Dystopian Future Fiction

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
ashbow
Crimebuster

Dystopian Future Fiction

Postby ashbow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:45 pm

I just can't get enough of these books that make the 'here and now' seem like the 'good ole days'.
Just to pull a few out of the hat:
Logan's Run
A Clockwork Orange
The Road
Farenheight 451
The Time Machine

Any other favorites?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Dystopian Future Fiction

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Haven't read The Road, but I've loved the rest of your list since my late teens. My other favorites are the other from Orwell, Animal Farm and Gulliver's Travels. Great stuff.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:35 pm

There was a short story I recall reading back as a teen called "The Test". It was about a man preparing to take his 80 year old father for a test. The test is revealed to determine if he was still in good enough shape mentally and physically to be allowed to live.

It seems that overpopluation (Logan's Run, Soylent Green, etc..) was on everyone's mind back in the late seventies!

Keith
House Elf

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 am

One which hasn't been mentioned yet but deserves to be is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I think it's one of the most chilling of all dystopias because it keeps its citizens docile not through fear but through pleasure, which is arguably much more realistic and relevant.

Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Withywindle » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:54 pm

The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. It's about as dystopian as it can get.

The Shadow of the Torturer
The Claw of the Conciliator
The Sword of the Lictor
The Citadel of the Autarch

Epic stuff.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Withywindle wrote:The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. It's about as dystopian as it can get.

The Shadow of the Torturer
The Claw of the Conciliator
The Sword of the Lictor
The Citadel of the Autarch

Epic stuff.

I loved that series...I guess that's more of a dystopian past/future fiction :lol:

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Stand On Zanzibar by John Brunner

I first read this book in 1969. The title refers to the speculation that by 2010 every living human on the planet could stand shoulder to shoulder on the island of Zanzibar. So, I wonder? :?

I have not read the book for around 35 years or so, but I do remember that it was a good read. Political, social, economic, and environmental commentary.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:23 pm

TomCotton wrote:Stand On Zanzibar by John Brunner

I first read this book in 1969. The title refers to the speculation that by 2010 every living human on the planet could stand shoulder to shoulder on the island of Zanzibar. So, I wonder?

Seems they'd run out of oxygen pretty quickly :lol:

Boy, the 60's and 70's were great times for predicting the future. For every boring "Living in a peaceful utopian world" story, we had ten exciting "post-nuclear, world gone mad, return to the dark ages scrape to survive" stories.

Return to “General Fiction”