Benedict Cumberbatch/Sherlock...

Enjoy the work of a particular actor/actress? Let us know about it in here.
Vairë
Crimebuster

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch/Sherlock...

Postby Vairë » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:06 am

Hi Paddy! :hug: :glomp: Good to see you too and some familiar names - Shireling!

It seems Walagata is up and running and I'm able to access my pictures again, so maybe he was on holidays or something when I was trying to contact him. :shruggy: Anyway, all is well in that department!

I'm going to have to get my daughter, our resident computer geek, to find these latest episodes of Sherlock and download them. She's a fan too so I don't think I'll have to do a lot of convincing. :)
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 pm

:paperbag: Vairë, I posted a greeting when I first saw yours, but deleted it so that it didn't get in the way of your question about Walagata. I am so happy to see you here :D .

Concerning Sherlock, I really didn't like the first one of this season. I understand why they did what they did; there's a whole behind the scenes segment to explain it, and I watched that, so I'm better now.

[spoiler-opinion]What's bothering me is the making of the characters into a story; crimes are committed against them, and they end up rescuing each other![/spoiler-opinion]

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Aw, thanks Shireling! :hug: It's great to be back! I'm re-reading LotR for the umpteenth time and thought about all the fun we used to have here - or at the old RB, I guess - so it's nice to reconnect with at least two old friends! I'm still in touch with Mistress but lost contact with Passo about 4 or 5 years ago now. :(

Did they air that behind-the-scenes segment, Shireling? Or did you find it on-line? I didn't read your spoiler. Should we watch the behind-the-scenes first, or the episode, do you think?
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm still in touch with Mistress but lost contact with Passo about 4 or 5 years ago now. :(

It's the other way around here. Passo's doing fine. She has been to Europe twice within the last years, visiting her sister in the Netherlands. We weren't able to meet, though, but that was up to me. She lost her mother in 2015 and of course she misses her, but otherwise, she's doing really fine.

How's Mistress?
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

That's good to know, about Passo :) . Every time I repost the Christmas song I wrote for her, she comes to mind. How is Mistress? It's been ages.

Did they air that behind-the-scenes segment, Shireling? Or did you find it on-line? I didn't read your spoiler. Should we watch the behind-the-scenes first, or the episode, do you think?

They ran the behind-the-scenes segment on TV, just before showing Episode 3 (it's 30 minutes long), and it went on to explain why what was done, was done, with the first two shows.

You shouldn't watch the segment, Vairë; I think you should just see the episodes and come to your own conclusions about them - then, if you want to, see the behind the scenes. Afterwards, I'd really like to discuss them with you, and see what you think. I don't want to influence you in anyway now. But, in the meantime, I will be doing the following :bang: .

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 am

Thanks for the update on Passo, Paddy! I miss her and don't know why she cut off contact. She, Mistress and I used to converse on another message board but she left and doesn't email either. :shruggy: I'm sorry to hear her mother passed away and I'm sure she misses her a great deal. My Mom passed away in 2014 (3 years ago yesterday actually) and I sure miss her so I know what Passo's going through. If you're in contact with her again, please tell her I say hi and hope she's well, and would love to hear from her again. :)

Mistress is doing very well, has a new job that she's really happy in and a new fella in her life that she's also very happy with. Her girls are doing well too - her eldest is holding down 3 jobs and also going to school! She's terribly busy and I haven't heard much from her lately.

:lol: Shireling! I'll get Katie to download the episodes and watch them asap. I won't watch that 30 minute bit then unless we feel we need to.

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Okay, we watched all the episodes. What a strange season! I'm not even sure what all that was about?! How do I access your spoiler-opinion above??

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:41 pm

If anything, you guys made me even more curious about season 4. :D No air date set for Germany, though. :roll: I guess I have to wait a couple more weeks... or months.. :roll:

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm

You haven't seen it, Paddy? Ok, I'll watch what I say then! Can you download it onto your computer?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 am

Vairë wrote:Okay, we watched all the episodes. What a strange season! I'm not even sure what all that was about?! How do I access your spoiler-opinion above??

This is the spoiler-opinion I posted:
Shireling wrote:[spoiler-opinion]What's bothering me is the making of the characters into a story; crimes are committed against them, and they end up rescuing each other![/spoiler-opinion]

Paddy, just forget you ever saw this :lol: !

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 am

Vairë wrote:You haven't seen it, Paddy? Ok, I'll watch what I say then! Can you download it onto your computer?

No and no. I will have to wait until we'll get to see it on TV over here.

Paddy, just forget you ever saw this :lol: !

Saw what? :lol: :lol:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Padfoot wrote:Saw what? :lol: :lol:

I knew I could count on you ;) .

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:41 am

Paddy, you might want to stop following this conversation for the time being. I don't know how to hide my comments and they'll definitely be spoilers!

Shireling, I wonder, given Sherlock's new outlook and disposition, if he's still considered a "high-functioning sociopath"? And what was the point of the old-fashioned Sherlock setting in the first episode? I've read a couple articles - well, one article in two different websites - saying something about them initially trying to get the stories back to the beginning or something. I don't understand. I'm guessing it was just another example of the elaborate drug-induced trip Sherlock was on?

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 pm

I just make my spoiler alert really really small - like 20. I miss the old way we could cover stuff like that, don't have it any more.

Vairë wrote:Shireling, I wonder, given Sherlock's new outlook and disposition, if he's still considered a "high-functioning sociopath"? And what was the point of the old-fashioned Sherlock setting in the first episode? I've read a couple articles - well, one article in two different websites - saying something about them initially trying to get the stories back to the beginning or something. I don't understand. I'm guessing it was just another example of the elaborate drug-induced trip Sherlock was on?

Your guess is as good as mine. Watson was married but it never became part of the story, and Conan Doyle never mentioned kids from that union. But at some point here, with Moffat, Mary becomes a liability? a problem? anything but an asset, and she's got to be killed off. Why even go there? Why have the marriage at all - let alone make her some kind of femme fatale/spy/aeon flux critter?
As for Sherlock, he considers himself a "high-functioning sociopath", and I like him that way (probably because I don't have him in my life.) I never even thought of the drugs until you mentioned that he might be tripping. I just loved the first season so much, alluding to the Doyle stories and having a modern take with Watson's blog, and I'm just so confused.

Is the series over? Is this the reboot? Will we ever see Moriarty again, and will Sherlock finally, finally squash him like a bug :D ? That's what I live for! I want him to have his pipe, his tobacco tucked in the toe of his Persian slipper, and if needs be, his seven-percent solution...that's plenty. Those are helpers to him. Oh, and if I never hear of Eurus again, it'll be too soon. All this time I never knew of this person, and I want that ignorance back! *mutters to self*

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 am

Yup, I can't help but feel that this season's storyline was too much convoluted pollution and I'd like to see a return to the old Sherlock as it was in the early seasons. Mary's character was simply ridiculous in my mind, and poor suffering Dr Watson was almost an afterthought in this season, didn't you think? About all he did was miss Mary and tag along after Sherlock. There was too much "warm and fuzzy" coming from Sherlock too, and Eurus - don't get me started! What was the point?? And are we to believe that she became a murderous psychopath because her big brother wouldn't play with her as a child? Whaaaaat?? There are plenty of great tales of Sherlock and Watson by Conan Doyle. I don't see why they couldn't work their way through them all, modernizing them as they go if they need to. I enjoyed watching them deduce things in the old-time frame without the use of technology we have today and think it would be a hoot if they swapped back and forth a bit with the stories, depending on the topic. I haven't read all the Sherlock Holmes stories yet but there are LOTS of goodies available.

Return to “Fandom”