Pets...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Pets...

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

...just saw this in FYRichardIII, a tumblr I've been following since the early days of Boney Dickon. Included are some replies...

my little old kitty is in the hospital tonight and for the next couple of nights getting some last-ditch treatments to try to decelerate this suddenly acute kidney disease that pretty much knocked him flat today.

he’d been losing weight gradually for a while, but was otherwise just acting like a geriatric kitty (he’s 14) and he started looking worse last week, though he was still able to be a nuisance about stealing people food, was still demanding of pets, and still had the energy to get into battles with the rotund orange boy.

so I came from work today and he was wobbling around, was cold to the touch and couldn’t get comfortable. we got him in to our vet within the hour, who took one look at him and got really worried. he thought seti (lil kitty) might actually be septic also because his white blood cell count was FREAKISHLY high.

he gave us the euthanasia talk while I was cuddling the little boy, who they’d wrapped up in a towel with a hot water bottle to keep him warm. so it was basically either put him to sleep right there or do this aggressive iv fluids and antibiotics treatment for three days straight that *might* help him bounce back (but more likely will not), and if it does help might get him another couple months at the most.

anyway, he might not make it through the night, they told us, but he’s definitely more comfortable there than he would be here. the husband and I checked on him when they got him set up. he has lots of floofy blankets with his own nice heating pad, and while he looked pretty pitiful with his tubes taped into his leg, he still at least had enough spirit to give some irritated meows over the whole thing.

i’ve had him since he was a tiny baby kitten and he’s been a constant in my life for the last 14 years and has been through a lot with me. so i’m, uh, kind of a wreck over this.

maybe send him some happy thoughts if you’re inclined or something? also to the few round these parts who’ve had the pleasure of meeting him, he says he’s really sorry for all those times that he stole tampons from your purses to use as toys (he likes the crinkly sound) and is also sorry for creeping on you in the bathroom

Tags: sick kitty personal...

take-me-to-your-lieder said: I hope your old boy pulls through. Having a sick kitty can be tough; I was there a few months ago. Best of luck...

theotherodinson said: I’m so sorry. I’m going through kitty illness with my own old girl (16) right now. It’s very difficult to know what’s the right thing to do, and yeah, it does wreck you. All the best thoughts for you and your fluffy bby...

lepetiterik said: Best wishes for your sick kitty!...

professional-widow said: oh no, I’m so sorry. ::hugs:: sending good vibes your kitty’s way...

tiny-loki said: i’m so sorry to hear this. kitties are the best of friends, even when they are jerks. i’m glad you’re able to keep him safe and comfortable. good luck and best wishes to you all.

inkandcayenne said: *hugs* I am so, so sorry. We went through the exact same thing with our last kitty (also kidney disease). I’ll be thinking of you guys.

theamazingcat reblogged this from fuckyeahrichardiii and added:
I’m super sorry, take comfort in the fact you gave your Kitty a good life, surrounded by love and affections, with the comforts of a warm house and bed, and plenty of food for it too eat and water to drink. Many cats in the wild aren’t given these comforts. He probably feels like it was the luckiest cat in the world to be in your home...

scribblesincrayon said: Oh no. All our best thoughts to poor sick kitty. And to you. *hugs*

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Pets...

Postby shireling » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 pm

followup from fyrichard iii about Seti Kitty:

Thanks so much for the kind messages last week, guys. The little boy passed away on Thursday, and I’ve been an on-and-off wreck since then. The worst part of it was that he rallied after one night in the hospital and did a complete 180, to the point that when we visited him that day he was standing up and doing his peeping/meowing noise, and started purring a little when he got his chin scratches. But the next morning he crashed again with completely different symptoms than a few days before (from renal failure symptoms to weird abdominal stuff that may have been some kind of cancer). It just started looking like an all systems failure kind of thing.

Seti was 14, and the best little kitty. I miss him so damn much.

Tags: personal kitty

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 14, 2015 5:44 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 18, 2015 9:57 pm

My aunt's cocker spaniel took our game pieces hostage to exchange for pork chops...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun May 24, 2015 11:31 am

My in-laws cat, Miss Spunky, would do this...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon May 25, 2015 3:20 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:35 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:03 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 pm

stegmuttosaurus...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 pm

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Postby resoundingjoy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 pm

I want a dog so bad! I've been looking off and on over the past few months for a pet-friendly apartment in the area that I can afford, but no such luck this year.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 am

Return to “Non-Fiction”