Benedict Cumberbatch/Sherlock...

Enjoy the work of a particular actor/actress? Let us know about it in here.
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch/Sherlock...

Postby shireling » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 pm

You nailed it perfectly, sister :yes: . I guess we're not true fans because, if we were, we wouldn't be able to get enough of this.

I can't take any more Moffat. I can't *hysterical giggle*. I feel like two of my favorite characters, Sherlock and also, Doctor Who let's not forget, have been abducted and tortured by the cretinous love child of Professor Moriarty and The Master (though I do hold out some hope for my beloved Time Lord, at present.)

Vairë wrote:...There are plenty of great tales of Sherlock and Watson by Conan Doyle. I don't see why they couldn't work their way through them all, modernizing them as they go if they need to. I enjoyed watching them deduce things in the old-time frame without the use of technology we have today and think it would be a hoot if they swapped back and forth a bit with the stories, depending on the topic...

There are, and it's been shown that they are brilliant at doing just that. Thing is, they didn't have to have Mary, let alone homicidal Eurus - this is a retelling, an alternative universe, you can go wherever you want. Why would you want to torment them so? Especially John *sigh*. Of all the Watson portrayals I've seen over my life, Martin Freeman's has been the most difficult to watch. Not because he's not good - God forbid! I don't think that at all! - but because he has been so taken for granted. Nearly killed, in most of the episodes. It reminds me of the first season of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. where David McCallum played Frodo to Robert Vaughn's Sam. It only stopped when McCallum put his foot down and said either his Kuryakin was no victim and equal to Vaughn's Solo, or he was out of there.

I'm so sorry. I wanted so much for this to be good.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 pm

I haven't seen any of Doctor Who so can't comment, and I watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as a child (had a mad crush on David McCallum!) but don't remember what the dynamics of their relationship were exactly. It seemed that Mr. Solo was usually the brains of the operation and in charge, and Kuryakin was just eye candy, but I was pretty young when that was on tv and probably not even able to follow the plots. You must have the dvd's or have watched old re-run more recently! As for Martin Freeman, he IS an amazing actor, isn't he? Loved him in Hitch-hiker's Guide and his Bilbo Baggins was absolutely perfect, hands down.

On the topic of old shows and crushes, do you remember The Persuaders? Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. I always had a thing for Tony Curtis hubba hubba :bad: :thud:

I suppose a true Sherlock (tv version) fan would watch those episodes over and over until it all made sense, but I don't have the time to invest right now. It seems to me I wasn't too enamoured of the season before this one either but I'd have to watch again to decide. Again, no time! It was much easier to follow the earlier seasons, I thought. While you were watching the story unfold, it was confusing, but then Sherlock would explain everything at the end and it would all make sense. Lately, it's just not making a lot of sense and just seems ridiculous. :?
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Vairë wrote:I haven't seen any of Doctor Who so can't comment, and I watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as a child (had a mad crush on David McCallum!) but don't remember what the dynamics of their relationship were exactly. It seemed that Mr. Solo was usually the brains of the operation and in charge, and Kuryakin was just eye candy, but I was pretty young when that was on tv and probably not even able to follow the plots. You must have the dvd's or have watched old re-run more recently!

No, I watched them when the show was on in the '60s (I'm 62 now.) And I think you're right, I think they did consider McCallum as the 'pretty blonde sidekick'. My parents wouldn't let me watch it (they thought it was too violent), so I asked them to see it with me, and it became part of family night viewing. Don't know where I got the nerve.

As for Martin Freeman, he IS an amazing actor, isn't he? Loved him in Hitch-hiker's Guide and his Bilbo Baggins was absolutely perfect, hands down.

I loved his Bilbo, too. I can see why Peter Jackson wouldn't let go once he saw him. And also Cumberbatch as Smaug - that was just plain brilliant.

On the topic of old shows and crushes, do you remember The Persuaders? Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. I always had a thing for Tony Curtis hubba hubba :bad: :thud:

I don't remember The Persuaders, but Moore and Curtis? Oh, yeah. And I especially loved Tony in Tarus Bulba, The Vikings, and the reconstructed bath scene in Spartacus with Laurence Olivier...excuse me, but is it warm in here?

I suppose a true Sherlock (tv version) fan would watch those episodes over and over until it all made sense, but I don't have the time to invest right now. It seems to me I wasn't too enamoured of the season before this one either but I'd have to watch again to decide. Again, no time! It was much easier to follow the earlier seasons, I thought. While you were watching the story unfold, it was confusing, but then Sherlock would explain everything at the end and it would all make sense. Lately, it's just not making a lot of sense and just seems ridiculous. :?

Agreed. Sorry to say, but yeah.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Vairë
Crimebuster

Postby Vairë » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 pm

I wasn't really supposed to be up watching The Man From U either (past my bedtime) but my parents were often out those nights and my older brother and I had a deal that I'd go to bed right after the show. Otherwise, he had quite a fight on his hands! :lol: You're only 4 years older than me, by the way.

Yes, Cumberbatch can do no wrong. Loved him in Star Trek as well! :8

Oh gods yes, The Vikings! I even fell a little in love with Kirk Douglas in that one. I haven't seen Tarus Bulba but just looked it up and am wondering how I missed it - Yul Brynner is another most drool-worthy actor! :thud: Also just watched that bath scene on YouTube. Holy smokes! How suggestive, especially for that day and age! :evil:
ImageI am Vairë the Weaver, weaving the tapestries which cover the walls of the halls of Mandos and tell the story of all things within Time.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Vairë wrote:I wasn't really supposed to be up watching The Man From U either (past my bedtime) but my parents were often out those nights and my older brother and I had a deal that I'd go to bed right after the show. Otherwise, he had quite a fight on his hands! :lol: You're only 4 years older than me, by the way.

Enjoy them! They'll go fast!

Yes, Cumberbatch can do no wrong. Loved him in Star Trek as well! :8

Except for that time that he couldn't say 'penguin'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHPNKUMf70 @ 3:30, but the whole clip is a blast.

Oh gods yes, The Vikings! I even fell a little in love with Kirk Douglas in that one.

And then there's Spartacus! with Curtis and Douglas AGAIN!

I haven't seen Tarus Bulba but just looked it up and am wondering how I missed it - Yul Brynner is another most drool-worthy actor! :thud:

I couldn't forget that movie if I tried. My dad was into the whole, "I GAVE YOU LIFE!" thing. My favorite scene is where Brynner picks up Curtis and dumps him into the river/lake/can't remember what the body water was, but's it's really cute.

Also just watched that bath scene on YouTube. Holy smokes! How suggestive, especially for that day and age! :evil:

I know! It is so awesome! I have yet to eat snails, but it's on my list. Btw, the voice on the tape is Anthony Hopkins. I kid you not!

Most of Olivier's scenes were cut because some folks thought the movie was too long. Some was for censorship, but mostly because of length. Well, when it came time to fix it, and they gathered up all those clips, there was nothing left of Sir Larry's voice. So Joan Plowright, Olivier's widow, was called and asked whom she thought could do the best job of imitating him. And she said, "Anthony Hopkins." And so it is :D .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:35 am

:yay: Another baby boy for the Cumberbatch family! :cheers:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:45 am

Already? When? Where?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 am

I read about it yesterday, so I guess it happened a few days ago.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Fri May 12, 2017 9:17 am

Sherlock season 4 is due on June 4th, 5th and 11th in Germany! :D Finally!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri May 12, 2017 10:57 am

:yay: :poke: "git along, li'tle sherlock..." :yay:

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 am

So far, I have mixed feelings. I find it hard to keep track on the story - probably because I was only able to watch it partly, and considering the storytelling, that's not good. I understand the three stories are an arch (part 3 is due next Sunday), and I'm looking forward to the last part. I will definitely have to re-watch it, though.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm sorry. I forgot what you're watching, Paddy. What's it about?

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Well, we just had episode 2 and and we just me Euros. To be honesst, I didn't trust the woman in the bus anyway, I thought there was something fishy about her. Why John would feel attracted to her and want to get in contact with her (especially after pretty blunt coming-on at the bus stop) is a miracle to me.

The storytelling is pretty quick and I did miss a lot of the first episode, so I'm trying not to lose track of the story. The last episode is due on Sunday evening. I heard a lot about it in advance, but I want to see it myself to build my own opinion. :D

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Okay, now I know. I won't spoil it for you :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

I am utterly confused after this last episode. :? :?
OK, so there's Euros, the 3rd Holmes sibling. So far, so good. We knew something was wrong with the 3rd Holmes, since Mycroft hinted that much in season 3. So she was the lady in the bus. And the girl on the plane. I guessed as much... AND the therapist (OK, I didn't guess that).

Here are my questions:
    1. Was Moriarty Euros's puppet all the time?
    2. How did Sherlock, Mycroft and John escape the grenade explosion completely uninjured? This was most irritating and unrealistic IMO.
    3. Why on earth did Mycroft grant Euros's Christmas request to meet Moriarty? He kept emphasizing how manipulative she is all the time, and then he goes and grants her her wish, although he knew exactly who Moriarty was? That's a huge contradiction to me and completely incomprehensible.
    4. How did they manage to get John out of the well? His feet were chained to the ground, weren't they?.

I need to re-watch... :? :?

Return to “Fandom”