Aneurin Barnard...

Enjoy the work of a particular actor/actress? Let us know about it in here.
Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Aneurin Barnard...

Postby Padfoot » Wed May 20, 2015 12:49 pm

:paperbag: :slowblush: Like mine! :lol: :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 am

You have green eyes, too! I'll bet they're pretty :) .

Well, it's a wrap on War and Peace. There's another period drama he's in set about the same time, at least I think it is, called The Scandalous Lady

Natalie Dormer plays Seymour Worsley, a passionate, courageous woman at the centre of a very public trial brought by her powerful husband Sir Richard Worsley, played by Shaun Evans (Endeavour, The Lost Weekend). As this courtroom period drama unfolds, a woman’s worth and material value as one of her husband’s possessions are called into question. When Lady Worsley decides to leave her troubled marriage and elope with Captain George Bisset, played by Aneurin Barnard (Cilla, The White Queen), the truth doesn’t stay behind closed doors for long. - from BBC Media Center

It looks good :) .

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu May 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Found Mary, Queen of Scots on youtube, and watched it this afternoon.

From what I can gather, it was entirely in French (?), with some dubbing in English added (?) The music was very John Cage, when John Cage did move his hands over the piano keys - it reminded me of something out of Hitchcock, but Hitchcock was good.

It's a shame. I don't know what the point of the film was. There are other and much better movies about Mary, like the 1971 version with Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda Jackson. This was hard to watch. I thought the performances were good - Camille Rutherford was achingly beautiful as Mary, Aneurin was just as bratty and spoiled a Darnley as one could wish, all poxed up at the end, begging forgiveness and to be taken back into the queen's bed, just before he's blown to bits. But Mehdi Dehbi was wasted as Rizzio (I think it's because the director thought the audience must already know his proclivities), and Edward Hogg, who plays Mary's bastard brother, Moray, left me longing for Patrick McGoohan's tough-minded James Stuart. Also this Bothwell, portrayed by Sean Biggerstaff, was so much like Mehdi Dehbi (Rizzio) in appearance, that I'd forget who I was watching (and it didn't help that Rizzio kept showing up as a ghostly puppeteer, who delighted in insinuating that Elizabeth had the hots for her younger, prettier cousin.)

Everybody was very young in this - as they really were at the time - but there's none of the nobility, I saw, that one would expect from people who were raised to be in charge (btw, Darnley is introduced during a game of quoits - he gets hit in the face, and that's the first time we ever see him; where in hell did he come from? There's no introduction to the character.)

This was the director, Thomas Imbach's, first film in both French and English, and I think he could have used some help. But, now I can scratch another film off my to-see list...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon May 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Did I mention I ordered Moonfleet? It'll arrive some time this week and I can't wait to watch it. I know the Fritz Lang Movie but it's been ages since I watched it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue May 26, 2015 12:02 am

Yep, you did :) . I like this a bunch. It doesn't follow the J. Meade Falkner book very faithfully, or the 1955 movie all that much, but it's right up there with those wondrous Robert Louis Stevenson adventure novels. In fact, it was on ITV again (?), this past week (I think ?)

Btw, see Cilla, Paddy. I beg you, I beseech you, you will not regret it, I swear on the lives of all my Frodo action figures!

It is simply the best thing I've seen Aneurin do, and he makes me feel cheated that I never got to hear Bobby Willis sing. It's so damn good :cry: , I just love it so much, it breaks my heart every. single. time. Because I was just nine-years-old when I saw the Beatles for the first time, and that whole era of music is so precious to me *sniffle/weep/need tissues*. I need me some right now...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 am

Btw, see Cilla, Paddy. I beg you, I beseech you, you will not regret it, I swear on the lives of all my Frodo action figures!

It's already on my wishlist, since he got so much praise for it. :) Might take some time, but I definitely WILL order it.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks, Paddy. Geez, it's so hard to see his work over here! I can type in his name on my cable, and see some of his films listed - but, if he's not one of the first four names in the cast, they don't mention him. You can find The Truth About Emanuel and The Facility under his name, but unless you look up Ironclad (2011), you won't know he's in it (he's not among the first four actors.)

I literally stumbled onto "Jacob's Ladder", a Biblically-based show for kids that he was in back in 2003 (it was very good, I thought - filmed in Wales, 12 episodes set in the Old Testament.) It ran for months on a Christian channel for kids called SMILE, until it was dropped early this summer when TBN bought them out.

I've seen Mary, Queen of Scots online...I didn't like it, I liked Aneurin's Darnay just fine (and he did get good reviews :) ), but I think Mary's tough to portray. Now Lynn Redgrave was fantastic, I thought; she's spoiled me for every single one since - OMG! except for The MET's "Maria Stuarda", with Joyce DiDonato in the title role! OMG! I saw an HD matinee at the Regency, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house! This movie and the TV show cast too way young, and too silly - well, okay, she was silly...and I'm totally off topic here :blushy: .

Let me think...

I've seen just about everything to date, except Elfie Hopkins: Cannibal Hunter - the rest of his work is in post-production or on ITV :/ . I do my best.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:21 pm

On British TV beginning August 17th...you lucky people :( .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:58 am

I watched Moonfleet during our "hiatus". Hmmm. Where to begin? I think they tried to put too much into the 90 minutes. Some things weren't explained, some things and actions of the characters didn't really make sense (I suppose much more material was shot but left out in the cutting room) . No subtitles, not even in English. I had no problem at all understanding Aneurin, but I could hardly figure out what Ray Winstone was saying... :/ Ben Chaplin's Charakter was wasted. All in all I have to say it was mediocre. Not due to the actors, but it was just too much story for the limited time frame.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:35 pm

You aren't the first to complain. I don't know why they didn't take their time to tell the story. John Trenchard is younger - not as young as in the Stewart Granger film of the '50s - but old enough to have a first love.

Btw, I 'read' the book, and what seems like a weird way to end the film (how they end up on the shore of the place they set out from), is what actually happens in the story. The branding (true stuff!) was done on the face, on the cheek - made it kinda difficult to fit back into society, I think. There is a lot of detail, and the audio book was very entertaining - all 19 chapters. I went back to it after, with Aneurin's and the others' voices in my head, and it made for a much more satisfying experience :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Maybe I should get the book.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:45 pm

There are free downloads for it, or if you don't want to do that, you can read it online. It's old enough that you can get it in full. I found it in an audio library here: https://librivox.org/ and was able to pick up a print copy from my local library later.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Oh that sounds great. I can download it ony ebook-reader and listen to it. Will do next week!

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:22 am

Downloading it right now!

Return to “Fandom”