Movie Re-makes You Would Like To See?

Any movies that don't fall under the other categories can be discussed in here
Halasian
Crimebuster

Movie Re-makes You Would Like To See?

Postby Halasian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:50 am

Usually when I hear a re-make of an older movie is in the works I cringe at what it will be like. To me, they seem to be more misses than hits, and show a certain lack of innovation and imagination among the movie makers, especially when they took a winning movie and try to change or add to it too much. But still, they can be good if done right I suppose.

One movie I would like to see re-made would be Kings Go Forth. It would be hard to find actors with the style of Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, and Frank Sinatra, but if it was re-made with a screenplay that had the darker, grittier edge and flow of the Joe David Brown novel had and remained true to its feel, I think maybe a re-uniting of Platoon alumni Johnny Depp and Full Metal Jacket alumni Matthew Modine, with Halle Berry as Monique could be very good.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good movie re-make?
Last edited by Halasian on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

ashbow
Crimebuster

Re: Movie Re-makes You Would Like To See?

Postby ashbow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I'd love to see a new version of Logan's Run

Others that would interest me

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Cool Hand Luke
The Great Escape
Swiss Family Robinson
Soylent Green
Kelly's Heros
Jason and the Argonauts

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:13 pm

I've never seen Kings Go Forth, Hal, but looking at the cast you mentioned I am definitely checking it out! What is it about?

And I've enjoyed every one of the original movies you mentioned, ashbow. What do you think of The Planet of the Apes remake? I love Logan's Run too, but the basis for Carousel doesn't work for me anymore, especially since I'm way past thirty :lol:. It's hard to think of what to replace it with, though.

Btw, I recently saw a remake of Murder on the Orient Express with David Suchet as Poirot. It was gritty, dark and the most riveting Agatha Christie book to film I'd ever seen. I mean, let's face it, her characters are mostly these drawing-room, upper-crusties that it's hard to drum up any sympathy for but I'm glad I saw this.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:04 pm

shireling wrote: I've enjoyed every one of the original movies you mentioned, ashbow. What do you think of The Planet of the Apes remake?

Didn't hold a candle to the original.

shireling wrote: I love Logan's Run too, but the basis for Carousel doesn't work for me anymore, especially since I'm way past thirty :lol:. It's hard to think of what to replace it with, though.

You could always try to run, runner

I hope they never try to remake A Clockwork Orange. It was just too spot on the first time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:57 am

ashbow wrote:...I hope they never try to remake A Clockwork Orange. It was just too spot on the first time.

The first time I saw it was at a drive-in with my boyfriend and his brother, while it was still under the x-rating. I was barely seventeen, the oldest and I drove - I can still see the smirk on the face of the kid who took our money and waved us in. I wish I could remember what I told my mother I was doing that night :lol:!

I read the book years later and, you're right, it was perfect. Malcolm McDowell was Alex.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:42 am

I don't think they could re-make Kelly's Heroes either. Telly, Clint, Donald, & Don, had a chemistry that worked well. They could take that story and really re-make it, with different characters altogether, but I can't see it working as well as it did in the 70's.

Didn't care for the Apes re-make. Heston and the original can't be beaten no mater how much CGI you throw at it. Same with Solyent Green.

I've never seen Kings Go Forth, Hal, but looking at the cast you mentioned I am definitely checking it out! What is it about?

It's a World War 2 movie set in Southern France with a tragic love triangle developing amid race relation tensions. Unfortunately the screenplay was "sanitised" some for Hollywood of the day. The novel was much darker, and I could see a bold director and screenwriter tweaking the 1958 screenplay to make it closer to the book.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Halasian wrote:(Kings Go Forth)...It's a World War 2 movie set in Southern France with a tragic love triangle developing amid race relation tensions. Unfortunately the screenplay was "sanitised" some for Hollywood of the day. The novel was much darker, and I could see a bold director and screenwriter tweaking the 1958 screenplay to make it closer to the book.

They did that a lot back then, unfortunately :roll: . I think I'll read the novel before seeing the film. Thanks :) .

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 am

I've seen some remakes that work, e.g. The Thing, but others such as Planet of the Apes just aren't as good because the director didn't get it. Ving Rhames (or was it Michael Clark Duncan?) did an excellent job, but the others were miscast. They did their best, but forgot what it was really about. And no one can do Charlton Heston's Taylor as well as Charlton Heston. If it ain't broke...

shireling wrote:And I've enjoyed every one of the original movies you mentioned, ashbow. What do you think of The Planet of the Apes remake? I love Logan's Run too, but the basis for Carousel doesn't work for me anymore, especially since I'm way past thirty :lol:. It's hard to think of what to replace it with, though.

Btw, I recently saw a remake of Murder on the Orient Express with David Suchet as Poirot. It was gritty, dark and the most riveting Agatha Christie book to film I'd ever seen. I mean, let's face it, her characters are mostly these drawing-room, upper-crusties that it's hard to drum up any sympathy for but I'm glad I saw this.

David Suchet is a great example of someone who gets it. His prissy Belgian is the definitive Poirot, for me. I can't see anyone else in the role. Jeremy Brett is the best Holmes bar none. Those flaring nostrils and jittery ways -- perfect.

As for a prospective remake of Logan's Run, they would have to raise the age to fifty to make it work.

I saw a film version of Brave New World where it just fell flat because they didn't get it, but I reckon you're right about A Clockwork Orange. I viddied it and it's horrorshow with a malenky bit of red red krovvy and the ultra-violence. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it, O my brothers.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:34 am

Candy Kane wrote:As for a prospective remake of Logan's Run, they would have to raise the age to fifty to make it work.

Nope, 50 doesn't work either :lol:! As it is, I'm already doomed in Deep Impact!

I saw a film version of Brave New World where it just fell flat because they didn't get it, but I reckon you're right about A Clockwork Orange. I viddied it and it's horrorshow with a malenky bit of red red krovvy and the ultra-violence. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it, O my brothers.

Righty-right! :yes:

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 am

My goodness, do you think they'll bother to remake the trashy actioners?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 am

Well, if there's a buck to be had and at least one still-twitching member from the original cast. Remember Charlton Heston as Thade's father?

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 am

Yes, I do. He was past his prime, poor chap. Oh, but he was great in his heyday.

PatriotBlade
Wyvern

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 am

I think I'd like to see Labarynth remade.
Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still UNWRITTEN...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 am

PatriotBlade wrote:I think I'd like to see Labarynth remade.

Gosh, I haven't seen that in years. I don't think I would, and for what's probably the shallowest of reasons :lol:. I loved David Bowie in this.

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Now that they remade True Grit, and will be making a new Big Valley movie next year, I was thinking of two other westerns I would like to see remade.

Little Big Man
Paint Your Wagon

Return to “Other Movies”