Voting

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Voting

Postby shireling » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

brutereason:

I wonder from where so many Americans get the idea that voting is supposed to be some expression of your deepest, most beloved values and virtues rather than a pragmatic, political move meant to shift your country as much closer to your ideal as possible. This strikes me as another example of extreme individualism. Voting isn’t about *you*. It’s about your city, state, and/or country. It doesn’t have to feel transcendently good deep down in your bones. It just has to *do* as much good as you can do, in this particular moment in time.

(via flange5)

This is why you shouldn't write in non-candidates. Why you shouldn't waste your vote. Why you shouldn't be smug and think you're so dead clever when you pull this nonsense. This is why you don't hold your nose and vote against a truly qualified candidate, because - idk - you don't like them personally, or you don't like their spouse, or what one of their supporters happened to say in in a thoughtless moment. You vote for the good of the nation as a whole. You at least try to act like a grownup, on one of the days that it truly matters, and consider the character of the person you want in the Office. - sara

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Voting

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 am

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 am

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 pm

This tweet is in response to the Virginia legislature who wrote that appalling bathroom bill against transgender individuals. Danica Roem, who happens to be a transgender woman, ran against him and won. She said she will never be disrespectful toward him, because he is now one of her constituents and she want to be an example of how to treat the people who have put their trust in her.

That's how a true servant of the people behaves.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 am

I applaud her.

(Paddy, I moved the rest of your post to RANDOM STUFF*. It seemed more appropriate there; I hope it's okay I did that. sara)
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm fine with it!
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm reposting this in view of the upcoming Alabama Senate Election on Tuesday, December 12th:

brutereason:

I wonder from where so many Americans get the idea that voting is supposed to be some expression of your deepest, most beloved values and virtues rather than a pragmatic, political move meant to shift your country as much closer to your ideal as possible. This strikes me as another example of extreme individualism. Voting isn’t about *you*. It’s about your city, state, and/or country. It doesn’t have to feel transcendently good deep down in your bones. It just has to *do* as much good as you can do, in this particular moment in time.

(via flange5)

This is why you shouldn't write in non-candidates. Why you shouldn't waste your vote. Why you shouldn't be smug and think you're so dead clever when you pull this nonsense. This is why you don't hold your nose and vote against a truly qualified candidate, because - idk - you don't like them personally, or you don't like their spouse, or what one of their supporters happened to say in in a thoughtless moment. You vote for the good of the nation as a whole. You at least try to act like a grownup, on one of the days that it truly matters, and consider the character of the person you want in the Office. - sara

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

btw, thank you Alabama! God bless!

Return to “Politics”