Richard the Third's Funeral...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Richard the Third's Funeral...

Postby shireling » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 pm

It just dawned on me that things are very different now, and he was a Catholic monarch, so he probably won't get a state funeral. From where I sit, the difference between Anglican and Catholic is very slight, as far as their Sunday services go (an Episcopalian friend of mine calls it "Catholic Light".)

I know theology is quite different. George Bernard Shaw sees Joan of Arc, as one of the first Protestant martyrs (as well as women's equality)...

Joan was burned as a heretic, thus martyred, for two primary reasons: (1) even though Joan never denied the Church and although she constantly turned to it for solace, she was, in essence, the "first Protestant" because she listened to the dictates of her own conscience and her own reasoning rather than to the authority of the Church; (2) she was "the pioneer of rational dressing for women," yet for this so-called unwomanly and, thus, unnatural act, she was burnt at the stake...
(from Cliff Notes, Preface to the play "St. Joan" by George Bernard Shaw)

At my Ruhi Book 1 class last night, we were divided into couples and I was with Helen's Scottish uncle. One of the quotations we covered had to do with confessing sins, and who to. He didn't share what his faith is with me (I told him that I was raised Roman Catholic, and he did mention the Congregation in Edinburgh) but I think we had the best discussion of anybody there. But I digress.

I would just really like to see him have what he might have, if things had been very, very different. And I don't think it's ever too late to do the courteous thing, and leave a mark worthy of remembrance. After all, the Romanov family got their Russian Orthodox funeral; Tsar Nicholas II is not even a century removed, and was not loved so well either.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Richard the Third's Funeral...

Postby Padfoot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 pm

From where I sit, the difference between Anglican and Catholic is very slight, as far as their Sunday services go (an Episcopalian friend of mine calls it "Catholic Light".)

I see it the same way, but then, being a Lutheran myself, I don't know too much about both churches. The most obvious difference is of course that Anglican priests are allowed to marry, and that - some 20 years ago - the Anglican church (grudgingly :D ) accepted the introduction of female vicars.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: Richard the Third's Funeral...

Postby shireling » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm very fond of Lutherans because of Garrison Keillor's monologues on A Prairie Home Companion - but there's a whole lot of Minnesotan mixed in there, too :) . I figure there's not a lot of lutefisk church suppers being held elsewhere :lol:.

'By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me! Engage!'
Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Religion”