Throne of Blood

From the beginning of time to (almost!) present day, enter here to discuss historical movies
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Throne of Blood

Postby shireling » Sat May 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Just finished watching another one of Akira Kurosawa's masterpieces - this one based on Macbeth.

It faithfully follows the 'adventures' of that sometime Thane of Cawdor/Glamis, with a cast who have all been remade as Samurai. The Japanese title is Kumonosu-jō, literally, "Spider Web Castle", and though you won't see one spider in the entire film, they are alluded to time and again.

Asaji Washizu, the wife of Taketoki Washizu - the warrior and most trusted courtier of the Great Lord - comes closest to the illusion of an arachnid in the center of her web. Sitting back on her heels, she never makes eye contact with her husband, even when he's just about in her face with rage, and speaks in soft tones - concentrating all her energies on the plot that she can plainly see laid out before them. A very subtle and scary Lady Macbeth.

I love this just as much as Ran, Kurosawa's nod to King Lear ...

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Re: Throne of Blood

Postby TomCotton » Sat May 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Kurosawa does have some masterpieces out there. The ones you mentioned are all very good along with Yume (aka Akira Kurosawa's Dreams) and The Seven Samurai. One of the quotes from The Seven Samurai has stuck with me for years. The translation goes something like "War is run in both offense and defense. When you can run no more it is time to die."
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Throne of Blood

Postby shireling » Sat May 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Never saw The Seven Samurai, so far, but I will be on the lookout for it.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Historical Movies”