RIP Big Butter Jesus...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

RIP Big Butter Jesus...

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:46 am

At approximately 11:15PM on Monday, June 14th, 2010, a direct lightening strike completely destroyed the 4 ton, half million dollar statue known as The King of Kings in Monroe, Ohio. Also known as "Big Butter Jesus" and "Touchdown Jesus", it was the property of Solid Rock Church, off exit 63 on I-75.

Built by a Florida contractor, it was shipped it in pieces for assembly in 2004. It was 62 feet high at the tallest point, made of foam, wood and resin wrapped around a metal armature. Pale butter-cream in color, it depicted a bearded, wavy-haired man from the waist up, the upper body clothed in what appeared to be a loose-fitting robe with both hands skyward in the score position - hence its other nickname.

You either loved, hated or shrugged it off and now it is no more...Well, Maryanna, now we'll never know what its aging patina might have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ksuOaI61g&feature=related

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

resoundingjoy
Disturber of Cthulhu's Slumber

Re: RIP Big Butter Jesus...

Postby resoundingjoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:33 pm

That was quite the thunderstorm that came through last night, wasn't it?

I wonder if it was insured... and if they will report that an "act of God" destroyed it!

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Re: RIP Big Butter Jesus...

Postby shireling » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes it was and we're not done with the rain yet. I don't know if the statue itself was insured, but I think as part of the property - well, insurance doesn't cover "acts of God", does it? It's hard to believe it's gone. We've driven past it at least eight times a month every month since it was built.

I was surprised to find out what it was made of - and the weight of it. If it cost $500,000 originally - and I'm guessing that was all inclusive from blue print to construction - I can't imagine it being rebuilt of the same highly-flammable, mostly petroleum based materials now.

There's got to be a parable somewhere in this.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Return to “Quirky”