Blobfish...

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Blobfish...

Postby shireling » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Blobfish live deep in the ocean, where pressures are exceedingly high. In fact, the blobfish's gelatinous appearance is actually a brilliant adaptation — its gooey, pudding-like flesh allows it to stay buoyant at depths where gaseous bladders can't function. (from Mother Nature Network)

...This is one of the funniest fish faces in the ocean, although you’re not likely to see a blobfish since they live in very deep water off Australia. In fact, it’s pretty rare for anyone to see blobfish, although they’re sometimes taken in nets hauled in by Australia’s deepwater fishing fleet. They really do look like a big, blobby tadpole, just a mass of pale, jelly-like flesh with puffy, loose skin, a big nose, and beady, staring eyes. But looking like a floppy water balloon is what actually helps the blobfish make a living. This guy just sort of floats above the sea floor so it doesn’t have to spend a lot of energy swimming around, sort of like when you float in the water wearing a life jacket.

Blobfish seem to grow only to about 12 inches, about as long as a comic book. No one has seen them feed, but scientists think blobfish probably just open that big mouth and let little particles drift in—this is not a critter built to chase down its food. (from Weird Fins)

In case you ever wondered where the creator of Ziggy came up with the artistic concept, wonder no more... (from SCI)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... est-animal

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Re: Blobfish...

Postby Padfoot » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am

The blobfish reminds me of a bag with a face... :lol:
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

TomCotton
Vampire Slayer

Postby TomCotton » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 pm

There are some real weird looking fish living in the deep ocean. :)
§Doug§ AC000000 Eamus Catuli!!!!
Audere est Facere
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." Philip K. Dick

shireling
Frodo's Stewed Coney

Postby shireling » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

I would love to know how it evolved. It looks just like my Uncle Henry.

"I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all." - St. Brigid of Kildare

Avatar courtesy of Candy Kane, Webmistress Extraordinaire and Slayer of Trolls

Padfoot
Rampaging Blood Elf

Postby Padfoot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lol:

I would love to know how it evolved.

Me, too.
Imagerichardkf7 by Martina Immel, auf Flickr

Return to “Quirky”