Favorite actors/actresses?

Enjoy the work of a particular actor/actress? Let us know about it in here.
Cassie
Wyvern

Favorite actors/actresses?

Postby Cassie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

So who are your favorite movie stars? I thought that if we discussed who we like, we could then branch off into individual threads about them :)

My top 2:

Anthony Hopkins - Probably the most 'natural' actor I can think of. Every role he plays seems to be effortless and comfortable for him. Plus he seems like a very down to earth person. My favorite role of his has to be Hannibal :D

Gary Oldman - I love the range of parts that he plays, and how easily he plays them all. Favorite role, he was the absolute perfect Dracula, even good enough to take my mind off of Keanu's awful English accent ;)
[Under Construction]

locksley
House Elf

Re: Favorite actors/actresses?

Postby locksley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Daniel Day-Lewis is my favorite actor, hands down. Sometimes I'm just in awe of the man's amazing talent and incredible range, and he's probably the most dedicated method actor out there.
I also like that fact that he's very selective in what roles he'll take.

Cassie, I love Gary Oldman as well. :)
"He walked into mid-autumn, hearing nothing but the winds. One night as he sat before his fire, vaguely feeling the winds urge against his shape, he looked down and saw the starred harp in his hands ..." (Mckillip, The Riddle Master trilogy)

Allegra
Mome Rath

Postby Allegra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 pm

My favorite actor was Sean Connery. That man was so good in his roles. I found that I couldn't take my eyes off him whenever he did a movie. It's too bad that he's decided to retire.

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:45 pm

My favorite actors are all dead :(

Cary Grant is probably my all time favorite. He did comedy SO well but also could carry a serious role when the movie required it. I prefer him in comedy though.

I also love Fred Astair. Singing, acting, dancing - definite talent. I wish more actors these days were so multi-talented.

For actresses, they tend to still be alive :p
I love Emma Thompson - she's so elegant and has a very calm sort of beauty.
Judi Dench is also a favorite. I love her in the TV show "As Time Goes By," though I've not seen her in one role I didn't like.
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:47 pm

It just occurred to me that most of my favourites are British! I really do like Sean Bean's acting. As well as being incredibly sexy, I think the man can play any role he wants but usually ends up in fairly poor movies anyway, "Troy" and "LotR" excepted, of course.

All the other actors/actresses mentioned are wonderful too. I think Helen Mirren is another actress worthy of note, alongside Judi Dench.

Until the sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean, I thought Johnny Depp was amazing and extremely versatile too, but now I'm afraid he's just Captain Jack Sparrow in everything only with a change of costume. His performance in "Alice" was great except that I kept seeing so many Captain Jack-isms.
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Cassie
Wyvern

Postby Cassie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 am

Azriel wrote:Cary Grant is probably my all time favorite. He did comedy SO well but also could carry a serious role when the movie required it. I prefer him in comedy though.

Cary Grant was wonderful! I grew up watching all the old movies, Singing in the Rain, North by Northwest, Kismet etc - Howard Keel, he was great in that movie, and what a voice!
[Under Construction]

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 am

All of my favorites are British, too - here and gone, guys and dolls. The other day I bought two DVDs - Henry V with Kevin Branagh and A Man for All Seasons with Paul Scofield. :D. Kate Winslet, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren - and on and on

:oops: and Elijah.
Last edited by shireling on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Azriel
Crimebuster

Postby Azriel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 am

Me too Cass! Love old movies.
When I was younger, my parents were crazy conservative about what my siblings and I could watch, so we ended up watching mostly old b/w movies.

I love Philadelphia Story, The Man Who Came to Dinner, all the Marx Brothers films... it makes me sad that a lot of people are missing out on these great films.

I only know Howard Keel from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but he really does have a distinctive voice.
Darn... now I have the first song from that stuck in my head...
"Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be, We ain't met yet but I'm a-willing to bet, you're the gal for me"
"The world of books is the most remarkable creation of man. Nothing else that he builds ever lasts. Monuments fall, nations perish, civilizations grow old and die out, and after an era of darkness new races build others. But in the world of books are volumes that have seen this happen again and again and yet live on, still young, still as fresh as the day they were written, still telling men's hearts of the hearts of men centuries dead."

annekr
N00b

Postby annekr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

I love Sean Bean and Daniel Day-Lewis - both seem to find a depth in the most unlikely characters which deepens your understanding of the character. They both have the ability to play a wide variety of characters- and I also find both of them very sexy!
Sean Connery is great - that voice is incredible and he has very expressive eyes!
Love Johnny Depp - but he needs to get out of the 'make-up fixation' he seems to have since POTC!
In the female line, I like Helen Mirren, Judi Dench and Meryl Streep.

highlyeccentric
House Elf

Postby highlyeccentric » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:03 am

I've become really fond of Karl Urban, myself! He was pretty spectacular as Eomer, obviously, but I was too young for him to be my type then. But as Dr McCoy - pretty damn attractive, and he brought a great depth to what was a fairly low-screentime role.

And as himself - he's HILARIOUS! I saw him talk at Supanova last year, and he was a crackup. :D Plus I had the amazing joy of witnessing Karl Urban fellate a microphone: can't complain about that. ;)

ElviraStarkeeper
Grumbling Murloc

Postby ElviraStarkeeper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:17 am

I think I know more about who I don't like than who I do... My favourites often change from genre to genre, and i sometimes get confused between being really really good and playing awesome roles fairly well >.>

I have to say, the entire cast of Firefly is brilliant! I'm also partial to Natalie Portman. She portrays emotions very realisticly and is very versitile, from what i've seen.

As far as the Johnny Depp thing goes.. I agree, he seems to be stuck as Jack. Still gotta love 'im though! Jack is pretty great!
You've got to change the world,
and use this chance to be heard.
But dancing is fine too :P

ashbow
Crimebuster

Postby ashbow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:39 pm

actor Rutger Hauer
actress (Hmmm..have to think on that..)

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:24 pm

You know, apart from the obvious (see threads below... :D ) I'd have to say that Timothy Hutton is my all-time favourite actor for, he has been so for almost 30 (!!) years now.

Other than that, I have a couple of actors/actresses I like, but that changes from time to time. Tim Hutton and Sean Bean have both been the constant ones :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Arwen#1
Evil Lair Tourguide

Postby Arwen#1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Margaret O'Brien, and Lesley Ann Warren have to be my top favorite Actresses. Also really like Katherine Heigl.

As far as actors: Viggo (of course), Gerard Butler, and Jason Statham... and of course, Sean Connery.
"We're all a little crazy, just some of us are better at hiding it."

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Arwen#1 wrote:Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Margaret O'Brien, and Lesley Ann Warren have to be my top favorite Actresses. Also really like Katherine Heigl.

As far as actors: Viggo (of course), Gerard Butler, and Jason Statham... and of course, Sean Connery.

Can't argue with any of those :) . You've got great taste!

"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Fandom”