President of the US?

What's your prediction?
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Who'll be the next

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

*tumbleweeds*

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 am

Well done, US :) And clearer than expected. Though, considering the standoff situation in congress and senate, the upcoming four years won't be easy for the President.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm so glad it's over, and I think the main thing is not to rub it in. So far, so good.

It's been just awful here - you have no idea how rancorous, how just plain poisonous the atmosphere has been, almost from the beginning - and I hope you never do. I think Governor Rommey's concession speech should set the tone - it definitely does it for me. It was gracious and I applaud him for that, no doubt the President's would have been like it, had the outcome been reversed. That said, I am very, very pleased and very much relieved.

We were visiting my brother-in-law Phil, who lives a local nursing home, and I'd been holding my breath for my dad, my friend Juanita, him and my son - among the most vulnerable people out there. For a little while, now, they're okay, and I am so grateful, so grateful...It's finally okay to cry.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 pm

:hug: You're right, I have no idea, and I really can't imagine it to be like this during our elections (next year). Of course, there'll be debating, discussion and the occasional bickering and attacking. But no way will it be like in the US.

I heard Governor Romney's concession speech this morning, and I have to congratulate him on it, he chose his words really well. The Presiden'ts response was likewise. I still hope the parties might stop blocking each other now, and start working together for a change. This goes for both our countries, because over here, the government is currently more or less blocking itself due to disagreements within the three parties, they keep hacking at each other as if they were opponents, not allies. :roll: . Currently, I'm sick and tired of our government. Problem is, the opposition isn't better. :roll:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:23 am

My heart goes out to the folks who, for whatever reason, just can't stop being so filled with hate and spiteful - it seems beyond them, like the emotions have a life all their own. As relieved and hopeful as I am, they're that scared and angry. As bad as I feel for them, I know they only talk to each other and don't listen to anybody else, so while it upsets me, I go from that to wanting to comfort them to wanting to avoid them all together.

For example, I saw signs of the President's face, with the little Hitler mustache painted on, in my own city! I saw that, on the tree lawn beside my favorite post office, so if I wanted to mail a letter, I had to drive through this gauntlet of hands filled with flyers to get to the postal boxes.

Legally, they could say what they want and as long as they weren't on the actual property itself, they could stand wherever they want. But, I'll remember what they look like, and should I run into any of them as I go about my days...well, let's just say I hope I don't. I don't think I'm a big enough person to let it go, and I'll never be that good an actor.

Btw, if I hear one more person say it has nothing to do with race, I will scream so loud that a substance resembling guacamole will run from the ears of everyone within the sound of my voice! Do they have any idea how ridiculous that sounds - the comment about race not being a factor, I mean, not the guacamole thing? Any? At all?

Okay...that felt good...I may do it again though...later...if I feel the need...I mean, to write about this, not the guacamole thing...

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 am

For example, I saw signs of the President's face, with the little Hitler mustache painted on, in my own city!
Image Image

I've been worried about the racism issue as well, because I always thought it might be relevant. :/

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Padfoot wrote:
For example, I saw signs of the President's face, with the little Hitler mustache painted on, in my own city!
Image Image

I've been worried about the racism issue as well, because I always thought it might be relevant. :/

Oh, yeah. :roll: And I wish we could come up with another word instead of 'racism' because race is a myth. Humans are humans, Homo sapiens - Habilis, Erectus, Australopithecus afarensis and Neanderthals are all extinct, in the sense that they no longer exist as separate breeds of humans. And that's what meant by race. Race denotes species. Dogs and cats are separate races - or species - which is why we don't have catdogs.

But, dogs and cats of different varieties can have beautiful puppies and kittens within their separate 'racial' groups. If we were different 'species' of people, we couldn't have viable kids with each other or the kids wouldn't be capable of having their own kids - like mules can't have baby mules. You can only get mules by crossing horses with donkeys.

I love the diversity I see around me and the older I get, the more I love it :) .

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I wonder when Trump will start praising Hitler for his achievements... :paperbag:

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:40 pm

I think this whole thing is starting to unravel...O sweet Jesus, make it so!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:36 am

I'm just disappointed in this whole thing. I can't believe that there are this many people who are so spite filled, and hateful that they'd identify and vote for a man such as that. Duane and I were just wondering how our folks would have handled this - but, then we remembered Edward R. Murrow and Senator Joe McCarthy.

Not the same thing, by a long shot, but we were closer to WWII, then. The Holocaust was very fresh in everybody's' minds, and I don't believe for a minute that if Senator Joe was running for President, that he'd have gotten very far. Certainly not as far as a Party nominee. But I don't hate Mr. Trump; I don't have the vitriol in me that I've been seeing against Secretary Clinton, and I don't understand the hatred at all. Mr. Trump won the nomination because enough people voted for him; they liked what they saw and that's how they went. It's not his fault - he is who he is, and apparently always has been. You can say that about anybody who has gotten this close to The Office - that the people took them there. He didn't hold a cannon on the GOP; they picked him, fair and square, and now they've gotta dance with the one they brung, in spite of all the regret.

The general election is nothing like primaries. As someone who was in that first crop of 18-year-olds, I never got to vote for the guy I wanted. Bobby Kennedy was dead long before 1972; the best I could hope for was to be adding my voice to what I believed would have been his second term. In 2012, from the Conventions to the night before the Elections, I was getting robo-calls from Romney's campaign.

I was approaching 60 then - ergo, I was magically transformed from what I'd registered as to the other party. I was repeatedly invited to these Victory Rallies by the robo-calls (I'll never forget the night the Romneys and the Ryans passed out snacks and washed dishes in my son's former high school; I wasn't there, but I saw it on the news.) That's when I started turning off my landline ringer.

Anyway, here's hoping that this ends up with the First Woman President. I always believed that I'd see both a minority man and a woman in the White House in my lifetime, and the most qualified, experienced people have risen to the occasion. All I can do is my own part. I wish my dad was here for this.

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:20 pm

So now it's Obama, founder of IS...

If it weren't so bloody serious, I'd laugh my ass off.

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 pm

That was just sarcasm, doncha know :roll: ?

It's getting to be such a burden. The last eight years of President Obama trying so hard to get things done, and he did a lot, in spite of the House Republicans. He more than made up for the previous eight years of #43 and Cheney. Evenso, the Honey and I were on pins and needles both of the last two elections; I don't know about him, but I didn't feel like I could take a full breath until the count was in and President Obama had won the second term.

This thing with Mr. Trump is so much like the situation I've had with The Bane (he who shall not be named, but everybody who knows me in the flesh, knows who I mean.) He will say whatever he needs to say to achieve what he thinks - and he's always right :roll: . He's a misogynistic, narcissistic, sanctimonious know-it-all who routinely uses sarcasm as a weapon (so I know sarcasm when I hear it, Mr. Trump), and you call The Bane out at your peril. He routinely bullies, manipulates, and counts on the goodwill of others (i.e., forgiveness, sin-covering eye, charity, etc.) to maintain his influence.

What's so sad is that nobody seems to know what to do with people like this. There's a whole political machine that can't in the case of The Donald, and I used to think that it was because we all refused to stoop to his level that The Bane could keep this up - is that the same with Mr. Trump? If so, then takin' the high road doesn't seem to do a bit of good.

...I can't help wondering if there isn't something wrong with him. Something neurological. There are people who knew him back in the day, and they're saying that they don't recognize him. I can't say that I've ever paid any attention to him before this, and now, you can't really get away from the guy, not if you own any kind of electronics; I have no idea what he used to be like, this is all I know and it scares me. I keep hoping that I'll find some kind of comfort in what I read, see and hear, thinking that the more I know, the more sense this will make. Pffffft!

Return to “Politics”