What qualifies as being "a writer" ?

Writing suggestions, strategies, and struggles ...
shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: What qualifies as being "a writer" ?

Postby shireling » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

I know I'm not, a writer that is. I try to tell stories, and unfortunately, the story in me is always better than the story I tell.

Maybe it's the times, but I don't remember people being so critical as now. Critical is my choice of word - vicious, mean, cruel, not constructive and down-right heartless is what I see. For when a person puts a pen to paper - or finger to key - to tell a tale that won't sit quiet until he's rid of it, who am I to judge the way he tells it?

I don't appreciate everything I read. Sometimes it's above my experience and I just don't understand it. That doesn't mean it's lame, it just means it's beyond me and others will see it for the beauty that was meant. Why would you put your name to a creation that you didn't do your damnedest for? Certainly, not to be mocked - or if that is the case, than the writer is ill and deserving compassion for, obviously, he knew not what he did. Not every writer craves attention. There are some who plead for it and end up being sorry they did :lol:, so be careful what you ask for.

Other posts have stated it better than I have, that a writer writes and that's the only qualification the title needs. Good, bad, indifferent is in the brain of the beholder - writers write, and as I've said before, I'm not one. But I do admire those that do, and wish them all the best.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 pm

shireling wrote:I know I'm not, a writer that is. I try to tell stories, and unfortunately, the story in me is always better than the story I tell.

Oh, that one. I know it well.

Maybe it's the times, but I don't remember people being so critical as now. Critical is my choice of word - vicious, mean, cruel, not constructive and down-right heartless is what I see. For when a person puts a pen to paper - or finger to key - to tell a tale that won't sit quiet until he's rid of it, who am I to judge the way he tells it?

Sometimes people want to be criticised, but that's a different matter. Outright condemnation is not helpful at all.

I don't appreciate everything I read. Sometimes it's above my experience and I just don't understand it. That doesn't mean it's lame, it just means it's beyond me and others will see it for the beauty that was meant. Why would you put your name to a creation that you didn't do your damnedest for? Certainly, not to be mocked - or if that is the case, than the writer is ill and deserving compassion for, obviously, he knew not what he did. Not every writer craves attention. There are some who plead for it and end up being sorry they did :lol:, so be careful what you ask for.

Ain't that the truth?!

Other posts have stated it better than I have, that a writer writes and that's the only qualification the title needs. Good, bad, indifferent is in the brain of the beholder - writers write, and as I've said before, I'm not one. But I do admire those that do, and wish them all the best.

I think you do well enough for a person who says she is not a writer. Don't put yourself down. Actually, we have some brilliant storytellers here on RB, some of whom, in my opinion, simply need a bit of a buff and polish to make their work sparkle. I'm no exception to this -- I value concrit.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

MsBrandybuck
Wyvern

Postby MsBrandybuck » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I think this is an interesting discussion. Do we even put these qualifiers or exeptions to other pursuits?

My 20 year old daughter plays clarinet. She has been doing so since she was 11. She has said to others that she "is a clarienet player" although she does not get paid for doing this.

She is also a singer, though she does not do it professionally, but she has sung in several different, local venues.

So why be so bent on qualifying whether someone is a writer?

I would be the first to say that, "I am NOT a writer." I don't have any skill at writing/storytelling in a compelling manner, though I highly appreciate a well-turned phrase, an imaginative description and I am in gobsmacked awe of people who can accomplish this with apparent ease.

However, technically, I AM a writer. I am a technical writer. ;) I am pretty good at writing test or inspection procedures, and even validation protocols- interpreting those complicated flow charts with all their decision blocks and loops within loops and turning it into a plain, straightforward, easily followed set of steps from start to finish.

This is not my entire job, but it is a scope within my job description that I am expected to do proficiently and I believe I am rather good at it.

However, on a good day, I would not even consider to tell anyone that, "I am a writer."
"Today is a good day to die."
— Worf

Candy Kane
Psychic detective

Postby Candy Kane » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I suppose it's the connotations of the word. I mean, people tend to think of writers as being professional storytellers who transmit their stories via the printed word and that's how they earn their bread.

I tell people I'm a writer because that's what I do. I also tell them I'm a website designer. Do I earn a living from either activity? No. But it's what I do.
To err is but human, to forgive divine, and to design is AWESOME! :8

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 am

Writing Exercise...

I'm doing this!

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm

It's tougher than I thought :lol: ...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:22 pm

the occasional slip-up in fic where somebody writes “wonton” instead of “wanton” is such a gift - fuckyeahrichardiii

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:43 am

"Post Apocalyptic Fiction has been moved to our current affairs section." (Source: amandaonwriting, via blueandbluer)

Return to “Writing Discussion”