubs over the winter, and, in the course of attendance, found that I really could only give my attention to one. That one - that's meeting today - has "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion as the choice for the month of April.

Don, an Australian genetics professor, who could easily pass as the offspring of a ménage à trois peopled by Mr. Spock, Commander Data and Sheldon Cooper, has decided that he wants to wed and comes up with a survey dubbed "The Wife Project". In the course of his passing out copies of this to prospective mates, he meets totally-unsuitable Rosie, who is engaged of a serious search of her own.

It is a very warm, and funny book, completely engaging, and if you get the audiobook, as I did, you will be treated to the narration of Dan O'Grady. Told in first person, I laughed through the whole thing - and I didn't even really like Sheldon all that much (he gets on my nerves.) But, this comedic novel changed that...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 am

The Daughters of Mars by Tom Keneally

It's 1914, and Naomi and Sally Durance, the daughters of a dairy farmer and co-conspirators, in what they consider to be a crime, leave for Europe to nurse the wounded of the Great War. Together, they hope not only to provide for their nation's soldiers, but to assuage their guilt.

Inspired by the journals kept by Australian nurses.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm currently reading "Just an evil act" by Elizabeth George, after having finished "Death on Blackheath" by Anne Perry, and "Cotillion" by Georgette Heyer.

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am

The Book of Aron by Jim Shepard.

Exploits of an adolescent Jewish boy in the Warsaw ghetto during WWII doing what ever he can to survive. Gets very intense at times.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 am

On Care for Our Common Home by Pope Francis I

In the encyclical, the Pope touches on the care (and the lack thereof) of our planet Earth, how profit-driven economies often don't consider (or don't care about) the environmental impact on marginalized populations, and why we need to start working together to stop the destruction...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:51 pm

"Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death" by M. C. Beaton
Was fun reading, I had to laugh out loud throughout the book. Very good observed!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I love the title :lol: ! When my book clubs start up in the fall, I'll have to tell them about that one :) .

Return to “General Fiction”