Pets...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Pets...

Postby Padfoot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 am

Timmy has mastered the cat-flap. He went on patrol for 3 1/2 hours (!!) yesterday evening. After 2 hours we got nervous and went searching for him, but he didn't show up. Mom was blaming herself for showing him how to use the flap, no matter what I told her. At half past midnight, he showed up in the kitchen, all innocent Image Image, "did you miss me?"

I guess he thoroughly explored his new realm and left his mark everywhere he could. I also guess he was well aware of us running around, up and down the garden, up and down the street, calling his name, searching for him. I suppose he hid somewhere and was amusing himself.. Image Image
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:56 pm

:thud: I'm so glad! Btw, has he been neutered?

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Yes, we were told so. And as far as I can see, it's been done (where's a scissor smilie when you need one?). :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:49 pm

:lol: I didn't want to use the "n-word" but I couldn't find anything in the way of smilies that came close.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 06, 2016 11:12 am

My friend's beloved Shih-Poo, Zoe, has died, after a short illness. I found this email from Mel this morning...

Dear Friends,

Friday at 1p there will be a little funeral for Zoe at The Pines Cemetery at 764 Riley Wills Rd, Lebanon, OH 45036. Coming south it is the first road on the left past the Hidden Valley Fruit Farm and the first driveway on the left on Riley Wills Rd.

Please, please, please don't feel like you have to come. I have no expectations. I know some people will not understand but this is something I need to do.

Melody

**************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Melody,

Duane has a doctor's appointment at 11 AM, and it's an important medication check. I don't know if I'll be able to get out there, and I really want to come because I loved her, too. I wish I'd had the presence of mind, the last time I saw her, to say goodbye. But, that's how it goes sometimes, and I have no doubt that she knew she had my heart between her paws.

I think what you're doing is simply wonderful. I'm here for you, if and whenever, Melody. My fingers are crossed that I might be able to attend Zoe's funeral, but even if I can't make it physically, know that I'll be right there in spirit.

much love for you
and the Zoe always,

sara

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Mel losing Zoe has made me take another look at Amy...

She's too heavy - I know she is. But, other than feeding her less, I don't what else to do. The worst thing about her are her feet. The vet who did the declaw actually split her toes (I don't know if he didn't stitch them properly or she pulled the sutures out), so that she looks as if she has 8 or 10 of them on the front feet alone; she does seem to hurt when she walks. Ergo, she needs to lighten a bit.

I'm putting her on a diet, cutting her back one quarter of cup, and counting out her treats so that she doesn't get more than ten a day (the package says two per pound of cat, not to exceed ten; I think she's probably about fourteen-fifteen pound, and I have never kept track.) I called the maintenance people yesterday, and as soon as the weather cooperates, they'll put up our shade screen on the balcony. Then I can let her go outside and glare at Nature to her heart's content :D .

We've been playing more - I think she needs more play time scattered throughout the day, even if we're only at it for a couple of minutes at a time; she gets snuffy rather quickly. If I spend more time with her, maybe that'll make up for what's in the dish? Well, it's always worked for me; don't ever marry an autistic person if attention matters to you, but it's too late for that advice now. Anyway, I know that when I'm feeling crummy, I try to get away with as little as possible and since the extraction I've been way less than I need to be.

Also, I need to figure out how to keep her from using the carpet as a litter box. Woke up at 6 AM and just missed stepping in it on the way to the wall switch. It's always stool - I guess I should be glad of that. She's gone back to doing that if I don't clean out the wet clumps first; geeze, I'm asleep! Otherwise I would.

What I'm going to try is to take the hood off of the tray, and see if that helps. Maybe her size is keeping her from keeping it together. I'll go do that now, and put the top in the closet...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 am

I think getting her to play more is a good idea, even if you're only playing for a few minutes at a time (Timmy's like that as well - a few minutes, and then he loses interest. But add that up 5 - 6 times throughout the day, and it's a workout). I keep telling my mom to play with him, when he wants her attention (she tends to feed him, but he wants someone to play with or to hold him).

I know the litter problem as well. Leah didn't use the litterbox until we put the hood off. Until then, she made herself a litterbox underneath the kitchen cornerseat. We had to clean the kitchen and throw the carpet away (I can't convince my mom that a kitchen doesn't need a carpet). But from the moment the hood was off the box, the problem was solved. Maybe it'll help Amy as well. Or maybe a jumbo box. Good luck!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed May 11, 2016 4:20 pm

It's the biggest box they make :paperbag: :lol: .

It's also the one we got her in (she was litter-ally brought to us in a used litter box - mean, the box was used and Amy was sitting among the clumps.) Her then mommy was telling me - with a touch of pride - that she cleaned the box every other day. Sorry, it's been over five years and I'm still steaming a bit. And that cinched the deal, besides seeing Amy's pretty face, peering at me through the plastic door of the litter pan, which they had taped closed to keep her inside. It could be that she's just too big for it anymore.
I never have a problem unless I haven't cleaned it from the previous time, and that's if she goes twice in the middle of the night. That's the only way I've missed it.

Anyway, she's used the tray #1 twice with the hood off - now I'm waiting for #2. Actually, I'm liking it open because I can tell at a glance; usually I have to peek through the opening in the dark. Right now, she's snoring on the bed behind me :D .

Thanks for the advice about playtime, Paddy. I've always had two cats and they kept each other occupied; this is the first time in years that I've had one all alone. She has toys that she plays with, but I can see that it's always better if I entice her into it.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 am

She cleaned the litter box every other day?? :wtf: Oh my... :redeyeroll: No, not saying anything more... :mad:

Timmy explored my living room last night. Since we've cleaned and prepared the other room for dry rot renovating, we had to stack my desk and some boxes in my living room. Timmy checked out these new climbing opportunities for him immediately (he's been wanting to get on top of the cupboard since day #1) and so he got on top of the cupboard and on the book shelves as well, where he smashed some framed pictures (I have nothing better to do at 4 a.m. but to pick up shards of broken glass, while Mr "guilty conscience on 4 paws" made a tactical retreat). Fortunately, he didn't injure himself, apparently he avoided stepping on the broken glass, I checked his paws and I didn't see any bloody footprints. And this was just day #1 of the renovation... :lol: :D :P

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Padfoot wrote:She cleaned the litter box every other day?? :wtf: Oh my... :redeyeroll: No, not saying anything more... :mad:

Thanks for that. For me, it's just like going to the loo and finding that the previous user didn't flush :mad: (you can be flogged for that in Singapore, I think. Or is that for spitting on the sidewalk :? ) Anyway, if it were me, I'd like nice clean litter each time :D .

Timmy explored my living room last night. Since we've cleaned and prepared the other room for dry rot renovating, we had to stack my desk and some boxes in my living room. Timmy checked out these new climbing opportunities for him immediately (he's been wanting to get on top of the cupboard since day #1) and so he got on top of the cupboard and on the book shelves as well, where he smashed some framed pictures (I have nothing better to do at 4 a.m. but to pick up shards of broken glass, while Mr "guilty conscience on 4 paws" made a tactical retreat). Fortunately, he didn't injure himself, apparently he avoided stepping on the broken glass, I checked his paws and I didn't see any bloody footprints. And this was just day #1 of the renovation... :lol: :D :P

Kess, my 19-year-old who passed away a few years back, was the one who always broke things.

A lamp, two shelves, a couple of figurines, a mug, and four vases. Not to mention running out the door at every opportunity. I used to say to Duane, "I know the day will come when I'll miss her doing this." She died February 2cd, 2014, and I must admit I don't miss any of it :paperbag: .

But I do miss her, and Tashie...my babies :( .

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 19, 2016 12:10 am

Well, the hood's back on the litter tray. Amy's been stretched out next to it in the closet, looking from it to me for a couple of days now. And if that wasn't enough, each time she'd use the thing, she'd jump out over the side and run for her life, like she was afraid of it.

I'm still taking up the rugs, just in case, for when I go to bed, because she hasn't always used the box if I haven't cleaned it in time. It's just one of those things I'm just going to have to do for a while.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 am

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm

:lmao: :lmao: This is sooo cat!

I hope this spot is available for you - it's really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R_hnHT8pU

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:34 am

Oh, that was so mean :lmao: ! I wonder if they'll do a sequel, and the dog'll have his day?

Return to “Non-Fiction”