Awards

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Awards

Postby shireling » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: Awards

Postby MsBrandybuck » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Checked on a neighbor.
Spent quality time with a child.
Had a meaningful conversation.
Made someone feel important.

All are award-worthy.
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:42 pm

:paperbag: grabbed a toddler about to fall from a grocery cart...

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 am

from shingekinokyojinheaven:

mcry:
there was a monarch butterfly outside with a torn wing and i thought it was dead so i went to pick it up off the ground with a flower but it began to hurriedly clutch onto it trying to drink something. it was totally trembling; it had a gash on it’s body and i knew it was dying but i couldn’t bring myself to kill it, so i googled a monarch’s favourite food and it ended up being mandarins. he literally devoured as much as he could before dying and i buried him outside my window

You’re a good person

Reposted fromthatsridicarus thatsridicarus viacoloredgrayscale coloredgrayscale

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 am

No only does this man save this baby spider from his bunny-masked, screaming daughter, but gives it a fur coat as well :D !

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Captain America On A Not So Stereotypical Mission, from our friends at SikhNet :) .

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/captain-ame ... al-mission

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Reposted fromwaka waka viaFreXxX FreXxX

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Reposted fromsruu sruu viastraycat straycat

And it's Stephen Hawking for the win!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Reposted fromdudeminds dudeminds viaRamme Ramme

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Reposted fromMrsDarkness MrsDarkness viaelisabetta elisabetta

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 pm

So my story starts on what was a normal day taking calls on the front line for a large cable company. The job pays well and for the most part the people I deal with are fairly nice to talk to.

Quite often we'll get calls from seniors (especially in the morning) who have premise equipment issues such as "snow on screen" or "no signal" on their TV sets connected to our digital equipment.

Now my heart does go out to some of these folk because up until recently (past few years) we would supply straight analog cable to many homes (coax direct from wall to TV with scrolling guide). However most cities we service nowadays require our digital equipment to receive channels, and this has caused a lot of frustration with older people who don't know how to operate said equipment (ie. always having your TV set on "video" or "hdmi" to get picture). So often times we get customers who are repeat offenders with long ticket histories of these types of issues.

So anyway, I get a call from an older gentleman who's quite bitter and mean right off the bat (doesn't like that I asked for his address / telephone number to verify the account, hates that he has to speak with a machine before reaching an agent, etc.). I have some experience handling these types of customers, however this call was going to be a little different.

I spent over 45 minutes with this guy (we'll call him Mr. Smith) trying to get his TV set connected to the digital box properly so he could receive a picture. No luck. He was getting clearly frustrated by the whole ordeal and started blaming me for not being able to do my job properly, how I was useless, etc.

Whatever.

Like I said, I've dealt with this before so I tried my best not to take it personally, but eventually I had to ask him if we could book a service tech to the home (a courtesy call) to get his TV working correctly. Unfortunately, our booking calendar was showing an appointment 3 days out. That's when he dropped this on me:

"Don't bother sending a goddamn technician, because I'll be dead by then. I'm 94 and TV is the only thing I have left, are you really going to make me wait for a tech?"

I instantly felt bad. I mean, I've heard every complaint in the book as to why people don't want to wait for a tech but this one kind of got to me. I'm in my mid-20's so honestly I can't even imagine how it must feel to utter those words.

So I spoke with my supervisor, who said they'd see if we could get someone out earlier...but we couldn't promise anything. So I let Mr. Smith know and he was predictably not very happy with my answer.

At that point it almost sounded like he started to cry and went into how he has no family left, and no friends that come visit (this was after I asked if there was anyone in his building that might be able to help). Man. I felt terrible, so I took it upon myself to ask Mr. Smith if I could pay a visit (he lived in a small city over from where I was, not very far to drive).

He was a little shocked I was willing to do this, but sounded thankful I was willing to come out and help him personally.

So I head over, get to the residence and meet him - within 30 seconds I had the cable running again (simple input change) and even brought him a simplified remote for his set top box to avoid this problem in the future.

That's when he started crying. He goes into how he hasn't actually spoken or really interacted with anyone for years. He gave me a hug and told me how thankful he was that I came out and helped him, and told me how sorry he was for being so mean earlier on. I said it was no problem and I was happy to help, and that was it - I left.

3 weeks later, my supervisor comes to my desk and asks me if I could come speak with her for a bit about an account for "Mr. Smith". Turns out, he sent the cable company a letter outlining how thankful he was for helping him with his issue and how it really "made an old man happy again for once in a very long time". The letter was framed and put on our front entrance to retail.

I guess the moral of this story is no matter how nasty someone is to you over the phone, sometimes they're not always a terrible person and just going through a lot. I still think about Mr. Smith occasionally when I get those nasty customers and it makes me feel a little better.

Anyway thanks for reading just thought I'd share how this one call changed my outlook on life :)

— "Don't bother sending a tech, I'll be dead by then" : talesfromtechsupport by guitarsdontdance

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 pm

He appraises us through the paint with a skeptical look, his eyebrow raised and his mouth nearly a smirk—or is that a smile of cynical disappointment? Thomas Howland was a handsome man, with a modern aspect, his arm draped casually over the curved chair back. In the background, a man lashes a team of horses, perhaps in symbolic reference to Howland’s career as a stevedore unloading ships and moving cargo on the Providence wharf.

In this portrait by local stonecutter and artist John Blanchard, the sitter’s inner life rises to the surface. We don’t know exactly when the portrait was made, but it must have been made before Howland, along with his wife and daughter, emigrated to Liberia in 1857.

When Thomas Howland applied for his passport, the Providence Journal reported on the response he received, and the story was picked up by the New York Times, where it ran on October 23, 1857. Howland had applied through a Providence notary, Mr. Martin, who received the following reply: “Mr. Martin must certainly be aware that passports are not issued to persons of African extraction. Such persons are not deemed citizens of the United States.”

This response came in the wake of the Dred Scott decision of March 6, 1857. Howland’s expression is all the more resonant given that he was a citizen with voting rights in his home state of Rhode Island, and was elected warden of Providence’s Third Ward in 1857, the first African American elected official in the city. After Dred Scott, is it any wonder Howland left for Liberia?

The New York Times reported that he was leaving with his wife and daughter, who intended to “engage in teaching” in Liberia, a task for which she had qualified herself in Providence’s public schools. In 1857, the Blanchards left Providence for life in Africa, where he became a sugar manufacturer.

~ Kirsten Hammerstrom, Director of Collections

brought to you by People of Color in European Art History :)

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 pm

willkommen-in-germany:

Spaghettieis is a German icecream made to look like a plate of spaghetti. It was created by Dario Fontanella in the late 1960s in Mannheim. In the dish, vanilla ice cream is extruded through a modified Spätzle press or potato ricer, giving it the appearance of spaghetti. It is then placed over whipped cream and topped with strawberry sauce (to simulate tomato sauce) and either coconut flakes, grated almonds, or white chocolate shavings to represent the parmesan cheese.

Although it is not well known outside the German-speaking world, it can be found at some gelaterias and specialty ice cream parlors, at events, and at some hotels and restaurants around the world. In Germany, most Eiscafes (ice cream palors) are run by Italian immigrants and this has a long history now - so while many other countries are just catching up on “gelato”, we’ve eaten it for generations. :) So if you’re in Germany, find an Eiscafe - they’re everywhere - and try some of the specialty flavors. It’s really, really good icecream.

Reposted fromflamiekitten flamiekitten viastraycat straycat

I really thought it was pasta :/ .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Image Image Image Image

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Hui Muslim female Imam Yonghua Zheng, far left, talks
with religious students outside the main Qingzhenshang
Mosque on July 11, 2014 in Sangpo, Henan Province, China.

As part of a tradition dating back to the late 19th century
and unique to China's 10 million Hui Muslims, Zheng is one
of hundreds of female Imams leading all female
congregations in the women's only mosques of northwest China.

Kevin Frayer / Getty Images

Return to “Non-Fiction”