Virtues...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Virtues...

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Dear friends,

Moments after you left, I found the following post from Linda Kavelin-Popov, Co-founder of the Virtues Project. It seems appropriate for all of us as we venture forward in service.

Much love,
Jackie

Virtues Path for a New Year

December 31, 2013

Today I spoke at the funeral of a young man who died suddenly this week, his earthly light snuffed out much too soon. His mother was inconsolable as we all gathered around her and witnessed his burial. Long awaited rain came and it seemed fitting that the heavens wept with us. Death, as always, brings perspective. What is it that really matters? What do we love? What is our purpose? Are we living our fullest lives?

A master was asked, "Where is the path?" He replied, "Keep walking." A new year arrives tonight. Another page. Another chance. A fresh opportunity to decide what is that we plan to do, as poet Mary Oliver asks, "with your one wild and precious life", to discern the truest path.

This year, what Virtue calls to you deeply? One that seeks to be cultivated, to be seeded, nurtured and practiced, in order to bloom in your life at this season? What virtue is so strong, so keenly practiced that it is a comfort, a staff to walk with, a presence that you bring to the ones you love and serve? What needs to be said that hasn’t yet been said? Who needs and craves your appreciation? Tell the truth. Do it now.

What is the Teachable Moment before you? The lesson that keeps coming around, hopeful that you will catch on, get a glimpse of the eternal possibility within you? What virtues do you need in order to embrace it with courage and wholehearted willingness?

What Boundaries do you need to build to protect your physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health? Which of those needs the most tending? What is it you want to ask of the people who love you? If they are incapable or unwilling, then what? How will you restore justice to yourself and others? How will you safeguard your contentment?

How will you Honor the Spirit this year? What spiritual practices, journeys, or wild places call to you? How will you honor the dignity, the soul of every person whose path you cross?

As a Spiritual Companion, first to yourself, what is the deepest longing of your soul? How well do you listen, really listen to those who are grieving, or joyful, or needing someone to be their story-keeper?

This is a meditation that came to me two decades ago for a woman in one of my retreats, one who has since become a sister-friend:

There has always been so much to do and see and be. I am an adventurer. I am ready for the adventure that will carry me to the uncharted waters in my soul. I am willing to discover still waters. To dive deep and true. I cannot stand on the shore any longer. It's now or never! This my life.

May we all dive deep into Truth this new year of 2014. For it is there we find the path we are meant to take. - Linda Kavelin-Popov

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Virtues...

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 am

Stuff will always find a way to humble you :) ...

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Queen: I’m going.
Chief of Staff: But, Your Majesty, the security risks…
Queen: I’m going. I want cake.
Chief of Staff: .....
Queen: .....
Chief of Staff: .....
Queen: I want cake.

Never say no to cake...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:23 am

positivityandpaperstars:

My friend sent me this last time I had a panic attack. “Try to breathe with this.” And it worked. So, sharing this.

Reposted fromTerezisBigDragonDick TerezisBigDragonDick viakoni koni

I just tried it, and it is wonderful!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 am

You've got nobody to blame but yerself, boyo. I'm gonna miss Mays and Hammond more than I'll ever miss you.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Increasingly, I find academic freedom to be the most vital, but also most elusive, element of academic (and para-academic) life. There is no academic freedom, per se; it is not even a *right*. What it is, instead, is a kind of practice that we have to work at (vigilantly) every day (for ourselves and for others), and at the same time, it is also a state of being, a sort of ontological ground without which practically nothing new could ever emerge: one must be free from worry, free from debt, free from hunger, free from predators, free from ill health, free from bullying censure, free from oppression, free from harm, free from grief, and so on, before one can even begin to feel safe enough to express oneself, or even to *work* at all as a thinker and researcher.

- Eileen Joy; “The Connection of Desire to Reality Possesses Revolutionary Force: Going to Harvard”

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 15, 2015 10:11 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 15, 2015 10:12 pm

I will always root for Sully...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 15, 2015 10:31 pm

I was just thinking of my German teacher today. RIP, Frau Jedlicka :) .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat May 16, 2015 9:59 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 pm

ambris-art:

mrkenyon:

voxlunch:

This morning I was working on something, and made an interesting metaphorical observation.
The cutting discs used on this rotary tool are very brittle. You can break them with your fingers. However, mounted on a spindle and spun at thousands of RPM, those same fragile discs can cut through steel.
So the next time you’re feeling weak or useless, consider that you may simply not be getting utilized properly, and that your true potential awaits.

#“Now go out there and spin really fast”

Life advice

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:11 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Return to “Non-Fiction”