Dark Shadows trailer...

Any movies that don't fall under the other categories can be discussed in here
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Dark Shadows trailer...

Postby shireling » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:07 pm

I ran home from school every day to see this - even skipping my last class if I had to. :lol: I've got very mixed feelings about this. I loved Dark Shadows, I hated the 70's, and was convinced that disco was a plot to replace fluoride.
You've got to see this:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168123 ... ions.jhtml

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Re: Dark Shadows trailer...

Postby MsBrandybuck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:30 am

I saw this on TV tonight, LOL! I wasn't hooked on the soap opera, but I did watch a few episodes of Dark Shadows back in the day.
The trailer was................. interesting.

lOL @ your 70's remark. We had the worst decade for music, didn't we?! Even though we had the Eagles, Billy Joel, Foreigner, Queen, etc., we can't get away from the harsh glare of the disco ball. :P
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 am

I remember hearing about Dark Shadows in the late 1960's. It was supposed to be some kind of scary show. After watching an episode it was determined to be more of a comedy to me. Some folks thought it was scary.

I saw that trailer the other day. Looks like a campy kind of fun, especially with Depp over playing the part.

70's music to me will always be stuff by Jethro Tull, Yes, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, The Allman Brothers Band, &ca.
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

It's true, Ms. B. And thanks for reminding of me of those other bands, you and Tom. I know somebody was listening to it - they must have. Can't find anyone now who'll admit to it :lol:. Btw, I graduated from high school in '72. Interesting that they picked that year for the movie.

YES! OMG! I saw them in a high school gym in 1970 - when I could tear my attention away from my boyfriend and his new squeeze in the opposite bleachers. I picked up both albums they had out, as soon as I could, and my kid brother learned to play lead guitar listening to them.

Thank God for the alternative music stations of the day. I know I won't be able to resist seeing this, especially when you remember that they only had the one phone in the foyer of Collinwood, and Barnabas had no electric or plumbing in the Old House.

Just imagine if Willy Loomis had a cell phone that night in the mausoleum...

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 11, 2012 3:07 am

The movie opens tomorrow, but I can't bring myself to see it. After reading the only two reviews available, I just can't - even to see four of the original actors cameos I can't bring myself to do it.

Jonathan Frid died last month (I was the last to know), but he's in there, he's one of the four.

I liked Ed Wood, I watch Sleepy Hollow every time it's on but I loved Dark Shadows.

I cut an entire year of classes to see it, and if I had to I'd do it again, I would.
We got our first color TV during the series and I can still remember how taken we were with the show's opening - all those blues and the bold white lettering.

Barnabas Collins was so unique - now, guilty-feely vampires are a dime a dozen, but he was one of a kind. And it wasn't until I was in my twenties before I understood why Angelique was so ticked off at him. I got it, and I didn't blame her, at first. But as time goes on - centuries of time - you get over it, move on with your existence. Of course she didn't and eventually we were okay with that too. We laughed at Julia Hoffman's unlimited supply of sedatives, my mother got such a kick out of her...oh, I wish they'd just run the series again, dated as it is.

It would never make it now - just give Willie Loomis a cell phone, and it's all over.

Halasian
Crimebuster

Postby Halasian » Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm

I went to see dark Shadows last weekend and thought it was pretty good. If you're expecting the old TV series, well, this movie doesn't take itself as seriously as the old soap. But Johnny Depp as Barnabas did a wonderful job bringing the character to life. A true vampire, not the new age Buffy/Twilight sort. Overall it was well done even if it was a bit rough at times. I will probably add the DVD to my collection.
Dunedain Ranger in the Shadows

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Okay, I trust your judgement, Hal. A bunch of us are going when it reaches the dollar theatre.

Return to “Other Movies”