E-Book vs. Real book

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." - come here to discuss all fiction that isn't fantasy or sci-fi.
Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

E-Book vs. Real book

Postby Padfoot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 pm

I was given an e-book-reader for my birthday, and though I use it regularly, I still have mixed feelings about it. I do see the advantages of it. :lol: I have to admit, it comes in very handy when I'm travelling. I don't need to pack tons of books :D Also, my already overcrowded bookshelves might not cave in... :D But on the other hand, somehow it just doesn't FEEL like a real book to me. No turning pages, no well-worn jackets... :D Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic. :D I bought a case, so I can open and close it like a book, that helps a little. :lol:

Besides (at least in Germany), when I buy an e-book I have to watch out very carefully that I don't get an abridged version of the book. E-books are a little (just a little) cheaper than real books, but the difference in price doesn't justify abridgement, IMO.

So, what do you think about this? E-book or real book?
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Re: E-Book vs. Real book

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm

My in-laws wanted to get me a Nook for Christmas but I won't let them. I just prefer real books. As you say, it's just not the same. I have to be able to hold the book, turn the pages. That and the fact I've got so many books as it is that to buy an E-book reader would be pointless because then I'd want to get some of the books I already have in that form and there's no point in buying the same book twice (unless it's a collectors edition or a signed copy of said book).

So for now I think I'll stick to the actual book.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I agree. I like the feel, the smell, just the sheer physicality of books. Like you, Paddy, I can see how they would be nice for travel, but that's it. Mine are filled with bookmarks and scribbled in on the cover pages where to find my favorite quotes...

The fact that you can be given abridged editions is horrifying! Especially if you're talking classics! Would you put your foot through a Rembrandt, or take a hammer to a Rodin? Of course not! So, how can anybody decide what part of Oliver Twist, Moby Dick or Les Miserables I can do without? It's nonsense!

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

I have a Kindle with the keyboard that was purchased a few years ago. It is great. :)

You can get a bunch of classic books from Project Gutenberg Catalog Overview, unabridged and free (there is also a link to the main page in my sig). I have purchased a few books from Amazon to read on it. The pricing is a bit wanky at times, though. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a hardcover book instead of the electronic version. :roll:

I like the feel of real books too, but the Kindle is so handy. I can store a whole passle o' books on it. When I finish a book I usually transfer the file to some other storage like a CD or USB drive to free up storage on the Kindle for more books. Righ now I have around 50 books on the Kindle.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, okay...as long as they're not abridging the works - I just can't abide that. I'm glad you're getting such terrific use out of your Kindle, Tom. And thanks for the link! :)

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:48 am

Yes, I found out about Project Gutenberg, and I downloaded "Clarissa" and "Alice in Wonderland". It's a really good place to look for classic books. I see your point Tom, and I agree with it (it's the reason I use it as well), but I just can't help it - there's still nothing like a "real" book to me :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 am

I write eBooks on Smashwords, and am very keen on Gutenburg. It's great to keep the classics alive! Physical books are great, too, and it's nice to be able to feel them, but my house would be one huge library if I didn't have eBooks as well.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Can't do this with e-books!

Return to “General Fiction”