Leander or Squiggly Things, Nerves

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Leander or Squiggly Things, Nerves

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Here is a something that I wrote a little while ago. Looking back some of it is awkward or may not make sense, but I still rather like it. Thoughts? Criticism? Ect?
----------

Tubes. Everything is tubes. Leander is good at tubes. Knows how to manipulate them, you might say. Or you might not say that, especially if you don’t know Leander, which means you are like most people.
Busses are tubes, in a way. Tubes packed with people, sort of like veins packed with blood cells. Squiggly things, veins. Squiggly things, bus routes. Sometimes they need straightening out. Usually, in fact.
Leander isn’t currently worrying about whether the route needs straightening. He sees Strenna board the bus and head for the back. She is an acquaintance. One of those acquaintances he wishes he could know better. He’s even willing to like the squigglyness of this route. Makes it longer, see.
Leander doesn’t like most people. People are too squiggly. Not only physically but mentally and socially. This is not what bothers Leander. What bothers Leander is that he knows how to straighten them out but they just don't want to know. Oh yes, they ask, but they don’t want an answer that works.
Strenna has a different kind of squiggly though. Leander approves of her squiggly. There is a sort of zen to it. Leander had always thought zen was about unsquiggling things but when he looks at Strenna he thinks maybe zen is being okay with one’s squiggly.
Leander stops thinking about squiggly things and more about base human instincts. There are very few people on the bus and Strenna looks like she is headed home for the day.
Leander quiets the nerves having a dance party in his stomach. They should not be listened to. They only contribute to the squiggly. The tubes that make up the human body are terribly squiggly, don’t you know. Thankfully, Leander knows how to manipulate them (well not knows, he isn’t an expert, he more feels).
He straightens out and aligns his molecules and spins up into the post beside his seat. Moving though the metal, he arrives one row closer to Strenna, who pretends not to notice. She crosses her legs in a great jingling of chains. Leander is always impressed by those pants. He thinks they would be a liability. Strenna takes off her sunglasses.
Leander’s next move is the accordion part of the bus. It’s squiggly enough to be a challenge. Leander’s structure becomes long and thin and he winds his way through the folds. Strenna still does not acknowledge that she has seen Leander, but she twirls her hair up into a makeshift bun, straightens out her top, and moves a seat forward from the very back.
This time Leander moves through the lights and lands in the seat behind Strenna. The breeze from his landing causes a renegade purple curl to brush Strenna’s neck. He wasn’t careful enough. Things might get squiggly. Strenna turns around. Time for improvisation.
“So, what are you doing tonight?”
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

ashbow
Crimebuster

Re: Leander or Squiggly Things, Nerves

Postby ashbow » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I liked it :)
I can see Leander being all orderly and methodical...calm and linear.
That all changes when his heart falls for an unorthodox and random...over-accessorized and squiggly woman!

The heart can do that to you...It can make you overlook or ignore things in people which you wouldn't tolerate if your brain was allowed the determining vote.

I wonder if Leander will ask Strenna out for spaghetti!

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Re: Leander or Squiggly Things, Nerves

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks :) The heart definitely can do that to you, and that's one of the odd things about Strenna and Leander. But i think for now spaghetti might be way too squiggly for Leander, he needs baby steps :P

I'm sorta wondering if i'll do more with these two. This sort of crawled out of my head all at once while wandering around campus one night. Strenna does feature in one of my novels as a bit part, but the contrast between her and Leander is fun to write.
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

Return to “Original Fiction”