A1's Short Stories

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

A1's Short Stories

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 am

In the basement in a house somewhere between here and nowhere is a room. In that room lives a girl who's whole existance is based on the fact that her mother forgot to take birth control and her father couldn't wear condoms.

Her hair is a deep auburn, her eyes are, surprisingly, a violet blue, and her skin is ivory. For sixteen years she's lived in that basement, never leaving except to eat or use the bathroom. She's never been to school, never learned to talk, but she makes herself understood anyway.

She sits there, day in and day out staring at the walls that are pulsing red, the carpet that's almost black, and her books that she's never touched. No one lives in the house with her, she's all alone.

She could wander the house. Look at the pictures on the wall of her parents, watch the giant TV in the living room, but she doesn't. For sixteen years her parents denied her existance, so she denies theirs.

An demented grin spreads across her face as she stares at the wall, mumbling the words 'Not here, not here.' over and over. She remembers her mother screaming at her as a child, reminding her that she didn't exist. Her father telling her she wasn't wanted, she should've been aborted.

Mostly she remembers the look on their faces in their last moments. She remembers taking the butch knife to the and cutting them up. Blood sprayed on her walls and carpet but she didn't care. When the cops showed up a few weeks later they found her sitting on her floor with the knife still in her hand, a body on either side of her.

When they arrested her she was still muttering 'Not here, not here.' And now she sits in a white padded room, not seeing anything but her old room and the blood spray on the wall. She sits in her own world, her arms wrapped around her muttering 'Not here, not here.'
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: A1's Short Stories

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 am

That is chilling, A1, just chilling...*shudder, shudder - need appropriate smilie in this space* Very visual - just realized that I'd been holding my breath till the end!

There's more, I hope? :)

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Down the street from where I live there's a house that's haunted. No one goes near the place, much less in the place. They say the little girl who lives there is out for revenge. Back in the early 1900s there was a small fire in the house - centeralized around where her bedroom was - and she died.
No one knows how the fire started; some say her mother did it, others say it was her father, still others say it was an accident. Some people believe the little girl herself did it. No matter who or why it was done, she haunts the place.

For years the building's been abondoned until some local bought it and fixed it up. Still people wouldn't go near it. Finally he put up a 'For Rent' sign and left it at that. I don't think anyone even looked at the place until last year.

Last year an out-of-town family wanted to move here, but most places were taken. They finally looked at the house. Apparently they liked it because a couple of weeks later they were moving in. Everyone in town called them crazy. Everyone in town warned them about the evil in that place. They didn't listen. They laughed at us.

Then it started.

The little girl was the first one to notice her. Late at night her mother would go into her room and scold her for playing with her toys when she was supposed to be sleeping.
"It's not me," The girl would insist. "It's Maggie."
Finally her mother threw up her hands in exasperation, "Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. There's no one named Maggie, Jade. Now you quit playing with your toys at night or else I'm going to take them away."
The next night she heard it again. Jade was out of bed playing with her toys. Feed up, the mother went into her room and packed the toys up, taking them to her own room.
At midnight she woke to the sound of shuffling. Looking in the corner where she stacked the toys, she saw something that made her scream. Sitting there on the floor was a little girl in a white dress, playing with the toys.
Slowly she turned and looked at the mother, grinning wickedly and holding out a disfigured barbie to her.
The preist was there the next day to 'cast out the demons.' A crowd gathered to watch, whispering, knowing it wouldn't work. We followed him anyway, enjoying his foolishness.
That night the youngest awoke, hearing someone whispering, 'burn them' over and over. She looked and Maggie was standing over her, smiling gently. Jade looked at her in confusion as Maggie held her own out.
Hesitantly Jade took it. And she blacked out.

Later the doctors were never sure what happened, or why Jade had been the only one to escape the fire that ravaged the house - burning everyone in it alive. The town knew though. We knew Maggie had saved Jade, that Maggie would haut that place forever.

No one goes near the ruined house. The owner sold it to some out-of-towners who demolished the house and started building a new one over it. I guess they decided they didn't want to live in a small town after all because they never finished building it.

Or maybe Maggie got to them too.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:21 pm

*shiver*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

lol, if it makes you feel better, I keep freaking myself out with these stories. And I'm the one writing them! Well, I got to go to work, but I'll post more when I get home.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

They are pretty spooky, A1 :) . I've been reading them out loud.

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 am

The day I moved to Riverside was a sunny, cloudless day in the middle of summer. Over all it was a good day for me - the breeze was nice, the radio was playing my favorite song, my apartment was only a couple blocks from my new job, and my brother was with me. We drove the hour from Newport to Riverside in bliss.
I pulled into the drive, feeling weightless and smiled at the gloomy looking house. Nothing could get me down - not the paint that was chipping away, or the diplated porch. The screen door that was hanging hapazardly on it's hinges and the grime on the windows seemed charming to me.
"You sure about this?" My brother asked, looking at me uncertainly.
I smiled, "Of course."
He shook his head and climbed out of the trunk. I opened my door to step out and for a second was chilled to the bone. Up in the corner window I swore I saw a figure standing there, but then Ben called to me and I turned. When I turned back the figure was gone.

That night I laid in bed, tossing and turning. Ben had left a few hours before and now it was just me. I sighed as the wind rattled my windows and shifted. I almost screamed at what I saw before me. A small girl sat in the rocking chair I'd placed by the window. She looked so frightened and I figured that she probably came in to escape the storm, thinking the house was abandoned.
"Mommy?" She asked softly, looking at me. "Mommy I'm scared."
I stood and went to her.
"What's your name sweetheart?" I asked her softly.
"Amy. Amy Rozzalini," She whispered.
"Are you lost?"
She shook her head, "I don't know. I just need my mommy."
I nodded and hugged her, "Do you want to stay here tonight and tomorrow we can find your mommy."
She nodded at me, her eyes large and solemn.
"Okay," I whispered.
She climbed in bed next to me and I turned out the lights. I awoke to find Amy gone, I dressed quickly and rode into town, searching the roads for her as I went.
"Excuse me," I asked the lady at the gas station. "Hi, I'm new in town and I was wondering could you tell me where the Rozzalinis live?"
She looked at me, her eyes wide, "You're the new girl who bought that farm place out on I-88 right?"
I nodded, smiling, "Marie."
"Well, Marie," She said looking down. "You're living with the Rozzalinis."
I looked at her in confusion.
"They died in that house last spring. All of them."
A chill went down my spine.
"Are you sure?"
She looked up definately, "I took care of the youngest- Amy. I know they're dead."

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 am

The door I stand in front of is made of oak. I inhale deeply, afraid of what is on the other side but knowing I must enter. I open the door and step inside and what I see makes my stomache churn.

Max is lying on the floor on his stomache - a strange man standing above him holding what looked like a chess piece with tacks sticking out the end. I pause and looked back down at Max. His back was cut into strips - skin and blood in a checkered pattern across it.

A chess board of flesh. I gag and walk in as the man stabs a pawn into the skin part of the board. Torture in an extreme form. Tears fill my eyes as I watch.

"Why am I here?" I whisper, not meeting anyone's eyes.
"Marry me," The stranger answers as he finishes setting up the 'chess' board.

I look up startled, "What?"
"Marry me and I'll let Max live."
I shiver.
"Don't do it," Max whispers, tears filling his eyes.
"Max-"
I watch as the man jerks a pawn violently out, pulling skin with it, shuddering in horror.
"Shut up Maxie," He says tightly.
"Will you stop this?" I ask, tears rolling down my face.
"Of course my dear, as soon as you say you'll marry me."
I nod, "Then I will."
"Good."

The next day I rush to see Max, to make sure he's alright. Anguish fills me as I open the door to see Max hanging from his closet, his neck broken in a way that cannot be repaired.
Seeing this I pick up the gun he had tossed to the floor - deciding, I suppose, that a gun wasn't enough - and I put it against my head. I shiver and pull the trigger.

That's right. I'm dead.

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Okay, this time I'm trying for something less... spooky and disturbing. Wish me luck.

Christmas is a hellva time of year. Snow covers the roads, schools close, people drive like they don't remember how, and the stores are jammed with people buying presents while the same christmas songs play overhead.

That's what everyone says about Christmas anyway. People have commercialized it so much that most don't even really care for Christmas anymore. Stores stay open and people who should be home with their families are working while their kids wait impaitently to open the presents under the tree.

Mostly what I remember about Christmas is family and friends. Every year we have a potluck for our friends. Everyone brings something - my roommate cooks the ham and potatoes and I make dessert. Granted it's never a big function since there's only 5 or 6 people we invite, but it's nice.

Last year was probably the most memorable. One of our friends had brought liquor, which Rick proceeded to get into. He got wasted, which to us is funny because he doesn't really drink. We knew he was really gone when he looked at us while gaming and said, "Dude, I'm too dumb to believe in fog."

Now normally this would get some weird looks, but that night he had already told us that eighties cartoons were autistic, sex was like D&D, and that our friend Dean would be homeless if he didn't agree with everything Rick said.

That was also the night I passed out Christmas presents. Every year I get the guys a christmas present. Something cheap but something they would like. Dean and Terry usually get shirts, Rick usually gets something Invader Zim or Pokemon related, Greg usually gets something Mario, and Jon gets a book.

Never do I get anything in return and that's the way I like it. People don't understand that about me. Sure, I like things - who doesn't? But mostly I like the looks of excitement people get when they open the presents I get them.

Watching them last year was exciting for me. It was the first year Dean and Jon were with us and I'd put a lot of thought into what to get them, because I was still getting to know them. For Dean I'd gotten a green power ranger t-shirt that I remember him constantly saying he wanted. For Jon I'd given him my copy of the Silmarillion - one with a fold out map that I knew he'd been drooling over since he saw it.

I did good last year. From it Rick had given me a hug (he got an Invader Zim shirt), Greg squished me (he gives bear hugs for Mario shirts), Terry I'd changed up and gotten him a yoshi plushie - which he cuddled with all night. Dean hugged me until I couldn't breathe and, to everyone's surprise, Jon kissed me.

Now I've got to do even better this year!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 am

I really like these, A1 :) . Such neat little packages with no padding needed.

They remind me of the anthology TV shows that used to be around, like Twilight Zone, Night Gallery and Alfred Hitchcock Presents - to be able to tell these five or ten minutes stories is such a gift!

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 am

These are mad stories, A1. Great stuff. Have you thought about publishing them? Use https://www.smashwords.com, it's free.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Aww, thanks guys. These are actually just ones I thought of at the drop of a hat. The one I really want to publish is a novel I've been working on for three years but I can't seem to get passed page seven - I overthink it. If I just sit and write I'm good, but when I start to think about it I overthink things.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:12 pm

It might help to write out a plot/subplots, then an outline, then chapters, then write each chapter out one at a time. You may have to revise this a few times but eventually you'll get work done.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 am

Candy Kane wrote:It might help to write out a plot/subplots, then an outline, then chapters, then write each chapter out one at a time. You may have to revise this a few times but eventually you'll get work done.

All of that helped me get over a bad case of the block.

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 am

:yay: :cheers: I hope it's going well for you. Can't wait to see what A1 posts next.

Return to “Original Fiction”