A1's Short Stories

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Re: A1's Short Stories

Postby Arwen#1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:43 am

I tried that once, it was a total flop. My best work is when I listen to music that relates to what I'm writing and just go.

On to the story:

April always reminds me of him. When the flowers are first in bloom and the birds start singing again, I'll look up into the blue sky and see those white, fluffy clouds and I'll think of him.

It was a warm day in April that I met him, completely by accident. I was walking him from the market, he was going to get his horse shoe'd. Normally I took the path through the woods, avoiding people, but that day was so nice I wanted to enjoy it and going through the woods would shorten my walk by a few minutes. Daydreaming about the cake I was going to bake that night, I walked right into him.
"Oh, Excuse me," I muttered as strong hands steadied me.
A deep chuckled caused me to look up into a pair of ocean blue eyes.
"In a hurry, ma'am?" He asked, tipping his hat at me.
I was startled by the blush I felt creeping into my cheeks.
"Just not paying attention," I answered timidly.
He laughed again and my heart leapt at the sound.
"I'm Emma," I blurted out.
He tipped his head sideways, "Joshua's my name, but most call my Josh."
"Well nice to meet you Josh, good day," I answered, looking pointedly at the hands he'd lain on my shoulders.
He let go and smiled, "Good day Emma, I hope to see you soon."
I shook my head, I knew everyone in town and I knew Josh was not from around here. The chances of me seeing him again were slim.

And yet I did see him again. In the market, at the general store, once when I had to stop at the blacksmith's. He'd become a permenant fixture around town, always in my line of sight. Then I started seeing him at my house, eating meals at my table, asking me for permission to court with him. Finally I relented.

He took me on picnics, horseback rides, taught me how to shoot his gun, and on Sunday's we'd just walk around town after church. Soon everyone in town was talking about us, people I didn't even talk to would stop and ask me about how 'my man' was or if I could ask him to fix something for them. I always smiled and agreed to relay the message.

Then he proposed and how could I say no to this perfect man with eyes the color of the sea and hair the color of wheat? The day before our wedding a fire swept the town. I sat huddled in the river for hours with most of the town as the fire blazed out of control.

The men rushed with buckets, trying to stop the fire. The hours passed and I felt, alternating, like I was freezing and like I was on fire. Finally the blaze died down and we crawled, shivering and mostly shrivelled, out of the river. Men took their women in their arms, children clinged to their mothers, and I searched each face for Josh.
"Ma'am," A voice came from behind me.
I turned to see Ben, a coworker of Josh's, standing, hat in hand.
"No," I whispered, tears in my eyes.
"I'm sorry Emma, there was nothing we could do. There was a child in one of the houses and, you know Josh, he had to save it. The rest of us felt it would be too late, but Josh - Josh thought differently."
"Is the child alright?" I asked, feeling detached.
"Yes ma'am."
"But Josh didn't make it?"
"No ma'am."
I nodded, then my world went black.

Four months, Four glorious months with him. Then he breezed out of my life as quickly and easily as he breezed in. I look up at the April blue sky - and wonder if Josh was there somewhere, looking down at me.
"I miss you," I whisper, laying flowers on his grave.
My husband takes my hand in his. It's been five years and Ben's been wonderfully paitent with me. Maybe I'll find happiness with him.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 am

Awwwww! :( . So moving :) !

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Ah...! Great heartbreak story, A1!
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 am

Okay, this isn't a story (sorry :( having a tough time thinking of something short to write. ) but it's the blurb about the story I'm working on.

When Miranda meets Natan for the first time sparks fly. Flashing back centuries she realizes she knew Natan before, in a past life. Determined to find out the truth of their relationship they set out on a quest of epic proportion. Follow them as they face war, betrayal, and secrets that will shock them to their core and change everything they've ever believed to be true.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 am

Oh, I like it already.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 am

Looking back I should have known the truth the moment I laid eyes on him, but then I was never really that bright of a girl. Even so, with eyes that blue and hair like his- how could I have mistaken him for anyone else? But I did.
Simon has haunted me in one form or another for as long as I could remember. In my dreams, in my thoughts - it was inevitable that some day he would take a human form in which to torture me. I just never thought he would come in a form like this.
The first time I met John I wanted to know more about him. He was different a mystery wrapped in man's body. Most men you could figure out in a few minutes, but not John. He was interesting and entertaining. He kept you guessing.
My mission became to get to know John, to understand him. I never thought that it would take this to complete that process.John soon became a constant fixture in my life. We went from friends to dating in a few short weeks and were constantly together.
I thought I was in love. I should have known better.
The fights started about two years into our relationship. It started out as the typical "you must be cheating- I don't trust you" fights any couple goes through. Then they got weirder. He started accusing me of talking to someone I didn't even know and of caring for a man who's name I had never heard before.
Then came the day he put me in the hospital. Two broken ribs, one broken wrist, and a black eye. I told the nurse I had fallen off a horse. Even though anyone could tell you I had never rode a horse before in my life.
Now here I am, laying on a table - strapped to it really- while he holds a knife above my head and I ponder where things went wrong.
"Who are you?"
"But my dear, don't you know? I'm Simon."

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't want to die, but I made a promise. Now it's time to fulfill it.

On my twenty fourth birthday I sat in my shower wondering how I could save the man I loved from eternal damnation. He was young and arrogant - vain to a fault. He was also sweet and caring and loyal to a fault. He showed me who I really was and in returned refused to let me mess up my relationship to be with him. He sat and watched every day as the two women he loved married others, loved others, had children with other men. Never did he complain.

How could I save him? I knew what the Fates wanted. They wanted an apology. One heartfelt and full of agony of the suffering he was feeling caused by their doing. I also knew he was too proud to bend a knee to them.

On my twenty fourth birthday I called the Fates to me, not something done easily as they view themselves as Gods. In their own right they might be, but to a girl like me they're just a bunch of whining women stuck in the past.

What does the mortal one want?

Even now, as I lie here on my deathbed, gripping tightly to the hand of the man I love, I can hear their voices like it was yesterday.

I want you to stop this nonsense. Let Roland go.

The eldest laughed, a deep chuckle that chilled me to the core.

You know we can't do that. Not until he sees the errors of his ways and changes. Not until he bends knee before us and apologies for what he did to my sister.

I looked at the youngest and wasn't surprised to see a shock of red hair. Of course, Roland had a weakness for red-heads. A giant, easily exploited weakness. I began to wonder how much of what had happened was actually his fault, but I wisely held my peace on that end.

You want something that will never happen and you know it. You can't just keep torturing him until the end of time.

Oh, but that's where you are mistaken. We can, and we will if we must.

I shivered at the hardness in their voices. It was hard to tell which was speaking unless they actually opened their mouths, but I guessed that mostly I was dealing with the eldest, so I addressed myself to her.

You say you only want an apology. You will let him go after that?

They nodded.

Well, I offer myself as a sacrifice then. Let me take the place of his apology.

They shook their heads.

It has to be from him.

That will never happen. You see only the bad in him - that he's proud and arrogant. He's vain and selfish. And yes, he is. I'll be the first to admit his faults, but you must also see what I see - how he can be kind and caring. How loyal he is and that he loves with his whole heart. He's wonderful and sweet. He takes on other people's pain so they won't have to suffer. But he will not bow before you.

And that will be his downfall. If we cannot have his apology then we will have his future.

You'd kill him? For a stupid apology?

Yes.

I shivered and tried to picture what my life would be like without Roland. I couldn't do it.

Let me take his place. The thought came out of me before I could think it through.

What?

Let me take his place. Not now, give me a year. If, by the end of next year, he still hasn't apologized for what he did, then take me instead. In return, though, you have to do something for me.

What?

The next time around, let him - let us - be together. Let us be happy.

Why would you sacrifice yourself for him?

Because, quite simply, I love him. You only see his faults - well, I see the good and the bad and I accept it. He is my everything and I cannot live without him. So take me and let him live.

I held my breath, terrified they would say no.

Alright little mortal. One year, that's all you have. Then your life is ours.

If he doesn't apologize.

You know as well as we do that he won't.

Then in one year, kill me.

Without another word they vanished, leaving me shivering under the hot water.

It's been a year. No apology has issued forth from his mouth. I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth of why I was dying, but I held him close as I took my last breath and whispered.

"See you next time, my love."

Return to “Original Fiction”