Awards

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Awards

Postby shireling » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:36 pm

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:59 pm

I've never wanted to own any wild animal as a pet, but I can definitely see getting one of these to cuddle! You don't need a license, a zoning permit, special chow, an exotic vet, inescapable housing, or the capacity for extreme pooper scooping to love these! Just a lap, and a hand or two for petting :D .

Incredibly Realistic Baby Animal Toys By Lee Cross

http://www.boredpanda.com/realistic-plu ... creations/

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Our Dangerous Politics of Resentment

If you squint your eyes just right, the news can look like a procession of angry faces grimacing with furious indignation. This is the streaming video of our politics of resentment, the playing out of carefully cultivated and nurtured feelings of being wronged or treated unfairly.

Yes, many of these feelings of being “wronged” or “treated unfairly” are deliberately and cynically created. They are not just the normal human response to being genuinely wronged. Instead, they are manufactured, constructed on lies and distortions to generate political power.

The kind of lies that can stoke this type of resentment are that white people have been wronged when other races are treated equally, that straight men are wronged when gender inclusivity is the law (and practice) of the land, that certain Christians are somehow diminished in their freedom to practice their faith when others have the same religious freedom, that a nation of immigrants is ironically weakened by immigrants, and that government or vague “elites” are to blame for my troubles.

This politically cultivated resentment is different and infinitely more dangerous than a genuine response to being wronged precisely because it is based on untruths and it can be much more resistant to the religious and psychological practices that can help reduce resentment at actual wrong and transform it toward healing.

This type of manufactured resentment is, frankly, the basis of the “Trumpism” that has been given enormous power through the presidential campaign of Donald Trump. Trump’s supporters are encouraged to feel resentful when others get equal rights, and they are made to feel this equality for others somehow weakens them. The dangers of this position have been made clear by a wide range of religious leaders, including Christian leaders who, in a theologically substantive statement that can be found at calledtoresist.org, passionately condemned Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump, calling his campaign message “contrary to our Christian values” and condemning his bombastic rhetoric as “racist, bigoted, and hateful.” The statement is specific about Trump’s words and policy advocacy that demean immigrants, Muslims, women, people of color and the disabled.

But to see how far this kind of politics of resentment has penetrated into our politics, there is some worrisome evidence on the left as well. The Sanders campaign, in addition to drawing attention to the gross economic injustices of the US, has been accused of trading on the idea of “unfairness” and accusations of a rigged political system when things don’t go the way some supporters want, targeting ‘party elites’. At the recent Nevada state convention when Democratic Chairwoman Roberta Lange declined to make a rule change that would have benefitted Bernie Sanders, Sanders supporters yelled, threw things and then flooded Lange with death threats and personalized insults.

Instead of roundly condemning the violence and threats, Sen. Bernie Sanders instead struck back Tuesday with a statement that dismissed complaints from Nevada Democrats as “nonsense” and asserted that his backers were not being treated with “fairness and respect.”

No. That’s not the only issue here, Sen. Sanders. I will disclose that I have been a Sanders supporter and caucused for him in my state. I have had great hopes of the movement-building language of the Sanders campaign as a way to engage in long-term change in our social and political life. But death threats and personalized harassment are never okay and it is no way to build a transformational movement.

It is the same old, same old.

The politics of resentment will never transform this society toward greater justice and peace. Unresolved resentment harms and can even destroy people and societies.

In the original work on Just Peace first articulated by a group of 23 Christian religious leaders and scholars changed how we approach peacemaking because it focused on actual practices that have been historically proven to reduce conflict and to achieve more peace with justice. I was part of that original group of 23 and yet I opposed the practice “Acknowledge Responsibility for Conflict and Injustice and Seek Repentance and Forgiveness.”

I opposed that practice on forgiveness precisely because in my work with battered women I knew they get told over and over to ‘forgive and forget’ and go back to their abusers without a call for the abuser to confess their wrongdoing and stop the battering.

But those who articulated this practice dove deeply into what forgiveness really means and how resentment can be overcome. It involves the “cultivation of empathy,” the “forbearance from revenge,” and the capacity to at least admit the possibility that there could be “future reconciliation.” Thirty Jewish, Christian and Muslim scholars and religious leaders have also attested to how this work of acknowledgement of responsibility for conflict and injustice and the pursuit of repentance and forgiveness is present in each of their traditions.

But what about “manufactured resentment”? I have said it is resistant to these historic practices, but I have not said it is impossible to transform them.

Speaking for myself, I know if I nurture my own anger and resentment in response to the anger and resentment of those with whom I vehemently disagree, I only add to the general mess of the politics of resentment. I personally try to engage the Just Peace practice of compassionate connection.

But, I want to raise a strong caution here. Each one of us stands in a different relationship to the construct of power and privilege in this society, and therefore each one of us has to decide when and even if to engage, and how. As Alice Walker notes in her definition of Womanist that sometimes “periodically” it is necessary to be a separatist “for health.” Do not mistake engaging our times for liberal “choice,” the ability to come and go in the struggle as you see fit.

Those who are on the receiving end of this manufactured resentment have no options on “being in the struggle” as it comes to their doors (and sometimes even breaks down their doors without warrants). White liberals say they ‘don’t see race,’ but as I wrote in a previous Huffington Post piece, it doesn’t matter. “Race sees you.” Homophobia sees you. Classism sees you. Nativism sees you. And so forth. It is more a matter of strategic postures that people adopt that can and must vary, even vary for the same person at different times even as a matter of sheer survival.

My strategic posture relative to compassionate connection is to try to use my own race, gender, class and faith privilege to try to get through the barriers being thrown up by manufactured resentment and get some face time, some voice time, some faith time with those on the other side of this wall being thrown up in our society.

I think a very good example of this kind of work is demonstrated by Anna Merlan in her article for Jezebel We Called Up Bernie Fans to Who Threatened Nevada Dem State Chair and Asked Them to Explain Themselves. The few she was able to reach had varied responses, from embarrassment to being glad they had “drawn attention” to what they perceived as unfairness to frustration, disaffection and loneliness. I was impressed with this article, because the author tried to get to the feelings and not the ideology of those who made the threats.

What did those feel who had been contacted? Did some personal contact inspire empathy? Perhaps.

There were thousands of replies to this article that were “approved” some of which I read. Some were profane, angry or merely defensive, though some also approving. By implication others were “not approved.” Even so, the comments section begins “Warning: These may contain graphic material.”

This is a microcosm of the bitter fact that trying to listen and learn and reach out can be met with anger and rejection. But not always. Not always.

We say in the peace movement, “When you mirror your enemy, you become your enemy.”

- Rev. Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite
Professor of Theology, Chicago Theological Seminary
http://www.twitter.com/sbthistle

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Abdul Sattar Edhi, Known As 'Pakistan's Mother Teresa,' Dies At 88

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... dies-at-88

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 am

Best thing in the world :) - like a bunny and an octopus had a baby :) . Enjoy

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:47 pm

(St. Martin's Gate; Regarding the Immigrants among the King's subjects)

Sir Thomas More:

...Then what a rough and riotous charge have you,
To lead those that the dual cannot rule?—
Good masters, hear me speak...

...Look, what you do offend you cry upon,
That is, the peace. Not one of you here present,
Had there such fellows lived when you were babes,
That could have topped the peace, as now you would,
The peace wherein you have till now grown up
Had been ta’en from you, and the bloody times
Could not have brought you to the state of men.
Alas, poor things, what is it you have got,
Although we grant you get the thing you seek?...

...Grant them removed, and grant that this your noise
Hath chid down all the majesty of England;
Imagine that you see the wretched strangers,
Their babies at their backs and their poor luggage,
Plodding tooth ports and costs for transportation,
And that you sit as kings in your desires,
Authority quite silent by your brawl,
And you in ruff of your opinions clothed;
What had you got? I’ll tell you. You had taught
How insolence and strong hand should prevail,
How order should be quelled; and by this pattern
Not one of you should live an aged man,
For other ruffians, as their fancies wrought,
With self same hand, self reasons, and self right,
Would shark on you, and men like ravenous fishes
Would feed on one another...

...Let me set up before your thoughts, good friends,
On supposition; which if you will mark,
You shall perceive how horrible a shape
Your innovation bears. First, ’tis a sin
Which oft the apostle did forewarn us of,
Urging obedience to authority;
And ’twere no error, if I told you all,
You were in arms against your God himself...

...Nay, certainly you are;
For to the king God hath his office lent
Of dread, of justice, power and command,
Hath bid him rule, and willed you to obey;
And, to add ampler majesty to this,
He hath not only lent the king his figure,
His throne and sword, but given him his own name,
Calls him a god on earth. What do you, then,
Rising ’gainst him that God himself installs,
But rise against God? What do you to your souls
In doing this? O, desperate as you are,
Wash your foul minds with tears, and those same hands,
That you like rebels lift against the peace,
Lift up for peace, and your unreverent knees,
Make them your feet to kneel to be forgiven!
Tell me but this. What rebel captain,
As mutinies are incident, by his name
Can still the rout? Who will obey a traitor?
Or how can well that proclamation sound,
When there is no addition but a rebel
To qualify a rebel? You’ll put down strangers,
Kill them, cut their throats, possess their houses,
And lead the majesty of law in line,
To slip him like a hound. Say now the king
(As he is clement, if th’ offender mourn)
Should so much come to short of your great trespass
As but to banish you, whether would you go?
What country, by the nature of your error,
Should give you harbor? Go you to France or Flanders,
To any German province, to Spain or Portugal,
Nay, any where that not adheres to England,—
Why, you must needs be strangers. Would you be pleased
To find a nation of such barbarous temper,
That, breaking out in hideous violence,
Would not afford you an abode on earth,
Whet their detested knives against your throats,
Spurn you like dogs, and like as if that God
Owed not nor made not you, nor that the claimants
Were not all appropriate to your comforts,
But chartered unto them, what would you think
To be thus used? This is the strangers’ case;
And this your mountanish inhumanity... - Sir Thomas More, Act 2, Scene 4

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:55 am

She is just so cute! Look at that face! Only her son George had the power to resist the charms of the Prime Minister!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Upton Park ‘Racist’ Assault Sees Woman Chase Attacker Down Platform After Passenger Punched

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/u ... d0299007c1?

That lady didn't hesitate! She was up and after that * in a flash! Glad he was caught :D !

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:30 pm

estrangedlestrange:

Every time Trump says that “nobody” has more respect for women than he does, I can’t help but agree with him. He is right.

The Greek hero, Odysseus - also known as Nobody to the cyclopes Polyphemus - who traveled through dangerous waters and struggled for ten years to return to his wife, does indeed have more respect for women than Trump does.

(via flange5)

Wins the Internet for Categories of Sheer Cleverness & Brilliance

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 pm

70-Year-Old Berlin Grandma Spray-Paints Hearts Over Swastikas

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gra ... ddfd8ebf39

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:52 am

The Vatican Bureaucracy Is Resisting Reforms And Pope Francis Is Not Happy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pop ... 5864857030

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 am

professorspork:

#this single photo here validates the existence of the selfie stick I SWEAR TO GOD
@doodbog

(Source: memewhore, via harkerling)
- fyrichardiii

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:50 pm

luna-intheforest:

This picture is from the Elf Fantasy Fair.
I am laughing so hard at the Nazgul with a dog xD...

(via flange5)

:lmao:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Barbara Scott Langston Bell

I took this from Rachel Hannah Fendrich. She put it so nicely what many Americans have been concerned about with this new political climate.

One more political rant, though, to keep you satisfied for the time being. I've been asked, recently, why I don't just "get over it?" "What rights are you concerned about losing?" "Why don't you just accept it and move on?"
I do accept that Trump is president and his administration is what it is. Fine. Whatever. I have since November 9th.

But.

I WILL NOT accept losing rights to my own body, ranging from my access to birth control to my right to have an abortion, which was guaranteed to me by the Supreme Court over 40 years ago.

I WILL NOT accept that I may not be able to obtain health insurance due to a pre-existing condition that I was born with.

I WILL NOT accept anti-Semitism as being the norm and accepted in society, even though, based on recent personal experiences, that seems to already be the case.

I WILL NOT accept the decisions of an EPA leader who has sworn to absolve the EPA. IT'S THERE FOR A REASON.

I WILL NOT accept the actions of a Secretary of Education who has proven in her own testimony to be completely incompetent.

I WILL NOT accept a government so rooted in hatred and fear that they decide which refugees to accept or not accept based on their religious beliefs due to the actions of less than a hundred people over the past 16 years, despite the fact that our Constitution guarantees freedom of religion.

I WILL NOT accept that the government can fire someone for taking a stand against the president due to his unconstitutionality.

I WILL NOT accept a government that forces governmental scientific agencies to hide their findings, forcing them to create rogue social media accounts. I WILL NOT accept a government that dismisses sound scientific findings as "un-true" and refuses to take those findings into consideration in those policies.

I WILL NOT accept the government taking the advice of a Chief Strategist who wants me and my people in a gas chamber.

I WILL NOT accept the actions of a man who's main procedure as governor was to take away the rights of his state's LGBTQIA citizens despite the devastating effect those actions had on his state's economy.

I WILL NOT accept a Secretary of the Interior who will be tasked with protecting endangered species but supports the slaughter of those species and the destruction of the Species Protection Act and Endangered Species Act (and whose Christmas card this year showed him with a dead, hunted endangered wolf. I mean, seriously?)

I WILL NOT stay silent while our president threatens our diplomatic relations with allies, enemies, and bordering countries due to his bragging, his rambling, and his out of control Twitter feed.

I WILL NOT accept a government that shamelessly attempts to silence the media and shamelessly lies to its constituents, thinking we're stupid enough to believe its "alternative facts."

You want to know which rights I'm worried about losing? We've all already lost access to our right to governmental transparency, freedom of press, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, the right to a clean, safe planet, the right to scientific inquiry and education. We're at risk of losing our right to our own body, our right to affordable medical care, the right to employment regardless of our sexual orientation. If you can't see that, I feel sorry for you, but I can't help you. What I can do is stay educated, contact my representatives, protest, rebel, revolt. But I can assure you that the one thing I WILL NOT do is "get over it."

I was asked what I was afraid of, the day after the election. And my fears were poohed away (I later got a nice email apologizing for said poohing.) But this is the best, most complete statement I've come across to date.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:47 pm

"My cousin Helen, who is in her 90s now, was in the Warsaw ghetto during World War II. She and a bunch of the girls in the ghetto had to do sewing each day. And if you were found with a book, it was an automatic death penalty. She had gotten hold of a copy of ‘Gone With the Wind’, and she would take three or four hours out of her sleeping time each night to read. And then, during the hour or so when they were sewing the next day, she would tell them all the story. These girls were risking certain death for a story. And when she told me that story herself, it actually made what I do feel more important. Because giving people stories is not a luxury. It’s actually one of the things that you live and die for."
— Neil Gaiman (via oiseauperdu)

(Source: lupanthropy, via flange5)

Return to “Non-Fiction”