What are you currently reading?

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby shireling » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Padfoot wrote:I see no reason to ban books like Huckleberry Finn (or Tom Sawyer) or Uncle Tom's cabin (or Mockingbird) because they use the n*****-word (or to replace the word by a more politically correct term). One has to see it in the context of the time the stories takes place, and that word was used back then. Everything else would falsify the facts...

I agree.

I'm reading "The Wars of the Roses" by Alison Weir (and looking to see how P. Gregory's series of novels, "The Cousins' War" holds up.)

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 am

I'm working very slowly through Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale." I actually put it down for a couple of weeks and then had to start over because it's so dense!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm currently reading "The Reckonig" by Jane Casey. I like it.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:03 pm

We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman :) .

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

resoundingjoy

Postby resoundingjoy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:13 pm

I just flailed through "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" in preparation for BBC Sherlock's series three! I'm pretty sure I nodded off a couple of times as I was reading it at library mostly during the 11PM-2AM time slot of my shift...

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour

Written in the 1980's about a USAF pilot forced down in Soviet airspace and sent to a special prison camp near Lake Baikal in Siberia where information is extracted from prisoners that would help the USSR in political, scientific, and military areas of interest. The pilot is part Sioux indian and escapes and makes his way east across Siberia living off the land, heading for the Bering Strait in hopes of returning to the United States.
Interesting book and a bit of a departure from L'Amour's usual subject. One thing that is a bit anachronistic is that early in the story the pilot states that he is a member of the United States Army Air Corp. The USAAC changed to the US Air Force in 1947. Kind of strange to make that kind of remark. You can tell the story takes place in the 1980's because Gorbachev is mentioned as a leader of the USSR and the Soviet incursion into Afghanistan is mentioned.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 pm

TomCotton wrote:Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour

Written in the 1980's about a USAF pilot forced down in Soviet airspace and sent to a special prison camp near Lake Baikal in Siberia where information is extracted from prisoners that would help the USSR in political, scientific, and military areas of interest. The pilot is part Sioux indian and escapes and makes his way east across Siberia living off the land, heading for the Bering Strait in hopes of returning to the United States.
Interesting book and a bit of a departure from L'Amour's usual subject. One thing that is a bit anachronistic is that early in the story the pilot states that he is a member of the United States Army Air Corp. The USAAC changed to the US Air Force in 1947. Kind of strange to make that kind of remark. You can tell the story takes place in the 1980's because Gorbachev is mentioned as a leader of the USSR and the Soviet incursion into Afghanistan is mentioned.

:? I didn't know that there ever was a change from one to the other, until you mentioned it - how old is the pilot supposed to be in this?

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

The pilot is in his 30's. I figure the USAAC reference is L'Amour and the editor being in auto-mode and it slipped by. :)

That is not as annoying as the current crop of editors that just send a file through a spell check and if nothing pops up then it is OK for publishing. Of course the words might be spelled correctly but that does not mean the word is the correct word or that the syntax is correct. :roll: :naughty:
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:23 am

resoundingjoy wrote:I just flailed through "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" in preparation for BBC Sherlock's series three! I'm pretty sure I nodded off a couple of times as I was reading it at library mostly during the 11PM-2AM time slot of my shift...

It is very hard to wait for this...tap-tap-tap...very hard indeed.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:46 pm

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally-stunted, socially-crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world...

The other, of course, involves orcs."

— a quote without a source from a comment on A VC: The Limits of Capitalism (via elucipher)

resoundingjoy

Postby resoundingjoy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm reading "A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent," by Marie Brennan, which I thought was going to be a fantastic adventure with a female protagonist and dragons, but which is turning out to be a teenage girl running around pretending to be a naturalist... :/

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm

I've finished a couple of books over the holidays:

Sylvester by Georgette Heyer
Eclipse by Hilary Norman
Dead like you by Peter

And now I'm reading Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Grimm's Fairy Tales - Complete and Illustrated translated from the original German. Disney it ain't. "That's for sure! That's for dang sure!"
Audere est Facere

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Great choice, Tom!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Fantastic :yes: !

I've got Hans Christian Andersen on my shelf - a treasury of seventy-two stories, translated from the original Danish, complete and unabridged. It has spoiled me for things Disney.

Return to “General Fiction”