Librivox - free audiobooks

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
Azriel
Crimebuster

Librivox - free audiobooks

Postby Azriel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 am

In the "What are you reading?" thread I noticed Cassie mentioned listening to a lot of audiobooks. I too listen to a lot, and thought I'd share a great place to get them for free.
I use Librivox (http://librivox.org/). It's only books that are public domain, so only older books, but they have a lot of classics of all genres.
The readers are all volunteers so the quality of the reading varies, and for long books often there will be many different readers since they do a chapter at a time. But still, considering how much audiobooks usually cost, this is an excellent service.
If you have itunes you can search for librivox in the podcast section and browse the books they have. There are tons.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Librivox - free audiobooks

Postby TomCotton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 pm

That looks like something interesting. Thanks for the heads up. :yes:

I use Project Gutenberg for some etexts (note the graphic link in my sig).
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

Cassie
Wyvern

Re: Librivox - free audiobooks

Postby Cassie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks Az, I'll definitely have to check that out. We've spent tons on audiobooks over the last year or so, on newer stuff, but I'd like to listen to some old classic (Austen etc.) so maybe this would be a good way :)
[Under Construction]

Return to “General Fiction”