Lincoln

From the beginning of time to (almost!) present day, enter here to discuss historical movies
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Lincoln

Postby shireling » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 am

It's the latest offering from Steven Spielberg, screenplay by Tony Kushner (Angels in America), and based on "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

It follows the last months of the Lincoln presidency, which includes the end to the Civil War and passage of the 13th Amendment. It's chilling in that it so closely mirrors our times, with war and our current congressional nonsense.

I think it's brilliant - the writing, acting, settings - you are totally immersed in the time, and Daniel Day Lewis is Lincoln. He captures the man so completely, that when he was on the screen, I couldn't look anywhere else.
Sally Fields is heartbreaking as Mary Todd. David Strathairn, Joseph Gordon-Levitt , James Spader, Hal Holbrook (as Preston Blair, whose house is the residence of the current Vice President), Tommy Lee Jones, and S. Epatha Merkerson are all wonderful and you'll spot many others in cameo, like Lukas Haas and Kevin Kline.

My one complaint is an old one - the sentimentality. There are a couple of cringe-worthy moments (you'll spot them), but all in all, it was great way to spend a Saturday afternoon at the movies. It left this Lincoln fan feeling very satisfied.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Historical Movies”