To enter the contest, all you have to do is pick one of the ten items below, fill in the blanks, and then provide the title of the movie your line would be advertising. For instance:
In a world where chewing is a luxury, only one man has the stomach to win. “Kobayashi”
Those of you who didn’t get that joke obvious don’t watch as much ESPN 2 as I do. Here’s another one:
Part Labrador. Part Poodle. All dog. “Labradoodle”
You can do just one, or tackle the entire list.
1. In a world where ______, only one _____ .
You know what’s interesting? Even though this is the mother of all movie trailer clichés, I couldn’t find a single actual trailer that used it. Anyone know of one?
2. Two ____. One ______. ______.
Weekend at Bernies: Two morons. One corpse. And the plot thickens…
Pathfinder: Two Worlds, One War. The Ultimate Battle Begins.
3. _______ brought them together. _______ [some conjugation of the verb “tear”] them apart.
Legends of the Fall: A woman’s grace brought them together. Then her passion tore them apart.
Up Close & Personal: Passion Brought Them Together… Only Success Could Tear Them Apart!
4. To _____ a ______, s/he must _______ a _______.
Silence of the Lambs: To enter the mind of a killer she must challenge the mind of a madman.
5. _______ _______ . _______ _______. _______ _______.
A B A C A D
ET: He is afraid. He is alone. He is three million light years from home.
Wayne’s World: You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. You’ll hurl.
Scream: Don’t Answer The Phone. Don’t Open The Door. Don’t Try To Escape.
Transformers (1984): Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest imagination.
6. _______ means never having to say ________.
Love Story: Love means never having to say you’re sorry.
7. He’s _______. She’s _______. _________.
High Spirits: He’s an American. She’s a ghost. Vacation romances are always a hassle.
Murphy’s Law: He’s a cop. She’s a thief. Together they’re running for their lives.
Pretty In Pink: He’s crazy about her. She’s crazy about him. He’s just crazy.
8. Part ______. Part _____. All ______.
Robocop: Part man. Part machine. All cop. The future of law enforcement.
9. ______ was just an average _______. Until one day ________.
Couldn’t find any real world examples. But I think South Park’s take on this cliché is the one to beat: “Rob Schneider is a Wall Street executive with everything going for him. Only problem is, he’s about to become a carrot!”
10. Just when you thought it was ______ to ______.
Jaws II: Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
My entries (I'm particularly proud of 5 and 7):
1. In a world where movie critics rule the roost, only one man dares to fight for his rights.
"UWE BOLL: FISTS OF FURY"
2. Two cops. One donut. Let's get ready to rumble.
3. A flat tire brought them together. A chainsaw will tear them apart.
4. To pwn a griefer, he must teamkill a noob.
"WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE MOVIE"
5. They fight for love. They fight for justice. They fight for a maximum of 37 hours a week.
"UNION OF HEROES"
6. Slipping out while she's still asleep means never having to say "I love you".
"HOW TO GET AHEAD IN WOMANIZING"
7. He’s a boy pretending to be a man. She’s a woman pretending to be a girl. Why don't you have a seat over there.
"ADVENTURES IN ONLINE DATING"
8. Part hedgehog. Part Pokemon. All FAIL.
"THE SONICHU* STORY"
9. Vlad was just an average vampire. Until one day he fed on the wrong teenage girl.
"TWIHARD WITH A VENEGEANCE"
10. Just when you thought it was ten to three.
"THE DAY THE CLOCKS ALL RAN SLOW"
*Google it...if you dare.