What are you currently reading?

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It had me by the second sentence.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 am

"Stone Bruises" by Simon Beckett. After that, it's Moonfleet audio book time. :D
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:16 am

Now reading "The Angel Court Affair" by Anne Perry. Still have to upload Moonfleet to my e-book-reader.

Oh, and Richard Armitage has completed a new audio book (David Copperfield), available via audible.com :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:38 am

Padfoot wrote:Now reading "The Angel Court Affair" by Anne Perry. Still have to upload Moonfleet to my e-book-reader.

Oh, and Richard Armitage has completed a new audio book (David Copperfield), available via audible.com :D

*squeal!*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 am

Exactly! :lol: Recording is about to start very soon. I don't know how long it takes to record an audio book, but maybe it'll available around Christmas... hopefully. :D

Meanwhile, I'm downloading a bunch of books via Librivox, such as "Nicholas Nickleby", "Treasure Island", "Ivanhoe" to put them on my MP3-Player. :D Now I just need to find that player... where did I put it? :paperbag: :slowblush:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:46 pm

The Ghost Boy by Anne Schraff...about Huntington's Chorea. If I say any more I'll spoil it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:10 am

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

A blind French girl and an orphaned German boy, paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.. - from Goodreads

I'm less than 100 pages in at this point and I absolutely love and recommend this!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:09 am

Sounds good. I'll put it on my list.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:46 pm

It is very good. I'm almost halfway through.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:41 am

I have already ordered it. I'll make it a present for my friend Inga's birthday.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:20 pm

It's good but, you know, the subject is tough. I've hit a bump in the reading; the characters are stressed and in danger at this point - which is to be expected, it is set in WWII in Europe after all - but I want so much for them to come out 'okay'.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm currently reading "A morbid taste in bones" by Ellis Peters (the 1st of the "Brother Cadfael"-series of books).

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Oh, I love Brother Cadfael! There's a BBC series starring Derek Jacobi, and that's where I first heard of him :) .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:02 pm

biscuitprince:
This is in our computer lab in the library
(via friggassons)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:58 pm

I just got my hands on Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse. I can't wait to start it, but I'm already into Patrick Kennedy and Stephen Fried's A Common Struggle, and that grabbed me from the first.

I lost a great friend three days after her 52cd birthday; she was born on December 9th, 1963. On this past December 12th, while watching TV with her fiancee, she stopped breathing. He started CPR, called 911, but as hard as they worked, she never came back. We met when both of our sons were little - they were in the same class - and we hit it off immediately. She was warm, and witty, and just downright funny. I loved her to bits.

Donna was bipolar. She tried so hard, for so long - in June she had a stroke. When she came home from the hospital, she had MRSA in her lungs. It just wouldn't go away, and in the end, all those years of smoking and self-medicating took their toll. Her Travis lives where Michael first did, when he moved out. We visited him on Christmas Day, and brought him presents.

I've wanted to read this second book, about Patrick Kennedy's own difficulties ever since I first heard about it, and the Mycroft Holmes looks like wonderful fun - which I could really use right now :) .

Return to “General Fiction”