Cross-Overs: Examples of Literary Mergings...

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Re: Cross-Overs: Examples of Literary Mergings...

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Oh hi there, Mountain King. Well, I'm glad you liked it a bit - at least for the originality. I don't know the Buffy fandom backwards, but I did a bit of reading and found some YouTube clips that gave me an idea of what the characters were like (in addition to the biographies on Wikipedia and the Buffy sites).

Where did I particularly murder it, just out of interest? I suppose I got Drusilla's behaviour wrong, but I'm pretty sure I got the others right. I couldn't help but add a reference to the brief affair between Joyce and Giles in "Band Candy" (I set this about halfway through Season 3). The fact that she mentioned the incident in a later episode (comparing him to a stevedore!) made me think she might have a bit of a thing for him.

Daleks V the Empire sounds like a great idea. I'll do my best to be original.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Mountain_King wrote:Well I don't like to pull my punches with a review... so if you don't know a show backwards don't write for it.

I agree with you there, and I confess I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to the current crop of zombies and vampires (Though I totally love "Shaun of the Dead", and watch it every time it's on, I only know of "Twilight" through parodies.)

One of my all-time favorite cross-overs is "The Dog Whisperer" and "South Park". I crack-up just thinking about it. And yes, that really is Cesar Milan. The only way I could really have enjoyed it is all the years I put in watching both.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Mountain_King
Mome Rath

Postby Mountain_King » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Candy Kane wrote:Where did I particularly murder it, just out of interest? I suppose I got Drusilla's behaviour wrong, but I'm pretty sure I got the others right. I couldn't help but add a reference to the brief affair between Joyce and Giles in "Band Candy" (I set this about halfway through Season 3). The fact that she mentioned the incident in a later episode (comparing him to a stevedore!) made me think she might have a bit of a thing for him.

It wasn't murder, more just sort of missed the point. I think the key point was you put too much in, too fast. Having Spike, Drusilla, Trick, D'Hoffryn and Angelus all in the same villain roster was just too much. It came off as you raiding through the wiki for a handful of memorable bad guys, from three different seasons.
There was little or no build up and there wasn't much development. Also the" Making it a dream" while original didn't have very much tension.
You could argue this wasn't even a crossover, but a 'fusion'. Just don't get me started on that other wise we'll be here all week. Putting one character into another show is a crossover, changing a character from one series into one from another is fusion

Ahh enough of me showing off.
Pop up:-
"...you are the 100,000 visitor to this website..."

Me:-
"I am not a number, I am a free... Car?"

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 am

Ah, right. Okay, that's me taught: don't over-egg the pudding. You're right about me raiding the wikis. Okay, moving on...
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 am

I always liked the TV show 'Almost Live' and their comedy skits 'Legend of Billy Quan'. The crossover was Bruce Lee with the Three Stooges. Brilliant!
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

Return to “Fan Fiction”