Am I Not Your Son?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Am I Not Your Son?

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:24 pm

So Shireling and I got talking... this is the result: Am I Not Your Son?

It's those loose ends... what happened when Tauriel attempted to bury Kili? What happened when Legolas first met Aragorn? How did Legolas get reconciled with his father so that he became his messenger for FoTR? How did these guys deal with all of the emotional baggage?
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Am I Not Your Son?

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:57 am

OOOOOO, Candy! Very nice beginning :) ! And I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for not liking her - even a little. I've got to say that what I really appreciate from The Hobbit films, is that I have all these wonderful actors voices in my head to recite your dialogue.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:14 am

Wonderful! I enjoyed reading, and look forward to more. :)
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Thank you both. Okay, a trip to Rivendell (fluff and hurt/comfort to follow) is due so Legolas can let us inside his head as he pours out his troubles to his foster father.

It'll get a bit fanon-y as the Twins tend to be cast as kinda-sorta half-Elvish Fred and George Weasley and I want to make it make sense. They can't spend all their time being grim and mysterious. I'll have them let their hair down a bit around people they know as and when circumstances permit. Don't worry, I'll keep the story on the angsty straight and narrow, I just need a little comic relief from time to time to intensify the drama.

Fanon!Elrond tends to be melancholy but affectionate and empathetic due to his troubled past, and to be honest, I see him that way too.

Fanon!Celebrían tends to be passionate and motherly, and the couple is generally portrayed as being deeply in love. Again, I rather like that but she's Galadriel and Celeborn's daughter. I want to show that in a way that's as canonical as possible, but to be honest I mostly have fanon to work with. At this time, of course, she has been away for about 500 years but her memory is preserved at Rivendell by all who loved her.

I could info-dump Legolas and Thranduil's relationship issues but it's actually more fun to drip the information slowly into the narrative itself. Needless to say, it's all very complicated and even they are not sure how they really feel about it all.

I'd better get on with it.

Edit: here be dragons. And a young Aragorn Strider.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:32 pm

This is sooooo good, Candy :) . To me, it reads like Tolkien, it really does! It's been too long without good fanfics in here.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Aw, thanks, Shireling. Here's chapter 4. Warning: Tauriel is as prone to fantasizing as we humans are. It's not particularly graphic, but still...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Oh, that was sweet :) . That's the way to picture it, Candy - always leave 'em wantin' more!

Who is that, threatening Legolas? *shiver*

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Heh! I'm evil, I know...

I'll hop into the other threads and see what's going on.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:30 am

Okay, sorry for keeping you waiting, here's chapter 5.

Spoiler alert: I've worked in the Dwarves at Rivendell special extended edition scene.

Leggy spills... a bit. He doesn't like to give too much away.

Strider opens up a little, shedding some light on Thranduil's motives for sending Legolas his way.

More to follow. This stuff pretty much writes itself when you've got a decent thread to follow.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Tauriel finally catches up with Legolas, Strider, and the twins. She's got some 'splaining to do... Chapter 6.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 pm

So Tauriel and Legolas are having a heart-to-heart when uninvited guests turn up... Shapes In The Mist.

How am I doing?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:03 am

Chapter 8: An Unexpected Party. In which Tauriel and her companions meet some of the characters left out of LOTR and The Hobbit.

Excuse the fanon; I don't mind a bit of hurt/comfort as long as it is somewhat realistic. I've taken the Twins as class clowns route a bit (but not too much) because their canonical dourness is boring, to be honest. I work with a young lad who's cocky and a bit full of himself so it's not unreasonable to imagine a young Aragorn needing to be taken down a peg or two now and again. It also helps to break up tension or create a false sense of security while I'm setting up a cliff-hanger.

I'm really trying to avoid making Tauriel a Mary Sue or a canon character's love interest, the girl he gets as a Great Reward For Being Very Brave. She's tagging along at the moment and doesn't really fit in. I'm struggling to find a place for her in the story even though her alienation IS the story. Hopefully, she's coming across as a sympathetic character not because she's had some bad things happen to her (I hate manufactured pity!) but because she is likeable and easy to relate to.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:43 am

Okay! Back to the beginning! :)

Return to “Fan Fiction”