RIP Ray

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
Withywindle
Evil Lair Tourguide

RIP Ray

Postby Withywindle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Ray Bradbury dies. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18345350

This could have pretty much gone in any book forum he was that prolific. I'll stick with General Fiction as a good catch all.

Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of my favourite books. I always wanted to ride on Cooger & Dark's Carnival! :evil: A brilliant 'young adult' novel when people didn't bother calling them 'young adult' or any other such twaddle and just read the bloody things.
Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune / Something to make us all happy / Do anything to take us out of this gloom / Sing a song, play guitar / Make it snappy ...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: RIP Ray

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 pm

I know :(. I love The Martian Chronicles, and the series of stories in The Tattooed Man. And Something Wicked... is awesome (did you see the movie, Withy?)

He published some 500 titles in his lifetime. His picture should be next to 'prolific' in the dictionary :).

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Yep, a loss to Storyworld. The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, I Sing The Body Electric. Just a few books and collections of stories that provided much entertainment, both in reading or as a basis for TV(Rod Serling was an obvious fan) and movies.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I got the name wrong...It was The Illustrated Man. That's what happens when you don't look at your shelf :roll:. Thanks, Tom.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:08 am

Reading 'The Illustrated Man'...
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 am

I chose The Martian Chronicles for a book club once, hoping that the gang would enjoy it. In the end, I'd have to say they were all very nice :paperbag: , even though it wasn't their cup of tea.

Return to “General Fiction”