If Wishes Were Fishes

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

If Wishes Were Fishes

Postby Arwen#1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I grew up in a world of glitz and glamour. My mother worked in an agency for some big film company, never did get the name of the place. My father was some kind of artist - poet, paint, actor - I don’t know, anyways I must have got my imagination from him because I certainly didn’t get it from my mother. I remember the first time I watched Cinderella at age six. For days I wandered around the house in a costume that had been bought for me. Since my mother was a big time agent actors and producers were always giving her things and after she had me they were always giving her things for me. I guess they thought they could win her affection that way and someone had given her exact replicas of each Disney Princess outfit for me. I loved them.
My mother came home one day and demanded to know why I insisted on wearing “those horrible dresses.” I replied by telling her it was because I wished to be a princess like Cinderella. That’s when she informed me that wishes were worthless and only hard work and determination could get me anywhere in life. My father had walked in then and quietly told my mom that it was alright to let me dream, I was only six after all.
I still remember the cold look my mother had given him as she told him that now was a good time to start raising me sensibly and teaching me not to be a dreamer. If he couldn’t help her do that then he could leave. I never saw my father again.
He never forgot me though, every year on my birthday my nurse would sneak me a careworn package with something magical inside. When I was little it was dolls or toys that must have been second hand, when I got older they were books. Always books - Dickens, Bronte, Tolkien I loved them. The only books that I had were the ones he bought me and they were priceless to me. Then on my fifteenth the presents stopped. I didn’t ask, I didn’t have to. My father was gone.

I woke up and glared at my alarm clock announcing my twenty third birthday. I moaned and pulled the blankets back over my head. My mother would be calling any minute to ask if I was going to come into work today or not. I didn’t want to, but I knew she would be disappointed if I didn’t.
“No Bailey worth her salt skips work just because it’s her birthday,” I mouthed at the ceiling as my phone rang.
We had this argument every year and every year she won. Not this year. I was determined to do something for myself.
“Renee, I need you,” My mom whedled.
“Mom, it’s my day. Can’t you find someone else. I don’t even work for the company and my real boss has already given me the day off,” I complained, knowing I sounded like a teenager, but not caring.
“Esrenee Jordan Bailey, No Bailey worth her salt skips work just because it’s her birthday,” My mom scolded as I mouthed the words along with her.
I sighed, “I can’t mom. I already made plans with Jessica.”
“Fine, fine, you’re just like your father. Always chasing after dreams,” My mother scolded. “Speaking of which - how’s your book coming along?”
I glanced guiltily at my novel that I hadn’t touched in weeks.
“Fine,” I lied.
“Okay, I have to go chow darling.”
And she was gone. I looked at my phone surprised, but only slightly. My mom was always on the go and down to earth. She knew when to back down from an argument and when to go for the kill. How she ever let me get the first name Esrenee is still a surprise to me. My father’s mother was Esrenee, but my mother wanted something more practical so they’d settled on Jordan EsRenee Bailey. Somehow, somewhere that got mixed up and the story gets just as mixed up depending on who you ask.

My phone rang again as I was combing out my golden frizz.
“Renee Bailey,” I answered, putting it on speaker.
“You ready yet sleepy head. We have a day ahead of us,” Jess’s voice filtered over the phone.
“Almost,” I replied, glaring at my hair in the mirror. “Be down in ten.”
I shrugged as she hung up and pulled my hair back into a pony tail. It would have to do.
Jess was waiting for me by the elevator bank of the building. The doorman knew Jess by sight and just let her in. Most people knew Jess by sight. Standing at five foot ten with blonde waves that cascaded down to mid-back and big green eyes, most people thought she was a model. And she would’ve been but for one flaw. Jessica hated herself. She told me that one day when I asked why she wasn’t a model. I didn’t understand until she showed me the scars. She’d been in the hospital for a while for trying to kill herself. No agency would take her now.
And that’s exactly how she wanted it.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Re: If Wishes Were Fishes

Postby Arwen#1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Jess took my arm in her own as she steered me to the doors. I waved goodbye to Bob - the doorman. Funny how he only knew me as Ms. Bailey's daughter until Jess came along, now he calls me Essie. He's one of the few I let get away with it because he's just so nice.
"Now, do we want to get our nails done or our hair first?" Jess asked, as she flagged down a taxi. "Oh, wait, spa first then hair and nails."
I looked at her flabbergausted, "I thought we were just going out for a few drinks and shopping."
"Of course silly," She said, patting my hand like a child. "But we have to look our best doing it."
I shook my head and smiled ruefully at her, "For a coffee shop girl, you sure have expensive taste."
She grinned back, "Well it's a good thing I have great looks and lots of money stashed."
Jess worked her weekends at her dad's law firm. I never asked what she did there, but she made good money at it. My mother paid for my apartment, which I was grateful for since I would otherwise either still live with her or live in the seedy part of town.
Watching Jess now I still had no idea why she was friends with me. Even in her dark coat and tennis shoes she looked terrific. I patted my golden frizz self-consciously and allowed her to drag me into the salon.
"Spa?" I asked, confused.
"Skipping it. You made me realize how silly a spa was today. We have so much shopping to do, but first we need to do something about these," She answered, pointing first to my chewed nails, then to the frizzy mess on my head.
"You have such lovely curls, if you would only take the time to nuture it," She insisted, waving over a hairstylist.
I eyed him as he walked up. Gorgeous in the typical way of one trying to make his way into Hollywood - blonde hair, blue eyes, slightly tones. Definately gay. If the highlights in his hair hadn't given him away (and the fact that he works in a beauty shop) then the next words out of his mouth would've.
"Darling," He leaned over and air kissed Jess. "What have you brought me?"
Jess motioned for me to take my hair down and I did, still eyeing the greek god in front of me. Minus the greek of course.
He gasped, "What is this! This mess. You want me to fix this mess?"
Jess smiled her most winning smile at him.
"Nuhuh sister, you know that smile don't work on me." He folded his arms and glared at her.
"Adonis," I almost snorted when she said his name. Definately a screen name. "Please. You know I wouldn't normally bring you something so helpless, but she's desperate and you're the only one I know who can fix it."
I glared at her. Desperate? Me? Okay, so maybe I haven't had a date in a while, but desperate? I thought back to my last date with James. He was a nice guy, a regular who came in and got coffee everyday. It was a nice date, but there was no chemistry.
And he talked about himself the whole time. Ugh! Okay, maybe I was a little desperate.
"Okay, fine, but only because I know no one else could take on a case like this."
I forced a smile at him as he directed me to a chair.
"Now, sit back, close your eyes and let me work my magic."

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:53 pm

When I finally opened my eyes I was shocked. Adonis was a god. My frizz had been tamed to fall in sleek waves down my back and while he was at it, Adonis had added a few lowlights to my hair as well. I looked amazing.
"Now, while we're at it," Jess interrupted my study of myself. "Adonis, please do something about her glasses."
He studied them, his lips pursed, then took them off and broke them!
"Hey," I started.
"You have contacts, yes?" He asked.
"Yes."
"Wear them," It was a command. "You have amazing eyes, but you hide them behind frizz and ugly glasses."
I slipped my contacts in and sighed.
"Now look, you are beautiful," He said, pushing me in the direction of a mirror.
It was true, I looked great. Jess squealed in delight.
"Now we can go shopping," She announced proudly.
I rolled my eyes at her, but smiled anyways. She had a right to be excited, not even my mother has managed to get me to take the mess I call hair, yet she did it in one afternoon. I felt great even.
"Maybe I'll start taking better care of my hair," I told her as we were leaving.
"You really should," She answered, petting it. "Your hair is your best friend and if you abuse it, it'll abuse you."
I raised an eyebrow, but didn't question her. Jess was the beauty expert after all.

Two hours later I was exhausted, Jess had dragged me into almost every store in the mall, insisting on buying me what I felt was a whole new wadrobe. Even new under clothes from Victoria's Secret. Bags were heaped haphazardly into the taxi. I sighed when she finally announced we were going home.
"After all, we've got to get all of this into your apartment, find you something suitable to wear, and drive downtown still."
I looked at her in amazement.
"And what, pray tell, is downtown," I demanded.
She giggled, "You're birthday dinner of course."
I sighed in relief, no more shopping, thank the gods.
"That I can live with."

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:08 pm

The birthday dinner, as it turned out, was actually a surprise party Jess threw together. I was more surprised by the number of people in attendance, most were co-workers, but a few were people from my mother's firm, and the biggest surprise was my mother herself. She hadn't allowed birthday parties after my sweet sixteenth, saying that I was grown up now and birthdays should be a quiet affair.
I was silently blessing Jess's foresight in picking out a gorgeous blue dress that accented my curves and stopped at my knees when she brought out the cake. I glared half-heartedly at the thing, knowing it was going to go straight to my thighs, but also longing for a piece.
"Make a wish," She whispered as they sang happy birthday to me.
I paused for a moment, thinking about what I wanted. I had a job I loved, a place of my own, and a terrific set of friends, but what did I want? Love.
I wish I could find someone to love me.
I blew on the candles quickly and let Jess start cutting the cake. I'd just taken a bite when he walked in.
He was six three with blonde hair and green eyes. I swear he could have been Jess's twin. I grabbed her arm and inclined my head toward him.
"Who is that?" I asked, still mesmerized by him.
She turned, studying him for a moment.
"Gorgeous isn't he?" She asked, grinning.
I looked at her ironically. She could see how gorgeous he was, but couldn't see it in herself? I almost shook my head at her.
Instead I nodded, still staring at him.
"Well, then it's a good thing I do know him," She teased.
"You do?" I asked, turning to her in surprise.
"That my cousin James, he's down for the weekend and I thought I'd invite him to your party," She grinned slyly and winked. "And if you both got lucky because of it, that's just an added bonus."
"James," She yelled, waving him over before I could recover. "Come meet EsRenee."
I blushed, sometimes I hated how much my name sounded like I should belong on a Disney movie.
"Hi," He said, flashing me a million dollar smile.
"Hi," I answered, feeling faint. "You can call me Renee - it's easier to remember."
He laughed, "I'm sure I can remember EsRenee just fine, but Renee it is. Unless there's something else you'd like me to call you."
Did this gorgeous man seriously just hit on me? I wanted to faint - or pinch myself and make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Return to “Original Fiction”